Summit ??

Boatingmom

Can anybody tell me if this southern Carrib sailing over easter vacation is suitable for a family of four? Children will be 13 and 15 at the time. Will they be bored?? If so can anybody recommend a cabin??

Can anybody tell me if this southern Carrib sailing over easter vacation is suitable for a family of four? Children will be 13 and 15 at the time. Will they be bored?? If so can anybody recommend a cabin??

It is a great time to cruise. We just did the Summit over our spring break. It was an extremely port intensive, beachy cruise for us. There was only one sea day and that was our last day. We really enjoyed our Concierge Class 3 cabin on Deck 8. Also, our room was connecting so you could get two cabins that connect in the middle of the room.

jdvmd Were these balconies? What cat do I ask for. New to Celebrity. What were the kids activities?

Yes, these are balconies (Category Concierge Class 3). It looks like you cannot put four people in one cabin in Concierge Class but you can do two and two. Celebrity is showing 9120 and 9118 available. I assume you are looking at the April 7, 2012 sailing of the Summit from San Juan.

If you don't mind sharing the space with the kids, you all could do a balcony (Category 2A, 2B or 2C).

Also, you could do a balcony for you and your husband and then find an inside across the hall.

Our son went with us on this cruise and he is 13. He hasn't done the kid's activities for several years. They did put the daily information in the cabin, however. Typical teen activities. Your kids won't be the only ones on the cruise as typically Easter vacations are most schools spring breaks -- at least that is when ours is.

We loved the Summit and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the S. Carib. Itinerary. It is a very port intensive cruise and even I, who love to be on the go all the time, could have used an extra sea day. We were glad we booked an overnight in SJ at the end of the cruise to relax.

Keep in mind that the Summit is being Solsticized this winter and some of the cabin categories will be changing with the addition of aqua class. I have the new deck plans if you need them, courtesy of one of our CC posters.

If you can get one of these, and if they will not have changed in the Solsticizing, that would be my recommendation for a family of 4. Yes, I know that the web site will say they are sold out, and then someone will tell you that they only book for 5 people, But I recommend you DO pursue this. Three times I have sailed in a corner FOV with only two people - of course we had to wait for those cabins to become available for 2 - usually after final payment.

The layout is really nice, with a bedroom and a separate living room that has sofa beds. These are aft cabins, and the balconies are huge, :) especially if you are able to get a corner one. Only DIS advantage is that there is just one bathroom. But there is lots of storage space. If Concierge class amenities are important to you - this category does not have them.

My recommendation is that you encourage your travel agent to try to book one of these for your family. If that is not possible, go ahead and book a cabin or cabins that you will be happy with, but continue to watch the Celebrity web site, especially after final payment, to try to get one of these great cabins!

We just came off the Summit last week Easter week. It wasn't vacation week for most since Easter came late this year. It was a great cruise. I posted a review. The Summit does 2 southern caribbean itineraries. Both are great.

Regarding children. This is my opinion but I honestly think they will be bored. There were some children aboard but not many. We have three. 17, 15 and 8 and we both said that this wasn't the ship for them. We didn't bring them and would choose another ship besides Summit for them. Hardly any activities for them. I'm not a seasoned cruiser but I think Royal Caribbean or Princess would suit you better based on my research for a family. I would highly recommend it for you and yor husband though.

As far as cabins I highly recommend the aft rear facing. Oversized balconies with amazing views. Conde Nast Traveler even calls these the best cabins on Summit. They have some family value afts that will hold 4 but they are not concierge if that matters to you. If it does, you can always get 2 rear facing afts C1 or 1 rear facing aft C1 and one inside.

Good luck.

After cruising during Easter vacation week several years ago, I respectfully disagree with Want2Cruise 701. There were MANY children onboard - enough that X hired extra security. :eek: They all seemed to be having a great time and, for the most part, seemed to be well behaved. If that cruise was any indication of a typical Easter vacation cruise, your children should enjoy their themselves and have the opportunity to make friends with other children their age.

Archived