Our day in Costa Maya at Mahahual

2FromTN

We just got back a week ago from a trip on RCI's Splendour of the Seas in which we visited Grand Cayman Islands, Costa Maya, Belize, and Cozumel. I have compiled a fairly lengthy journal/review and posted it on my website (it all wouldn't fit here). If you are visiting any of these ports you may get some helpful hints from it. I have also uploaded a bunch of photos which you can look at.

Here's the link:

http://cruising.thestansfields.com/splendour2005Journal.asp

Specifically if you are interested in what we did in Mahahual, please check out Day 4 at the link above.

If you have any questions, please post here or send me an email from the link on the website.

first saw your photos when you posted on the RCI board and just read over your journal..........sad to see what happened to Grand Caymen..........made me want to book a future cruise that includes Belize.........introduced me to the fishing village of Costa Maya I missed last time......... and reminded me of how much I enjoyed Cozumel........:)

nice to see the ship I will be on later this year.........thanks for sharing with us!

Sharlene

We're going to be cruising on the Splendour of the Seas out of Galveston on December 24, and will be visiting the ports that you mentioned.

I appreciated the information you provided, and I'll be showing it to others in our group of 15......or more!

Moonstoners:)

• 3 weeks later...
We just got back a week ago from a trip on RCI's Splendour of the Seas in which we visited Grand Cayman Islands, Costa Maya, Belize, and Cozumel. I have compiled a fairly lengthy journal/review and posted it on my website (it all wouldn't fit here). If you are visiting any of these ports you may get some helpful hints from it. I have also uploaded a bunch of photos which you can look at.

Here's the link:

http://cruising.thestansfields.com/splendour2005Journal.asp

Specifically if you are interested in what we did in Mahahual, please check out Day 4 at the link above.

If you have any questions, please post here or send me an email from the link on the website.

thanks for your info on costa maya... we also are docking in cozumel... id like to do some shopping, any place you would recommend?

thanks for your info on costa maya... we also are docking in cozumel... id like to do some shopping, any place you would recommend?

Without question, go to Los Cinco Soles. It's at the north end of town and it had a great selection of items and we thought the prices were the best too! They have a website if you want to check them out ahead of time http://www.loscincosoles.com/home.htm. My son wanted a onyx chess set and we found a medium size one for $19. Some of the other stores around there were trying to get $40 for the same thing. Overall the prices in Costa Maya were inflated compared to Cozumel so do your main shopping in Cozumel. Have fun!

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! That was an awsome review! I have been to all of those ports except Costa Maya and I am axnious to check that one out. I am in the process of looking a your photos which all also great. I will be cruising that same iteranary with my 7 siblings and mates on Dec 3 on the RCI Legend.

Kathy in Maine

Read your review! Thanks! I am on the Carnival Miracle with the same itinerary this weekend.

The internet cafe in Costa Maya...name? location? easy to find? I am very interested in that! We wont' be calling home, but we will be emailing.

Thanks!

Thanks so much for the review and the photos -- the water is just gorgeous! We're going to be there in less than two weeks - I'm really looking forward to it!

Would you mind telling me which beach you were at on Costa Maya? Was the experience - aside from the snorkeling - positive?

Thanks!

Steph

Thanks so much for the review and the photos -- the water is just gorgeous! We're going to be there in less than two weeks - I'm really looking forward to it!

Would you mind telling me which beach you were at on Costa Maya? Was the experience - aside from the snorkeling - positive?

Thanks!

Steph

We took a taxi into the fishing village of Majahual and grabbed a beach chair in front of the Tapa restaurant. They came out periodically and asked if we wanted anything to drink or eat. They didn't charge for the chairs and we didn't feel preasured to order something every time they stopped by. We did get a few drinks and had lunch there and it was very good.

Steve

Read your review! Thanks! I am on the Carnival Miracle with the same itinerary this weekend.

The internet cafe in Costa Maya...name? location? easy to find? I am very interested in that! We wont' be calling home, but we will be emailing.

Thanks!

I can't remember the name but it's in the shopping area at the port so you can't miss it.

• 2 weeks later...
I can't remember the name but it's in the shopping area at the port so you can't miss it.

I found it....it's Mayan Connection...you can make phone calls from there too...$1.50 per minute back to the US.

Internet was pretty fast, and I got everything done that I needed to get done in about twenty minutes or so while hubby was enjoying some drinks at the bar around the corner. Staff was friendly and the place had GREAT AIR CONDITIONING! LOL!

Stef

We took a taxi into the fishing village of Majahual and grabbed a beach chair in front of the Tapa restaurant. They came out periodically and asked if we wanted anything to drink or eat. They didn't charge for the chairs and we didn't feel preasured to order something every time they stopped by. We did get a few drinks and had lunch there and it was very good.

Steve

We did the same thing...their food was good...dont' miss the fried bananas...those were awesome! Everything was good...we drank Coronas, ate and played in the water for about four hours...and headed back to town.

Here's a secret...if you want one of the single swing hammocks, go all the way down to the end of the 'shopping' in Mahahual and bargain with the guy down there on the right hand side. I landed a very nice one for $16. One of the shop keepers back at the port got quite upset at the price I paid...he was screaming and stomping around..that was a sight to see. Oh well.

Stef

Enjoyed the detailed review & the photos. Taking my family on the same trip next April & are planning already. I wondered if you had good expieriences snorkeling in any of the ports & what were the locations you might recommend?

Thanks Thomas

My favorite place was Grand Cayman but that may be because that was where we paid to go snorkeling (Coral Gardens). I did go snorkeling from the beach in Costa Maya and Cozumel but it didn't compare to Cayman. I'm sure there were some good places but you probably have to pay and we just wanted to kick back at the beach.

Steve

Enjoyed the detailed review & the photos. Taking my family on the same trip next April & are planning already. I wondered if you had good expieriences snorkeling in any of the ports & what were the locations you might recommend?

Thanks Thomas

snorkeling was great in Grand Cayman but awesome in Cozumel....we took the Nativeway excursion in Grand Caymen(stingrays and coral gardens) booked on our own and the catamaran sail, snorkel, beach excursion(Fury) through the ship in Cozumel.....

have read that there is great snorkeling off the beach in Cozumel at places like Dzul Ha - don't have to book an excursion to enjoy it and the only cost is cab ride & snorkel equipment rental(if needed)

What great pictures- especially of the cave tubing!! What kind of camera did you use on the cave tubing excursion?

Thanks-

We had an Olympus D40Z 4MP digital. I had a waterproof camera bag which I kept the camera in while getting in and out of the tube and then took the camera out of the bag while in the cave.

• 3 months later...

Help me figure out where Tapas is - Please- We just got off the sensation. Asked the taxi to take us there- But they dropped us off at the edge of the fishing village and we seemed to walk forever- way past Pez Quardo which we ended up coming back too, which was great, but I wondered where TApas was- How much further down the road, it seemed to be the end of the shops etc so we turned around. A rain storm kicked up and sand was blowing everywhere for 15-20 mins, so what seemed like a long walk, may not have really been. Just wanted to try the other bar next time and was curoius.

Thanks

Angela

Help me figure out where Tapas is - Please- We just got off the sensation. Asked the taxi to take us there- But they dropped us off at the edge of the fishing village and we seemed to walk forever- way past Pez Quardo which we ended up coming back too, which was great, but I wondered where TApas was- How much further down the road, it seemed to be the end of the shops etc so we turned around. A rain storm kicked up and sand was blowing everywhere for 15-20 mins, so what seemed like a long walk, may not have really been. Just wanted to try the other bar next time and was curoius.

Thanks

Angela

It was about half way through the little village. As you are walking from where they drop you off, it was on the right hand side of the road. It wasn't a big place, just a little restuarant with some tables . They have an area in front across the street where you can sit in some chairs and you can order drinks and food.

Thanks for the info! I hope I have better luck next time, finding it, but we had great fun anyways! I think our cab driver was not wanting us to find it too easy, he seemed to be wanting us to stop where he dropped us.

Angela

Archived