May 27 Insignia to Bilbao

estamm

I don't understand! We are going to Bilbao on a Monday when the Museum is closed. The tours seem to include the interior of the Museum. Are they opening it just for us???:confused:

I don't understand! We are going to Bilbao on a Monday when the Museum is closed. The tours seem to include the interior of the Museum. Are they opening it just for us???:confused:

This type of thing can go either way. I have been on Oceania tours where a museum did open for us on a day that they were normally closed (that was in Santorini), or, you may find that the tour is canceled because they cannot get you in.

I'd suggest that you book the tour anyway, with the understanding that you have a backup plan very much in place.

:mad: Yes, I am very disappointed. When I called Oceania, I, too, was told that the tours had been pulled. It appears the museum is indeed closed to all, unlike in St. Petersburg, where there were several cruise ships in and they specially opened the Hermitage.

Frankly, the best thing about the Guggenheim in Bilbao is the exterior. The "art" collection is very mediocre. Make sure you cross the river so you can admire it from the other side.

Bilbao is a very nice city, with an old town that's very attractive.

I agree.

We found the old part of the city and the cathedral interesting.

The exterior of the Guggenheim was much more impressive than the collection.

Be sure to walk around it and cross the river on the new bridge (Zubi-Zuri) to see all angles. There are several outside sculptures including, when we were there, Puppy, that were interesting.

We took a taxi from the ship and then a taxi back. There is a taxi rank on the street leading away from the Puppy.

Archived