Day Sail and Seasickness

junker

I am fine on the cruise ship (do not wear a patch), fine on a 17' boat on a lake, did fine on an all-day speed boat tour of Antigua, as long as the boat is moving, but ----

I do not do well when the boat is stopped in the water, and rocking. I really want to book a day sail in St Thomas, but I am very concerned about how much rocking and rolling these sail boats do, especially when they are stopped for snorkelling or for lunch.

Please share with me your experiences, especially those of you prone to seasickness who nonetheless took a day sail. I guess I could take Bonine, but not sure it would work.

Thanks!

I think the answer to your question really depends on where the boat goes that day. Most days the water is fairly calm (9 out of 10) and you should not have any issue with this at all. I would be sure to tell the captain your concerns when you board and I am sure they will be happy to pick a calm spot like Hawknest Bay, or Maho Bay where the water is calmer, vs anchoring in the lee, where it could be alittle more rockier.

I personally have never experienced a real rough day sailing in the VI, except when I was younger (14 or 15) and was at sailing camp. We took the boat (s) that day from Soper's Hole, Tortola to Bitter End (actually Biras Creek) Virgin Gorda and a tropical depression whipped up during the day. Made for an interesting sail with frequent distant lightning strikes on the water. It got worse at night and required a watch to be held with frequent anchor checks every 1/2 hour to be sure we were still holding firm.

All in all I would not let this stop you from enjoying a day sailing in the VI. It's probably one of my favorite things to do there. Something special about sailing along in turquoise waters as green islands rise up around you. You'll definately see the VI in a different "light" after spending the day on the water.

Scott

We have done two day sails on sloops in St. Thomas. The first was out of Red Hook and I had no problem whatsoever. The second was out of Havensight and I did get ill on the way back in. We were sort of rolling side to side on that trip.

DH never has a problem on the ship either and never wears a patch. We always do a private day sail in St. Thomas and for the first time, 2 years ago, he became very ill. The seas that day weren't even that bad (we have had worse since); but now - he always puts on a patch before our day sail. We travel through Pillsbury Sound to St. John on a 45' sloop. I think it's just a hit or miss as to how the rocking is and as to how the Captain of your small boat handles the motion. Good Luck; but I do agree with previous poster - don't let this fear interfere with taking a private day sail! Good Luck and have fun.

• 3 weeks later...

I get seasick and have taken excursions on sailboats, catamarans, jet skis, etc. I don't get sick when the boat is moving at a fast clip, but it's a different story when the boat is anchored. The rocking makes me very queasy. There's nothing worse than being sick while stuck on a boat all day.

My solution is to take Dramamine or Bonine BUT to only take a quarter to a half pill. If I take a whole pill, I sleep through the entire trip. Therefore, taking a smaller dose curbs my seasickness and allows me to stay awake and enjoy the fun. Perhaps this solution will work for you, too.

Archived