Dance Club Ages and other recommendations for a first timer with an 8-year-old?

AnnaNUJanae

This is our first time on a carnival cruise and we will be on the Carnival Valor this Thanksgiving Week. My daughter was really excited about the idea of a dance club and spent my whole Princeton reunion and multiple weddings on the dance floor and loves to dance (She's in a pre-professional dance company). I was just wondering if the dance club is family friendly during the daytime, or if it is an adult area. We are going on a mother-daughter cruise, so we will be doing things together, rather than putting her in the youth camp. Does anyone have any recommendations for things we shouldn't miss on the ship (Valor) or at the ports (Belize, Honduras, Cayman Islands, & Cozumel)? She's really excited about the zip line, paragliding, and snorkling in particular and is very mature and tall for her age and really adventurous and athletic (We regularly do 6-10 mile hikes and kayak long distances, among other things), so I think she would really prefer challenging activities, rather than more idle activities targeted toward younger kids.

Any advice you might have would be most helpful!

Thanks!

Also, how are the shows? My daughter is addicted to Broadway shows, off-Broadway shows, and high school musicals (everything from Wicked to the Lion King to Rent to high school productions of Chicago, Grease, Aida, Once Upon an Island, etc.). Are they long productions or shorter shows?

The first night they will have a family dance in the disco- the rest of the week---the disco place is hopping with the kids club for teens- shuts down and opens for adults over 18.

No family time for you with her there except that first night.

The description of the ship says there is a private club for Club OC and the picture was different from the One Small Step Club. I could be mistaken though. We will be sure to make it to the dance club on the first night if you're right, though. :) Thanks for the advice.

There is dancing at the late night deck party. There are also dance classes sometimes during the day. As another poster stated, the first night there is a welcome aboard party for families at the disco. It is for Camp Carnival. You can win prizes. We got a ship on a stick for the twist contest. I'm sure you can go that night, then never have her go to camp afterwards. She might enjoy a little time at camp though, because there is dancing at camp. There are no kids allowed in the disco after the fist night.

• 2 months later...

We were just on the valor a few weeks ago with a very active 6 year old.(She's climbed Dunns River Falls in Jamaica, Hiked to the waterfalls in El Yunque Rainforest in Puerto Rico, climbed to the top of a Mayan Temple in Belize, etc). So, I would say, your daughter sounds like she would enjoy the same type of things my daughter does. You picked a great itinerary - we've done this itinerary the last 4 cruises.

Grand Cayman - swim with the rays and snorkel

Cozumel-Paradise Beach(lots of activities from kayaking to climb and jump floating trampolines, etc.) OR Punta Sur-gorgeous beach a little further from port(corocodile lagoon, climb to the top of a lighthouse, very nice reef not far from shore) OR Chankanaab(very good snorkeling and of course the swimming with the dolphins excursion).

Belize-Lamanai Ruins(somewhat of a challenge to get to - but worth every minute) car or bus, then boat to the ruins - climb to the top! OR cavetubing with cavetubing.bz(NOT .com). Very nice hike through the rainforest(you must try a termite) then float through very long caves.

Honduras-private driver with ronystours.com He will have a driver stay with you all day to do as you like(very reasonably priced). Play with the monkeys, zip line(I recommend South Shore Canopy), snorkel the West End or visit a fabulous beach to finish the day. I'm not sure if you are into charity or local children, but we always take small gifts for children in a neighborhood their. My daughter really looks forward to it.

Archived