Things I learned on my first cruise.

ClassyGame

On arriving at the ship we were each provided a plastic card that we secured with our credit card. A ship is a cashless society. This magic card allowed us on and off the ship, indicated our dinner seating and our pre-paid drink and spa packages, opened our cabin door and served as a credit card for purchases throughout the cruise.

Our cabin was a pleasant surprise. It was a well-designed livable space with sliding glass doors onto the balcony. The bath was small but adequate. Bath gel and shampoo were in dispensers in the shower. A hair dryer was anchored in the desk drawer leaving the bath free for the other’s use. Outlets were available for both voltages to accommodate our electronic needs. Empty suitcases were stored under the bed. Your personal plastic cruise card activates the lights in your cabin and also activates a small light outside your door when it is removed. This small light alerts your steward that you are not in so that he can go in and tidy up while you are away.

We pre-ordered drink packages that were, for us, not a good investment. We suggest that you do better to pay as you go. We were also surprised to find that the re-embarkment inspectors looked the other way when we brought a bottle of wine on board from our shore excursions.

We pre-ordered a couple’s Spa package that my daughter and I shared; a great investment. With a little bartering we got additional Spa services on board at a discount. Don't be afraid to ask.

We did not use the ship's shore excursion trips in the six ports we visited, but arranged our own guide and/or driver in advance. This gave us personal flexibility and opportunities to mingle with the locals in each area. We also enjoyed experiencing the local cuisine. While we paid a bit more we found that this arrangement provided more bang for the buck. We felt it turned a modest cruise into a first-class experience.

Archived