Advice for best mayan ruins?

rkmom

We will be traveling on the Miracle in July, going to Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Belize. We are having trouble trying to figure out the best shore excursions. We've heard GC and Coz have the best snorkeling, so we plan to do that there. Are the ruins in Belize (Altun Ha? Lamanai?) or costa Maya (Chaccoben) better? We have been to Tulum in 92, and enjoyed but wondering how these compare. We thought it might be neat to do cave tubing or something really unique in Belize, so that leaves Costa Maya for ruins. Anyone been there and think highly of them? Recommendations for best guides?

Thanks! KL

We will be traveling on the Miracle in July, going to Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Belize. We are having trouble trying to figure out the best shore excursions. We've heard GC and Coz have the best snorkeling, so we plan to do that there. Are the ruins in Belize (Altun Ha? Lamanai?) or costa Maya (Chaccoben) better? We have been to Tulum in 92, and enjoyed but wondering how these compare. We thought it might be neat to do cave tubing or something really unique in Belize, so that leaves Costa Maya for ruins. Anyone been there and think highly of them? Recommendations for best guides?

Thanks! KL

I've heard the Altun Ha/River Wallace tour in Belize is terrific. We'll be sailing on the Miracle 7/17. When in July are you going?

KL - if I remember correctly, you are on the 7/3 Miracle with us.

This is what my family is doing (so far):

Grand Cayman - Capt Bryan Buccaneer sting ray/snorkel tour

Costa Maya - Beach day (unless we can't get the Altun Ha/River Wallace tour in Belize, then we'll do the Chaccoben ruin tour)

Cozumel - snorkeling with Eagle Ray Divers, then heading to Paradise Beach

Belize - Altun Ha/River Wallace tour (if not, then not sure, really wanted a beach day somewhere and not sure if Belize is the place for it).

I've been checking the Carnival site for excursions, and there are very few currently listed (I'm hoping they post more before we sail).

We'll be on the 7/17 sailing of the Miracle and are plans are:

GC and Cozumel - snorkeling/beach/shopping

Belize - cave tubing

Costa Maya - Chacchoben ruins

I've also been to Tulum before, it was a while ago though. It was a Tulum/Xel-h\Ha Lagoon excursion out of I believe Playa del Carmen, which was absolutely amazing. We really wanted to do the cave tubing in Belize, which left Costa Maya for the ruins, which we're excited about. Getting to see excavated ruins plus ruins that are being currently excavated sounds really cool.

We will be on the 7/3 sailing. Thanks to everyone for their comments. We sort of want to see some rainforest areas in Belize--is the best way to do that the cave tubing or the trip to ruins, or something different like the Baboon sanctuary? :confused:

I'm also wondering exactly how long it takes to tender in each of these ports, when the last tender is (so, how much time we REALLY have in port)--will we have any time to look around the villages / shops, etc. before or after tours?

In Belize we took the altun ha excursion. did the rain forrest tour. stopped at a neaby place for chicken, beans and rice lunch.(5 bucks) plus shopped at the pier and still had plenty of time back on the shipbefore we sailed.

In Belize its a longer tender ride--20 minutes compared to 5 in grand cayman.

We just recently sailed on the Carnival Glory (beautiful mother-ship!). We did a private tour with a wonderful Belizian tour guide (I'll give you info on her if you want it). She speaks perfectly good English, but looks as though she could be Mayan. She gave us a tour of the city, took us out to Altun Ha Mayan Ruins and lunch at a nearby resturant (Mayan Wells) for a genuine Belizean lunch. The ruins at Altun Ha are not as extenstive at the ones at Tuluum in Mexico, but nice just the same. There is one partcially excavated temple that you can climb at your own risk and another bigger fully excavated temple you can climb which actually has a hand-rail for safety. Also a few smaller structures. At the end of the Mayan ruins tour she took us on a short 5 min. walk through the edge of the rain forest behind the biggest temple. Our tour guide was very willing to take us to a few other specific spots in the city that we requested and even took me into a pharmacy to get a natural sauve for exema. Very accomadating. We are sailing to Belize again in DEC and we plan to have her take us cave tubing. My brother did that last year and loved it. There are some Mayan artifacts in the caves. The tender ride to shore is 20 min. on a pretty moving fast boat from about 5 miles out. We had time to shop at the tourist village at the pier too.

Kathy in Maine

Butterfinger1954@yahoo.com

We did the Cave Tubing with Reggie last year and it was great. We had a wonderful time. You get so see a lot of the countryside on your drive into the mountains. It is also interesting when you walk through the jungle on your way to the beginning of the tubing. All in all, it was one of the highlights of all our excursions. Reggie is also very aware of the times you need to be back for your Ships Tender. I highly recommend it. Have fun !!

We were in Belize last year and found this excusion to be excellent. The boat ride was a blast. You will be walking quite a bit to & from the ruins so be prepared with comfortable shoes and PLENTY of bug spray.

Lamanai_80.jpgLamanai Exploration: The Lamanai Excursion will take you for a tour of Northern Belize, a fantastic boat ride on the New River teaming with wildlife, and on to the majestic Temples of Lamanai. This excursion is simply spectacular, the transport to the Ruins will show you what the Belizean flora and fauna is all about!

Cozumel - a few hours shopping & snorkeling at a local beach and then it's Carlos N Charlies time. :D :D :D

I recommend Chaccoben highly. It's only a half day trip, so leaves time for shopping or beach activies if you have a full day in port. Costa Maya is still relatively undeveloped, so shore excursion choices are limited (at least they were a year ago when we called there). Chaccoben is a worthwhile site with some neat pyramids, and the guides are well-informed. Remember though, that Tulum is the only major Mayan site directly on the coastline -- the others are inland. So don't expect the fantastic vista overlooking the ocean that makes Tulum so outstanding. And recalling the vegetation around Chaccoben, I'd recommend bug repellent in July! Enjoy!

I am not familiar with the itinerary as far as Length of time in the various ports, but Costa Maya, the Choccoben ruins are ok especially if combined with the Mayan cultural Museum in Ciudad chetumal which is on the way or on the way back. They aren't anything near the size and impressiveness of some others. Tulum of course is nice but not really special to me except for the by the ocean setting. Tulum is within easy reach of both Cozumel and Costa Maya.

If the stop at either Cozumel or Costa maya is a full day or longer, some very impressive ruins are within reach....Coba. This is very impressive and also has the atmosphere of a a mini Indiana Jones experience. You have to be able to walk three to five kilometers and you need some deet and suitable clothing. I know how to set that up from either Cozumel or Costa Maya and I like to write, so if anyone wants to know about it I can write more details on Coba and there is a lot of information on the web about Coba itself.

In Belize I was not aware that Lamanai ruins tours were available In the early 90s when I went there, I used my Inflatable with an outboard with a hired guide to get there and it was largely unexcavated........well things change I guess. Altun ha is not very far from the tender terminal and fairly nice ruins (that sounds strange doesnt it). The most impressive accessable Mayan ruins in Belize are Xunantunich by San Ignacio near the Guatemala border. That is usually an all day tour but usually stops at the Belize zoo which is certainly worth seeing at least once in a life time. That one has a lot of tour bus time but you get to see the entire breadth of the beautiful little country. the Xunantunich ones are roughly in the line of Chichen itza, Coba, then Lamanai, then Altun Ha, Xunantunich, Tikal and then Copan in Honduras which was about the fartherest point of Mayan expansion. The tenders from the cruise ships take about ten minutes from the ship to the tender port at Belize City...3 big yamaha 100 horse outboards. Yes english is the national language but most natives are at least trilingual, English, Spanish, Mayan, Creole, or Garifuna depending on where you are. There are really no "old growth rain forests" in Belize but the rain forests that have been regrown in the last 30 years or so are quite impressive.

Any further information needed is available from me Prime9time@aol.com I like to write so what the heck..........John/Juan NM usa

Archived