Grand Circle Holland & Belgium In Springtime.

jowahe

I just returned from this river cruise with Grand Circle, April 7 thru April 24, including the pre cruise extension to Brugge and the post cruise extension in Amsterdam. It was all wonderful including the weather. The only rain was a little during one day in Antwerp, the rest of the trip was warm and sunny.

GCT's river boat, "M/S River Melody" was very comfortable and well maintained with the most professional crew and staff possible. The three Program Directors were fabulous. The Captain was gregarious and friendly at all times. The food served in the dining room was delicious and varied and the complimentary wine served with dinner was appreciated.

The flowers were in bloom everywhere. Keukenhof Gardens with its 700,000 tulips was a sight to behold.

In addition to our Program Directors, we had local guides at nearly every village and attraction. Grand Circle provided each of us with headsets so hearing the guides was not a problem.

I booked my flights with Grand Circle and they were very well planned. Transfers were included.

In all respects, Grand Circle Travel did a wonderful job and I will certainly travel with them again.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for your review. We are thinking about this tour in 2012 & it is driving me absolutely crazy trying to decide which company. I HAVE done the spreadsheet and I am leaning toward Grand Circle Travel.

But, I keep reading bad things about them on this site. However, I just read yesterday where they are consistantly in the top of Conde Nast's Gold List. Avalon, AMA, Viking & others are not. However, Uniworld is.

I have pretty much ruled out AMA. They are a little higher priced per day than some of the others I have looked at. They do offer free wine & beer with dinner but we don't drink. They do have free bicycles, but we do not care to bike. They pack a lot of itinerary into 8 days whereas others are 10 or 11 days. We like a slower, more relaxed pace. In short, I think they may be more suitable for the youngsters---say in your 50's. :D We will be 65 next year. :eek:

I have not ruled out Viking and I can't find as much information on Uniworld as I would like.

My wife and I took the Uniworld Tulips and Windmills tour last year and really enjoyed it. Everything jowahe said about Grand Circle follows for Uniworld. They do an outstanding job.

We are taking three more cruises with them this year since we like the others we have taken with them. We particularly like the relaxed pace, the great food, the wonderful staff and cruise directors, and the professional tours.

Their boats are in very good shape and well maintained. Conde Naste rates Uniworld very highly and it is well deserved.

Good luck in selecting a cruise line -- but whatever you decide, definitely go to Holland and Belgium in the spring.

Archived