Maui Driving Question

Carmic

I don't usually recommend newcomers to Maui driving on Kahekili Highway around the western end of Maui. Yes, there is a road. It's a one lane road for part of the road overlooking a steep cliff that ends in the ocean with no guardrail. Not recommended for those faint of heart. Some rental car contracts may have provisions prohibiting you from taking your rental car on this road.

People complain about the Road to Hana being narrow, windy, and scary. This is 10 times worse.

Spleen

Interesting enough, the car rental contract this time didn't say anything about that road or the road around Haleakala. Also didn't mention the Saddle road on the Big Island.

The road around West Maui is a challenge, but the views are fantastic. Did it two years ago, but did it in the direction where we were in the inside lane.

Don't worry Spleen..........as long as I don't mention the road to hubby we will be OK. If he had any inkling of such a road he would have to try it. I am usually the navigator and will not even mention going that way. How long do you think it would take us to backtrack from the Iao Valley to the western beaches at the very end of route 30 at Honokohau Bay?

Carol

Honokohau Bay confuses me - I always think it's on the Big Island. Regardless, from the Kapalua area, it'll take you probably around an hour or so to get to the Iao Valley area (and vice versa). This is, of course, assuming no major traffic.

Spleen

Can we drive from Wailuku on route 340 to the western side of Maui? Some maps show there is a road, but others do not show that it goes the whole way around.

Thanks,

Carol:)

You have by now read the other comments. I have a few opinions to offer, since the road passes by just outside our door.

o) While a difficult drive, once you get to Waihee, you are driving through one of the few areas here where there is a strong feel of "old Hawaii". Just the atmosphere is worth taking at least part of the highway.

o) Yes, there is an area of the road that is one-way, very narrow, but it is all paved nowdays. Just take it easy, drive slow (ignoring the locals who are driving like maniacs), and allow the driver to watch the road, while everyone else in the car gawks or helps with the one-way sections. The views are quite spectacular.

o) It is short; you could consider it to be a "min-Hana road", which takes a lot less time with a big payoff. The drive is over before you think about it, and Kapalua looms up with hotels, golf courses, etc.

o) Some recent visitors to our house took the road and enjoyed it, but they were in a Jeep. Note, again, the road is paved, unlike parts of the road that goes South from Hana.

o) There are van tours that take you on this road, so everyone can enjoy the vistas without the driver having to give 100% to the road. Also, we took van tour the made the circle to Hana and back around the South side. It was a kidney-bouncer, but it is a fascinating part of the island. Better to let the professional do it.

o) Many motorcycle riders I know here on the island like the run on the West side, but some point out that there is more danger for a rider, because rocks and debris often land on the road from the cuttings above, and you may suddenly come upon trouble for your bike. Not an issue in a car.

o) Road numbers mean NEARLY NOTHING here on Maui! When people ask us about highway 340, or 330, or such, we just shrug. Most are not marked, especially in critical intersections. Locals use the name of the highway, if at all. Some of the marked roads on the maps are imaginary.

Hope all this helps.

Thanks:) ...bobnsandi.........sure would love to drive it over to the West side. It would cut down on the time and we would be able to see more of your Island. I think you may have me convinced to try it. Thanks for taking the time to write. I know about the route numbers and the hwy names........guess it is just hard for us as we here in the states go by the route numbers. I guess when in Hawaii we should do as the Hawaiians do.;) Will try to do better in future postings.

Carol

It would cut down on the time and we would be able to see more of your Island.
Carol: Please do nut misunderstand our previous posting. Just because it is shorter in distance, it is not quicker by any stretch of the imagination. Even though we live very close to where the road narrows, we use the "normal" route (Honopiliani Hwy.) to Lahaina and Kapalua for ordinary trips. The north road will take you several hours to navigate, vs. the 45-50 minutes for the south route.

Glad you're willing to make the drive. It is worth it. Be safe and enjoy!

Just take it easy, drive slow (ignoring the locals who are driving like maniacs),QUOTE]

Yeah, what is that? You see all the bumper stickers saying "Slow down, this ain't the mainland" and then a local blows by you like you're standing still on a narrow, curvy road.

Just take it easy, drive slow (ignoring the locals who are driving like maniacs)

Yeah, what is that? You see all the bumper stickers saying "Slow down, this ain't the mainland" and then a local blows by you like you're standing still on a narrow, curvy road.

I got tired of being blown off the road during my daily commute. The bumper sticker got closely involved with a knife, and now reads:

OW OW This the mainland

Bob

I did this drive a couple weeks ago. It had only a short stretch that was really rough. But, we took our time and came through just fine. We were glad we took this drive because it is truly beautiful. I wish that we had left a little later though. We were still on California time and left at the crack of dawn, so the few places to stop were closed. I could really have used a bathroom.

Archived