Tahiti tenders?

cruisekids009

hi

I'm looking at visiting tahiti as 3 ports on a celebrity solstice cruise from sydney to hawaii in april 2013.

In order to convince hubby that we NEED to do this one I need a bit of info on tenders to Moorea and Bora Bora in april. Can anyone tell me what the average weather is like there at that time of the year, is there much of a chance that the sea will be rough, causing the ship not to anchor and send the tenders over?

hubby is a bit concerned that we will be so looking forward to tahiti and not get to do it, that the decision is mostly based on weather he wants to risk missing a port in tahiti.

While one can never predict the weather 100% anywhere in the world...It must be noted that cruise ships anchor inside the protection of the reef(s) at both Bora Bora and Moorea(either Cook's or Opunohu bays)...

If it's a really windy day there could be some minor chop to the water and being in any boat there will usually be some level of pitching...However the tender trips are only a few minutes each direction from ship to shore.

As for the ship not anchoring/providing tender service at all -- Generally the chances of that would have more to do with specific islands/atolls where the entry channels are either shallow in depth and/or may be affected by large swift moving tides...Of my knowledge neither at Bora Bora or at Moorea are those situations as prevalent as they may be at other locations.

Of course in extreme stormy weather the captain will obviously use his discretion for the safety of his vessel/its passengers and there's usually going to be some chance of the canceling of ports of call due to inclement weather...Yet I would suggest that those chances are extremely minimal...

Talk hubby into the trip;)...The wife and I were there in Dec. and had a really fun time.

thank you so much for your reply. It was exactly what I was looking for in regards to anchoring inside the reef etc. Instinct was telling me that tahiti would have reasonably well protected bays that the ships anchor in.

we just recently missed mystery island as a tender port, it's not well protected and I believe it was high winds making the approach unsafe.

time to work on hubby now :D

Archived