Experts, I need you!!!! Staying in SOU instead of London

Since we will only be in SOU one night, what is the best way to secure a few pounds to pay for taxis - one from airport to hotel ~ one from hotel to port. I don't suppose they would take Euros?

Hi 'gain Murphey,

Well, since your first potential cash expense is likely to be the airport taxi, as Globaliser suggests use your cc or dc in the hole-in-the-wall in the terminal.

But first mebbe step out to the taxis (tiny terminal, taxi rank right at the terminal door) to check the fare to the Dolphin, and ask if they accept euros or credit cards (some taxis have credit card facilities, though probably only Visa or Mastercard). Then do some quick mental arithmetic to also allow for the taxi to the ship (allow £10 to be on the safe side)

Pot-luck whether a city taxi accepts cc, but probably won't accept euros or USD.

For the small amount you're talking about, if you need a little more the hotel may be able to help you out.

For any last-minute shopping, some major shops in Southampton accept euros including Marks & Spencer in the West Quay Mall, a five minute walk away. They also have an in-store currency exchange bureau (always a good exchange rate) if you've still got left-over euros.

JB :)

Left over euros won't be a problem, we'll have several countries to donate to on our crossing :D. Thanks for the info about being able to check for the fare to the Dolphin...... I also found out that the Dolphin now has a "resort" fee of 3 GBP per night, so extra cash can go for that or perhaps a return trip!

I got the air all sorted out to SOU from DUB on Flybe...even with all the fees and baggage fees, it wasn't too bad considering the convenience of getting directly to SOU....now if we can have some sort of decent weather (yep, I ask a lot of thee) in Ireland, all will be well!!

Thanks a million you guys!!!!

Archived