One bag travel/packing light on the cheap

HI! You didn't say whether you are a guy or a gal...makes a difference. To pack light, I take soft, light weight sandals and just wear them for most everything. Maybe add a pair of flip flops or other waterproof shoes. Keep your colors coordinated and interchangeable. You really can wear something more than once! Plan to dress for the weather, as well as climate control aboard ship. Pack "thin" clothes that don't take up space or wrinkle. Bargains? Well...I've been known to frequent Good Will, a lot. What do you like to do? I swim and snorkel,so I take more than one bathing suit. If you're a gal, take minimal, but reusable, accessories, e.g., one pair of gold earrings and one of silver. A little scarf can completely change your look. Pack washable clothes that double in function, e.g., nylon pants for the gym, but that also look great with a glitter top for eves. Watch the luggage itself! Be sure its light weight and most importantly, has wheels! I travel with one small carry-on and a soft backpack, and never check luggage. Go easy on things like books, makeup, curling irons, etc. , they really add weight and take up space. If you can, consider purchasing an ipod, tablet or kindle reader. I have to take a book, my camera, and some very limited art supplies.(Sigh). You'd be surprised at how much you can do without and not miss! Oh...and take a credit card! :rolleyes:

Packing in one suitcase is very do-able, but I would advise having at least a small personal bag. Believe me, I learned my lesson when a cruise line lost my luggage on a midwinter trip out of NYC for the Caribbean. There I was in a HEAVY winter wool suit and turtle neck sweater and the cruiseline offered to wash it everyday for the duration of the cruise! :eek:

Fortunately, my husband found my luggage the next day (one deck up from our cabin).

However, from that day forward I have always carried in my small personal bag (usually a small backpack) at least two extra pair of underpants, two tops (one formal and other must double as beach wrap), one bathing suit, one pair nylon shorts and a pair of very fancy jersey slacks, lace flats to wear w/ aforementioned slacks for formal wear if need be, my camera, toiletries, makeup and jewelry, a small black purse and paperwork. With these items and what I wear to board, I can at least get by relatively comfortably for quite a while provided I do a bit of handwash everyother day. Oh and lately I toss in a netbook.

Of course since I started doing this, my luggage has never strayed! :D

Archived