Carnival Spirit Running Late...Jones Act Violation

runnerodb83

As many of you know, part of the stipulation of RT seattle based cruises is that ships must stop in a foreign port and typically Victoria is the usual choice. Currently (10:48 pst) the Spirit is enroute back to Seattle but should have been docked in Victoria from 7pm to midnight. Presently, its just entering the straight of Juan De Fuca which puts it approximately 3 hrs away at the soonest. Will this result in a violation of the law if the spirit docks momentarily in Victoria tonight/very early tomorrow, unties, and then docks in seattle again at 7am?

The ship will have limited time in victoria, it its about 80 nautical miles to Seattle and at an average speed of 15 knotts due to the narrow channels it will take just over 5 hrs.

As many of you know, part of the stipulation of RT seattle based cruises is that ships must stop in a foreign port and typically Victoria is the usual choice. Currently (10:48 pst) the Spirit is enroute back to Seattle but should have been docked in Victoria from 7pm to midnight. Presently, its just entering the straight of Juan De Fuca which puts it approximately 3 hrs away at the soonest. Will this result in a violation of the law if the spirit docks momentarily in Victoria tonight/very early tomorrow, unties, and then docks in seattle again at 7am?

The ship will have limited time in victoria, it its about 80 nautical miles to Seattle and at an average speed of 15 knotts due to the narrow channels it will take just over 5 hrs.

I don't think it the Passenger act would apply in this case as the Spirit left from Vancouver not Seattle...;)

The Jones Act would have absolutely nothing to do with this situation. What you are asking would fall under the Passenger Vessel Services Act, and the answer is "No" as previously explained by others.

does anyone know why the ship is running late. or is she on schedule. i will be on her next tuesday for the round trip from seattle and im keeping track of her pretty carefully . thanks

No it was on schedule. I forgot that it was the first alaska run of the season which is vancouver to seattle which, as others have noted, is not a violation of the Jones/PSV Act.

No it was on schedule. I forgot that it was the first alaska run of the season which is vancouver to seattle which, as others have noted, is not a violation of the Jones/PSV Act.

thanks for the reply. we board her next tuesday and i was worried something was wrong machanically. wheeewwww. that was a close one :D.

I have been trying to book a B2B onthe Spirit for 2012. First leg 3 night cruise to no where San Diego to Vancouver and 2nd leg 7 day Alaska Vancouver to Seattle.

Hours of time spent speaking with many different reps & supervisors telling me that CCL can't book this as it would be a violation of the Jones Act and a $300 per person fee would be imposed.

I do not get this as we would be stopping in Canada after leaving San Diego then starting the next sailing from Canada ending in Seattle. I imagine we would have to pack ALL our stuff from the 4 day, go thru customs then re-board for a 2nd sailing. A pain but doable. CCL says even that option is in violation????

Anyone have any better explaination?

shhhhhhh!

don't tell anyone! maybe they won't notice! :o

I have been trying to book a B2B onthe Spirit for 2012. First leg 3 night cruise to no where San Diego to Vancouver and 2nd leg 7 day Alaska Vancouver to Seattle.

Hours of time spent speaking with many different reps & supervisors telling me that CCL can't book this as it would be a violation of the Jones Act and a $300 per person fee would be imposed.

I do not get this as we would be stopping in Canada after leaving San Diego then starting the next sailing from Canada ending in Seattle. I imagine we would have to pack ALL our stuff from the 4 day, go thru customs then re-board for a 2nd sailing. A pain but doable. CCL says even that option is in violation????

Anyone have any better explaination?

Good topic. The gist is you are travelling between 2 us ports via a forweign flagged ship w/o a stop at a distant port. Doesnt matter if its a differrnt cruise

Good topic. The gist is you are travelling between 2 us ports via a forweign flagged ship w/o a stop at a distant port. Doesnt matter if its a differrnt cruise

To clarify you could take a cruise around the world that started in oakland and ended in san francisco and took 100 days but never stopped anywhere and you would still be in violation if its a foreign flagged ship. Or, if you took a foreign flag ship from oakland to san francisoco, just a 30 minute journey, that would be a violation also.

Going back to your example...you would have to change to another ship to make it possible. This spring its possilble to take the Golden princess from LA to Vancouver (departing today) and on Saturday when it arrives in vancouver, get off, walk across the pier, and get on the Sapphire Princess to Seattle. That is legal because its on a different ship.

Remember, not only do you get fined for a PSVA violation but the ship gets barred from US ports for quite a duration.

Anyone have any better explanation?

I don't have an explanation, better or otherwise. I was booked (deposits paid) for these exact cruises (they had 2 separate booking numbers and 2 separate deposits paid), and a week later was informed, "whoops, sorry, no can do" - and canceled. All my deposit money was immediately refunded as was the insurance premium I'd paid (all total just under $1000).

I have yet to decide whether or not I want to fly to pick up the 7 night or not.

Seriously disappointed though. :(

Thanks for the info runnerod. I was thinking since it was 2 sailings it would work but now understand it. Very dissappoining and should be done away with.

Tea4ular sorry for your dissappointment as well.

We really prefer doing AK in Aug but this seemed like a fun way of cutting airfare on direction.

Glad to know that now CCL got their act together, realized this fact and is informing guests BEFORE the deposits are taken.

I don't have an explanation, better or otherwise. I was booked (deposits paid) for these exact cruises (they had 2 separate booking numbers and 2 separate deposits paid), and a week later was informed, "whoops, sorry, no can do" - and canceled. All my deposit money was immediately refunded as was the insurance premium I'd paid (all total just under $1000).

I have yet to decide whether or not I want to fly to pick up the 7 night or not.

Hello fellow SD.

We are now thinking of doing the SD to Vancouver then a land trip Vancouver, Victoria and over to Seattle to round out the 10 days. Flying from Seattle is cheaper and less hassle. Just not sure yet.

I will find us another AK sailing for an Aug time frame that starts in AK so we can also do land pre cruise there.

E-me if you want to share notes/ideas r donte @ cox. net

Archived