Rostock Zoo?

Since we've ruled out going to Berlin on our cruise starting next week and decided to go on our own to Rostock on the train and tram, was wondering if anyone who has been to the Rostock zoo can give any info on it. I found their website and was wondering if it's worthwhile seeing? If we get the Rostock Welcome Card is the zoo one of the attractions you get a discount at? I can't seem to find that specific info anywhere. Thanks!

Since we've ruled out going to Berlin on our cruise starting next week and decided to go on our own to Rostock on the train and tram, was wondering if anyone who has been to the Rostock zoo can give any info on it. I found their website and was wondering if it's worthwhile seeing? If we get the Rostock Welcome Card is the zoo one of the attractions you get a discount at? I can't seem to find that specific info anywhere. Thanks!

Hi,

The Zoo in Rostock is in a beautiful woodland setting and the animals are very well cared-for but in parts it is not world-standard by any means. Nearly every town in the former East had a Zoo, most of them with old fashioned housing etc., and the ones that have survived (with the exception of the main cities like Leipzig and Berlin) are desperately short of money to bring them up to modern standards.

However it is only a 15 min tram ride from the city centre and you can ride all the way from Warnemunde to the Zoo on the one 1.70 euro ticket but the Rostock Card does not give a discount for entry to the Zoo.

In fact, a word of caution about the card. The main attractions of Rostock and Warnemunde are the architechture and the outside sights, most of those attractions offered as 'free entry with the card' are free entry anyway (eg. the Cultural Museum) and the discounts are small. Unless you want to visit every 'offer' on the card a better option is a 4.50 euro Tageskarte, daily ticket, on local transport which gives unlimited travel for the whole day on trains, trams, buses and ferries (please note this does not include the Tour Boat between Warnemunde and Rostock) or, if you only intend to visit Rostock city, tickets at 1.70 euro each which cover the whole train+tram ride from Warnemunde to the city centre.

I hope this does not sound too negative but, although I love the Zoo and visit frequently (I have a season ticket), I would think that there are more important things to see when you only have one day as it covers a huge area and needs time to get round.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

Thanks, Anni, for your quick response. We fly to Copenhagen next Tuesday and will be in Rostock on Friday. I guess we'll play it by ear and see how the time goes. I do love visiting zoos so I would like to get out there if possible. I can see we'll take a pass on buying the Welcome Rostock Card and opt instead for the Tageskarte ticket. This is just the info I was looking for!

Archived