Please Help!! Grandeur time question!!

adios

I am going on the Grandeur on April 9th. We are scheduled to be in Grand Cayman on the 12th from 10:00a-5:30p (I know that we may never make it there, but hopefully!!!) We are thinking about planning a trip with Capt. Bryan. He has a tour from 1:30-4:00. Will we be in the same time zone, or we he be an hour ahead of us? Will that be cutting it to close to be back on the ship at 5:30?

If the ship is going to be in port until 5:30, all the passengers have to be back on board no later than 5:00. You need to find out how long it will take for Captain Bryan to get you back to the ship at the end of your excursion. Yoou need to keep in mind that there can be a lot of traffic downtown that could delay your return. You also need to keep in mind that Grand Cayman is a tender port. If your ship sails at 5:30 and the passengers need to be back on board by 5:00 the last tender from shore may leave at 4:45.

I am going on the Grandeur on April 9th. We are scheduled to be in Grand Cayman on the 12th from 10:00a-5:30p (I know that we may never make it there, but hopefully!!!) We are thinking about planning a trip with Capt. Bryan. He has a tour from 1:30-4:00. Will we be in the same time zone, or we he be an hour ahead of us? Will that be cutting it to close to be back on the ship at 5:30?

Grand Cayman will not be an hour ahead of you when you're there Adios. Let me explain why: The Grandeur stays on New Orleans time (CST) throughout the cruise. Since New Orleans and most of the US will be switching to Daylight Savings Time on April 3rd, ship time will be the same as Grand Cayman time because the Caymans do not observe DST. Therefore, even though the Caymans are on Eastern time, island time will be the same as yours (ship time) since you will have moved your clocks forward one hour on April 3rd and GC did not. This time concurrence only happens April through October during DST when sailing on a ship that departs from the Central US time zone. I hope my explanation wasn't too confusing. By the way, I think you're cutting it too close by booking a tour that ends at 4pm. I would strongly recommend booking an earlier tour.

So, I will get into GC at 10:00a, and I don't really need to worry about time zones.....right? We were on the Grandeur in Jan. and did not go to Cayman, but kept changing ship time every few days to be equal to the time zone we were in. We did not stay New Orleans time (CST) all week. Capt. Bryan's has a 10:30 tour. Is there anyway I can be off the ship and at his office by 10:30 or is that pretty impossible??

I'm surprised the ship changed its time to local time during your January cruise. When we were on the Grandeur last year the ship's time remained the same as its homeport of New Orleans throughout the entire cruise. I understand that each ship's captain has the discretion of keeping the ship's time the same or changing it to that of the ports of call. Since they change captains every six months or so that probably explains the different time policies followed during your cruise compared to mine. I know the itinerary says that you get into GC at 10:00 am (ours did too), but we ended up anchoring at GC around 7am and they started tendering around 8m. It was so early in fact that a lot of the shops were still closed and didn't open for another hour. Barring any unforeseen delays I think you should be able to make a 10:30am tour.

Hi. We were on the Grandeur last week and went on Capt Bryan's 1:30-4:00 trip. It was wonderful! We had no problem because Grand Cayman was on Eastern time and we were on central time which meant we actually had lots of time to spare at the end of the tour. We shopped and still got on the ship plenty early. If Grand Cayman does not observe daylight savings time, and the ship does, that could be a problem. I would email Capt Bryan directly. I corresponded with them through email and they seemed very accomodating. I believe that afternoon trip is actually geared around the Grandeur's schedule...so they might even change the times of it to make it fit with your timing.

Archived