ES and weather question

Jfultz81

We're booked on the Triumph out of NOLA with friends. We did the Early Saver rate and we also bought travel insurance (not thru Carnival). We encouraged, begged, and pleaded with our friends to do the same (it was only $50!), but they said they didn't need it.. anyway, today my friend asked if there's a hurricane will they get their money back. I'm stumped. I would assume that if it happened before we left, that we would get a refund (saying it was bad and no one could cruise out of NOLA)..and I know if it it came while we're out at sea we can be diverted. Am I wrong in thinking this? What should I tell her (other than you should have gotten insurance!)?

The only time Iv known them to cancel a cruise is because the cruise BEFORE them couldnt get back .. like I did on Conquest when Ike hit Galveston and we were taken to New Orleans, so the next cruise was cancelled.

It would be rare that a cruise was totally cancelled, might be delayed a day if the cruise before couldnt get into port .. but not cancelled. I did a cruise to nowhere on Ecstasy over last July 4th last summer, 3 days so it didnt have time to get to any ports.

Last Sept I was on Conquest and because of named tropical storms we missed both Jamaica and Caymans .. Id vote this the most likely .. that you would miss ports, but the cruise would happen as expected.

PS if it is totally cancelled (highly unlikely) then they would get a refund.

Thats what I was thinking, however you never know. We were booked on the Holiday when Katrina hit, so it was totally canceled, the replacement cruise missed Cancun because of Wilma, do we've had both issues arise. I also didn't know because of all the ES rules.

We're booked on the Triumph out of NOLA with friends. We did the Early Saver rate and we also bought travel insurance (not thru Carnival). We encouraged, begged, and pleaded with our friends to do the same (it was only $50!), but they said they didn't need it.. anyway, today my friend asked if there's a hurricane will they get their money back. I'm stumped. I would assume that if it happened before we left, that we would get a refund (saying it was bad and no one could cruise out of NOLA)..and I know if it it came while we're out at sea we can be diverted. Am I wrong in thinking this? What should I tell her (other than you should have gotten insurance!)?

If Carnival canceled the cruise, yes, they would be given an opportunity to reschedule or get a refund. However, if there was a storm and the ship had to alter the itinerary that's just the way it goes.

No cruise line has any control over the weather and they all have their passenger's safety as the primary concern. Also, each and every cruise line has a clause in their contract stating that none of the ports are guaranteed and that they are not responsible for any ports that are missed for virtually any reason...

:)

Most insurance policies dont cover weather related issues. Carnival's now does but it didnt used to. You might read the policy you bought and make sure it covers weather.

If you are cruising during hurricane season, enjoy the low prices and if you miss a port or two dont sweat it. We had one port on our 7 day .. it happens. There isnt time to find a alternative port, especially out of the gulf ports.

Archived