Alaska Cruise Photography Kit

This is what I have assembled this far - thanks to all who previously responded to other questions many moons ago! I decided to err on the side of having too much rather than too little I think! In any event, I’d welcome your feedback and opinion.

Kata R103 backpack

Canon 40D (without grip) w L plate

Tokina 11 – 16 f2.8

Canon 24 – 105L f4

Canon 100 – 400L f4.5 – 5.6

Canon 580 exII flash

Spare battery, charger and lots of memory

Gitzo 1541t tripod (rather take it than not – we will have an aft balcony where I thought it may be of use – as well to take on our hike at Dewey lake and perhaps elsewhere - waterfall pictures come to mind!)

Gitzo 2541 monopod

Markins Q3t head with RRS clamp to use with monopod and tripod

ND filter

Circular polarizing filter

Vortex storm jacket

and ... never leave home without it ... Canon powershot D10.

We now have a little under two months before we leave - so the planning is repidly becoming excitement!

Thank you all once again - what I have learned here is invaluable.

Ollie.

Looks great and should provide some fantastic pictures for you. The only other option I would seriously think about, is a battery grip. It holds two batteries and comes with a AA insert (that holds six AA's). It does add a little weight to the 40D but in my opinion, makes it a bit more stable, especially hand holding a longer lens. I have them on my xTi and 40D and since putting them on, will never go back to a camera without one.

If your long lens have IS, you probably will not need the tripod, just use the monopod. Much easier to carry trekking around.

Cheers,

You've got a great selection of lenses for the trip. You should be prepared for everything.

After your cruise I will be interested to hear how you liked using the tripod, especially on an aft balcony. I am curious how much vibration there will be and how well the carbon dampens it.

Just got back from the western side of Mexico on the Star, we had an aft-balcony cabin. I'll go out on a limb here and say that although I wasn't shooting in low light conditions vibration did not appear all that bad. Having said that one must realize that during my photos we were not manuevering / docking where the vibration would be intense.

Thanks for the comments! I was pondering a battery grip - but had to draw a line in the sand somewhere! I think I would have problems fitting the camera with battery grip mounted into the backpack though - I'll have to measure to be sure.

As far as vibration goes - I am eager to find out also.

Again, thank you for the responses,

Ollie.

Well - whaddyaknow? I happened to visit the classified section on the Canon forum POTN - and picked up a used battery grip with canon battery - must be fate!

Thanks for the recommendation (it will fit in the Kata bag after all!)

Ollie:):)-

Archived