Help with Scuba Diving in Belize

cruzbound

Hi there,

One of our stops on our cruise is Belize, I know they have the most fantastic reef there as we have snorkeled there before. We are now certified PADI divers and would like to dive while we are there.

Can anyone provide us with some reputable dive shops? And/or some specific places we want to dive at? I don't think we will have time to get to the Blue Hole as we are in port from 8 am to 5 pm unless someone has done this before and can advise us.

Thanks for any help you can give us.

cruzbound

I've been researching this for some time, and what I've learned is that it's best to do the ship excursion there for the diving (which I never do) because of the time constraints. I've also confirmed that it's not possible to do Blue Hole. I'll be going there in August and if there is a ship excursion, I'll use it. Otherwise I'll be going with Hugh Parkey, who normally is the ship's dive operator.

His website is http://www.belizediving.com Usually his company provides the dives for the cruise ships but there aren't any listed for my cruise this August, which is good. That leaves me free to book with him independently and lessen the chance for a cattle boat experience. I dive with my instructor and we prefer to go off on our own and we do more advanced dives. You usually can't do that on a ship's dive excursion.

I'll post when we get back on how it went. I'm going back to Belize on a B2B at the end of the year, so I'll have plenty of chances to check out the diving there! :)

Thanks for the contact information Laurie S.

I will be watching for you post when you get back.

What cruiseline are you going with? I wonder if he is providing the dives for ours in

2012. I will have to look into that.

Still haven't heard back from them, so I contacted http://www.seasportsbelize.com yesterday. I heard back this morning, liked what I saw, and we'll be diving with them. They take both divers and snorkelers on the same boat and can offer my instructor and me an advance dive, while at the same time giving my beginner diver friend a good dive for him.

Does anyone know the difference in this company and coral breeze like in the type of equipment and boats specifically, and the dive's?

Also did I read that they leave the snorklers with a DM with no boat around? Trying to put an excurision together for June.

I would suggest contacting the company directly. They told me that divers and snorkelers can go on the same boat and that my dive instructor and I can do advanced dives, while my other friend, a beginner, can do an easier dive.

The challenge with scuba in Belize is that there is little around Belize City. They advantage of booking Hugh Parkey through the ship is that they will pick you up and drop you off directly from the ship, so you can get to some decent dive sites. Its the one place I really recommend using the dive op from the ship.

There is no scuba excursion listed for Belize on my August Legend cruise, which I find rather surprising. So I e-mailed Parkey about it more than a week ago with no response. I got tired of waiting and contacted Sea Sports (after reviewing their website) and they responded the next day. They also have a boat that takes you away from Belize City and brings you back to the ship. They'll even take you to their shop first and rinse your gear and then bring you back. They restrict their numbers to eight divers, so no cattle boat experience, either.

:)

I contacted Carnival shore excursions and they said "yes" no more diving in Belize and he didn't know why.

The only thing about dive shops in Belize city is that they dive Belize area - not Turneffe Atolls which is where the "beautiful" diving is.

I'm not sure what my husband and I are going to do in November either, since we can't dive with Hugh.

Unless Carnival gets a new contract with them, we may do a land tour instead.

Why can't you still dive with Parkey? He's only restricted to cruise ship passengers when the cruise ship offers an excursion. No excursion, no restriction. I didn't like the lack of response from him and found what I believe to be a much better alternative. I'm going back to Belize twice on a B2B at the end of the year and may try another company that flies you to Turneffe. I just wish there were enough time to do the Blue Hole.

I looked him up on the internet and it appears he has a large operation off of San Pedro for the beautiful diving that is too far away to get too. He is probably not diving with cruise passengers anymore. His operation looks really nice, and he offers great prices on lodging and diving combos. Id like to go back to belize and see it.

It does suck that you cant get to the great dive spots and your in Belize! But for June we are going to have to go to plan b which may just be a snorkel and beach trip, Im not to upset- we will be in Belize!

Archived