Boat ride/beach

blondietink

I understand that this port really doesn't have a beach unless you do a snorkel tour out to the cays. However, they are expensive, IMHO. Both of my kids have disabilities and can't snorkel, so it would be a waste of money to book a snorkel tour to just sit on the boat after we got out to the cays. But, my kids love boat rides. Is there a service in Belize that is offered that will take you via boat out to one of the cays for the day and then pick you up later? :confused: This would be ideal for us, but haven't been able to find anything.

I understand that this port really doesn't have a beach unless you do a snorkel tour out to the cays. However, they are expensive, IMHO. Both of my kids have disabilities and can't snorkel, so it would be a waste of money to book a snorkel tour to just sit on the boat after we got out to the cays. But, my kids love boat rides. Is there a service in Belize that is offered that will take you via boat out to one of the cays for the day and then pick you up later? :confused: This would be ideal for us, but haven't been able to find anything.

Take a water taxi over to Cay Caulker. Rent a golf cart. Drive around, have lunch take the water taxi back. http://www.guidetobelize.info/en/travel/belize-water-taxi-timetable-guide.shtml

Look on this board for info on Caye Caulker what to do and renting golf carts. Or this site http://www.gocayecaulker.com/ Just note that water taxi times are Belize times and may not be the same time as your ship's time. Plus last tenders to ships are usually n hour before ship sailaway time. Nevertheless, if your children can get in and out of tenders and boats, they'll have a great time.

This sounds perfect for us! :D Yes, my kids can get off and on a boat with no problem ..... we have a small fishing boat ourselves as well as a jet-ski, so they are very used to boats.

How far is the water taxi from where the tenders drop you off in Belize?

This sounds perfect for us! :D Yes, my kids can get off and on a boat with no problem ..... we have a small fishing boat ourselves as well as a jet-ski, so they are very used to boats.

Maybe a 5 minute walk. Hang left out of the TV entrance.stay on the same side of the street. Just say no to the people hawking tours and such. They're aggressive but not harmful.

I think they spruced the terminal up some this past year so I don't have recent pics, but zoom this map and you'll see where it is. http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/belizemaps.html

Schedule is here. http://belizewatertaxi.com/

If you're on Caye Caulker and heading toward the Split, you might see a guy with a grill and a couple of tables on the beach. That's Carlos. Best $5 lunch in the world. If he's cooking its what he caught fresh that morning. Not always there though.

There are two companies that run water taxis over to Caulker.

San Pedro Express is located immediately adjacent to the cruise tender "tourism village." It's basically just separated by a chain link fence. Walk out of the village, turn left, then take your first left into the courtyard of the next building.

Caye Caulker Water Taxi Assoc is a bit further down - probably a 5 minute or so stroll depending on your pace. It is right before the "swing bridge."

Cost was about $20 per person, round trip. CCWTA gives a slight discount if you purchase a round trip ticket (but only if you purchase it when leaving Belize City). The two companies departure times are staggered a little, so if you've missed the departure of one you can likely catch the competitor's next boat sooner than waiting at the company you missed. Due to the scheduling, many people just buy a one-way ticket when leaving the mainland, then buy the return ticket when they are ready to come back. The flexibility, imho, is worth the couple of dollars per person savings that you forego.

We went in early January (my wife & I, along with our 8 & 5 y/o sons). We loved it - very laid back, casual, relaxing place to spend the day. It's approximately 45 minutes each way on the boat. Food & beverage on the island was very affordable.

Archived