Anyone else received this mailing from Cozy Reservation Center ?

Bookish Angel

I received a postcard (first clue to a probable scam) from Cozy Reservation Center in Staunton, VA saying that I have been selected to receive "... a complimentary* (clue #2) four-day cruise for two including round trip airfare to your port of departure.

I called the toll-free number but got a message listing only weekday hours (clue #3) and left a message for a return call on Monday.

The bottom of the card says "This is not a timeshare or land sale offer" so I am curious as to what they are hoping to sell to me with applicable "certain restrictions," of course!

I Googled the toll-free # and it comes up as a business (duh) at the address on the card.

Just curious to know who might also have gotten this mailing.

If this was me I would not pass go just go to the nearest circular file and file it. Actually a shredder would work also.

They are certainly trying to sell you somethng and by the time you ever did get a cruie out of them you would wish you didnt start in the first place.

What starts as "free" becomes very expensive with their service fees and other costs added on. We "won" a "free" cruise at an office Christmas raffle one year. We tried, unsuccessfully, to jump through their hoops to get our free cruise. After we had to send the service fees, the cruise was just a small percentage off what a cruise would cost by going through the cruise line to book.

They had special dates that we had to choose from and would be glad to give us any date we wished if we just sent a small service fee on top of what we'd already paid. At that point, the cruise became more expensive than just booking ourselves so we decided to cancel. Then we tried to get our money back. No toll-free number when you want your money back! So after days of getting stuck on hold for hours, we finally got our refund.

This was a few years ago. Since then, I always run the other way when I get an offer of a "free" cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

The company did call me back and explained that both my husband and I could receive the "free" cruise "just" for attending a 90 minute sales pitch for some sort of shopping software.

I said "no, thank you" and the call ended politely. At least they did not try to keep me on the phone.

Archived