Can you take a taxi from Falmouth to Doctor Cave's Beach

gam888

How much would a taxi cost to Doctor Cave's Beach from Falmouth? Is it safe to do so? We are 4 people docking in Falmouth. Wonder if we can hire a taxi or a local tour company to the beach and save the ship excursion. Otherwise is there any other beach club towards Montego Bay or Ocho Rios we can go to ?

How much would a taxi cost to Doctor Cave's Beach from Falmouth? Is it safe to do so? We are 4 people docking in Falmouth. Wonder if we can hire a taxi or a local tour company to the beach and save the ship excursion. Otherwise is there any other beach club towards Montego Bay or Ocho Rios we can go to ?

Four of us were in Falmouth on Thursday, April 28. The new port is pretty nice but they have a sign to "independent Taxis" and busses. All the taxis and busses that leave from inside the port gates (black, hard to miss) are price regulated. They quoted the 4 of us for

roundtrip to Dr Cave Beach, riding in 1 taxi, at $160. Ridiculous. They charge per person rather than by vehicle as in the states. So we walked outside the gates but did not cross the street, stood on the corner at the gates and after MUCH discussion got a guy to quote $80 on the condition that we would then "take care of him", meaning he wanted an extra tip. We later found out that if we had crossed the street we would be dealing with unregulated drivers.

I must say, as a frequent international traveler and knowing what I know now, that I would probably cross that steet next time but I would be VERY cautious beyond that. The area outside the gates gets intimidating fairly fast.

The locals have done a nice job building the port and I felt very safe on grounds, however.

Thanks for your reply. Just curious, the taxi driver who took the 4 of you to Doctor Cave's Beach charged you $80 + tips, that's a return trip right? Did he wait around for you guys while you were there? What other extra did you have to pay at the beach, for admission, chair, umbrella? I presume it's not an all inclusive ? (we want to pay just for drinks and chairs..etc). Does the beach have soft sandy and calm clear water? Did you visit Montego Bay at all? I am tempted to book the RC shore excursion, it's a bus that takes you to DC Beach, then a boat to take you out snorkeling for an hour, then beach time for an hour or so, then a catamaran ride along the Montego Bay shoreline, and a stop at Margaritaville (which I don't care for). They charge $79 a person, free drinks on the Catamaran ride. I think we can save a lot if we can take a taxi then whatever the beach entrance cost. We have always booked locally before for all our previous ports. But for Jamaica we have heard enough bad stories I want to be safe. Please share more details with your trip. Thanks.

Well it's a long story but we ended up not going to Dr Cave. The couple we were traveling with were scared and also offended by the charges. However, we have been to Jamaica many times and have heard many first-hand accounts of that beach. I don't think this site allows us to give specific info but if you search "doctors cave beach reviews" the very first thing that comes up is link to reviews from a particular popular site that has photos of the beach, taken two weeks ago. I emailed a woman who went and she confirmed white, high quality sand, good service but poor quality food.

The $80 plus tip would be all you pay to get there and back and the driver waits for you. A local woman named "Rosh" serving Red Stripe at the beer booth told us we could get a really low price by crossing the street. She may even know someone in particular to refer you to. It's very political there. Go for it and good luck.

Indeed we are going to Cozumel and I am looking for a beach that you can just pay for drinks and not all inclusive. We are not that into snorkeling so would rather have a soft sandy beach with clear calm water. We went to Paradise beach last time and would like to try a different one this time. No need for beach toys we have no young kids. Tell me about Mr. Sanchos. The third port we are going to is Labadee in case you have any tips for that port too. Thanks!

Are you going to Cozumel? We went to a FABULOUS beach called Mr Santos and have a ton of info if you need it.

Hi CrazyCruiseCouple, would love to hear your information on Mr; Sanchos in Cozumel.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...