Carnival Buck Island Sailing & Snorkel

DP21

I really would like to do a catamaran in St. Thomas and was wondering if the Carnival Buck Island Sailing and Snorkel excursion is worthwhile. I'm sure it's beautiful regardless, but I just don't want to miss out on one of the great beaches in St. Thomas/ St. John if it isn't any good. I think i read that this excursion is not the Buck Island national monument that is well known.

Any thoughts? :cool:

:rolleyes: Carnival Triumph 4.9.05

I went on the Carnival Buck Island Sailing and Snorkel excursion a few years ago and really enjoyed it. In addition to good snorkeling we say sea turtles. However, you snorkel from a boat and can not go ashore; therefore, if you want to go to a beach, this is not for you.

We went to St. Croix two years ago and sailed to Buck Island National Park (underwater park, that is). The island is completely visible from St. Croix, so I have to wonder if this excursion is the same Buck Island because it would be quite a distance from St. Thomas.

You are correct, the Buck Island Ship excursion is not the "famous" Buck Island. We were disappointed to find that out at first, but it turned out being great. We did this excursion and it was the highlight of our trip. We were put on a private sailboat and the couple that owned it was great. They took us snorkeling and we saw more than we have ever seen....it was AWESOME. Highly recommend. No beach access...just jump off the boat...the equipment we were provided was great...not 2nd rate like we have had on some excursions.

I have done this tour before, but would not do it again. You have absolutely NO access to Buck Island, and instead just jump off the boat.Instead, I am choosing to go to St Johns where I have heard the snorkling is even better.

There are two Buck Islands.

Buck Island Reef National Monument (belonging to the U.S. Park Service) is located just off the north coast of St. Croix, USVI.

Buck Island National Wildlife Refuge is about 2 miles from the south coast of St. Thomas, USVI.

--Islander

Archived