Destiny - roman epic - aug 2011

Hello, I would appreciate some advice re excursions.

I'm travelling with my husband , 2 young teens and my mother who can walk but not for long distances. I also have problems with long walks.

Our stops are Villefranche, Livorno (for Florence and Pisa), Civitavecchia (for Rome) and Corsica.

Naturally we want to go ashore and we can take a travel wheelchair for my mum. Are the Thomson tours advisable or is there really too much walking for someone with mobility problems? I'm assuming they must be better than just getting off the ship and taking a cab to the city centres?

Would it be worth booking the excursions before travelling or whilst on ship?

Thank you in advance.

Hi and welcome to Cruise Critic.

Thomson's do excursions both in Rome, Pisa and Villefranche for the less mobile.

If you go here and click on the relevant ports you will see a list of the excursions for each one.

http://www.thomson.co.uk/cruise/ports-of-call/western-mediterranean.html

In Pisa they do Easy Pisa, Rome :- Rome easy on the Legs and Villefranche Scenic French Riviera.

Villefranche though is a lovely port to spend an easy day in without an excursion.

At present you can only book excursions once you board. If the Shore Excursions desk is closed they have forms for you to complete and a drop in box and they will deliver the tickets to your cabin.

I hope this is of help.

Berwyn

I've looked at the excursions. The 10hr one seems a long day and the Easy on the Legs one doesn't get off the coach, so neither sounds very appealing.

Is it a feasible option to just get a taxi to the Colesseum and wander around from there?

I've looked at the excursions. The 10hr one seems a long day and the Easy on the Legs one doesn't get off the coach, so neither sounds very appealing.

Is it a feasible option to just get a taxi to the Colesseum and wander around from there?

The problem is the distance from the port to Rome. It takes a good 1 and a half hours to get there.

There is a Rome On Your Own one where they drop you by the Vatican and let you loose, but again it is 10 hours if that is too long for you.

Berwyn

Hi again Berwyn - I've been shopping around here and quite a few people have said just get the train from near the port and it will take us to Rome for 9 Euros each.............

If we do that we can then get to the Coluseum, have lunch, have a stroll and get back. Anything else we see will be a bonus.

This is sounding like a plan to me now - unless someone else comes in saying this would be a disaster...............

Hi again Berwyn - I've been shopping around here and quite a few people have said just get the train from near the port and it will take us to Rome for 9 Euros each.............

If we do that we can then get to the Coluseum, have lunch, have a stroll and get back. Anything else we see will be a bonus.

This is sounding like a plan to me now - unless someone else comes in saying this would be a disaster...............

Hi,

I didn't suggest that not having done it and knowing that some of you had mobility problems I wasn't sure how difficult it would be for you to negotiate the train.

WE did the Colliseum and Ancient Rome one last year as we wanted to go inside it. There is a lift inside that takes you right up to the top of the tiers of seats so you can look down on the arena.

So if you did it DIY you might be able to get in.

After that we went to the Forum, then on to Trevi Fountain, Spanish steps.

It was all walking though and apart from lunch we were on our feet all day.

Just check your return train times though so you are back aboard well in time for sailaway.

Berwyn

This should be fine you could even get a metro from Terminni station it would only be a couple of stops I think. Or you could walk to the Coluseum I thinks it's the Via Cavore, it's a straight road and you pass a church Maria Maggiore which has a stunning statue or altar (can't remember which), you would come to the Coluseum from the back but it is sign posted then you could get a taxi back.

Archived