Query: Do I go to Mendoza before cruise?

NewCruiseFan

I'm heading back to Buenos Aires at the end of this year. I arrive a few days before my cruise, which starts in Ushuaia.

I had been thinking about spending two nights in BA then one night in Ushuaia. However, I have an opportunity to fly to Mendoza and wanted opinions.

The side trip is on my dime and would require flying back to BA in order to fly to Mendoza. Would it be worth it to head straight to Mendoza on arrival, spend a couple of nights there, then spend one night in BA and fly directly to Ushuaia?

The idea of doing wine tasting in Mendoza is very appealing but the thought of more flying after 16 hours in a plane is not so appealing.

Are there good alternatives to going to Mendoza? Any wine shops in BA with great service and knowledge? Any good wineries just outside BA within easy travel distance?

help!

If you are contemplating this, you should do it either BA to Mendoza and then Mendoza to Ushuaia (probably via BA as you note). It looks to me like time is a significant factor (three nights total before your cruise) and I don't know the flight schedules. Be careful, most internal flights in Argentina used to leave from Aeroparque wheile international flights originated in Ezeiza and the trek from one to the other is at least an hour to 90 minutes.

With those caveats, Mendoza is very different from BA and from Ushuaia. It used to be part of the Argentine Wild West (land of the gauchos, etc.) and is worlds away from the feel of BA. It is now the center of a major wine-producing area although lots of ranching still. It is a very pretty region, highlands right up against the Andes. Winery tours can be very interesting as can be drives up into the Andes themselves (and on over into Chile should one be so inclined). One of its attractions is that it is well off the beaten American tourist map (although many people speak at least some English).

Unfortunately, if you only have a day or so immediately before or after a long flight and need to worry about airport transfers, etc., I would think that this is just too little time to really get a chance to see and enjoy much of the area. I hate to discourage a visit to Mendoza, as it is a place I have visited and enjoyed several times, but unless you can dedicate at least two to four full days, I think you are pushing it.

As to your last question, BA is a very sophisticated city and I am sure that there are very good wine shops in BA, although I don't know what they are off hand.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy Argentina - it is a truly fascinating country.

AJ - Thanks! After not a little angst I decided against the side excursion to Mendoza - I want to enjoy the trip and not feel like most of it was spent aboard a plane.

I'm currently seeking wine shops or restaurants in BA that offer educational type wine tastings (as opposed to drink a lot of wine tastings!)

Archived