Winery Tour from Astoria

Has anyone actually rented a car in Astoria and driven to a couple of wineries in Willamette? In port from 8 - 5 on a Friday next May. Is it possible to visit 2 wineries and get back to Astoria on time? Would love some feedback. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're looking for wineries in the Willamette Valley, it would be quite a drive. I'm not a wine drinker, but do live in the Portland area, and drive to Astoria quite regularly. From Astoria to Forest Grove, Mapquest estimates 1.75 hours, which is pretty accurate. The highways in the area are 2-lane routes with occasional passing zones. Depending on what day you travel, you run the risk of being lined up behind RVs or other slower-moving vehicles.

This map does show wineries nearest specific cities.

http://www.oregonwines.com/winerysearch.php?browsetype=location

This page shows wineries nearest Forest Grove, which seems to be the largest grouping of wineries to Astoria. The actual Willamette Valley is a little farther south, and is not a direct drive from Astoria. To get from Astoria to McMinnville, which is actually the gateway to the Willamette Valley, it's closer to 2 1/2 hours.

http://www.oregonwines.com/winerysearch.php?action=Search&browsetype=majorcity&majorcity=Forest%20Grove&searchlabel=Forest%20Grove

but with tongue in cheek. We'll be renting a car in Astoria in October & plan on "wining" also - however, we'll be going to the Astoria Costco to do ours. Another plus in case you're planning on purchasing wine for your cruise - OR doesn't have a sales tax - bonus!

Can you please tell me who you are renting your car with. I tried Avis and Budget and there are no rental companies in Astoria. Enterprise is there but closed on a Sunday when we arrive. Thanks

Can you please tell me who you are renting your car with. I tried Avis and Budget and there are no rental companies in Astoria. Enterprise is there but closed on a Sunday when we arrive. Thanks

We plan on going to the same winery as HAL excursion, but on our own. See the attached link for public transportation.

http://www.portofastoria.com/cruise_activities.html

Archived