Mendenhall Blue Shuttle Bus Question

doublemm16

We are leaving in 2 weeks for our Alaska vacation. We have a whale watching excursion booked with Harv and Marv with a drop off at Mendenhall Glacier. We would like to take the shuttle back to the ship. Do you need to pre-reserve this? I understand the price is for round trip, but can you just pick the bus up at the Visitor Center for the ride back?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

We are leaving in 2 weeks for our Alaska vacation. We have a whale watching excursion booked with Harv and Marv with a drop off at Mendenhall Glacier. We would like to take the shuttle back to the ship. Do you need to pre-reserve this? I understand the price is for round trip, but can you just pick the bus up at the Visitor Center for the ride back?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Yes, you may board the Blue bus/Glacier Express at Mendenhall and take it back to town. You just walk over to the shuttle bus lot when you are ready to leave and either pay the driver there when you board the bus or show the ticket you used to get there. I saw some people buy a ticket to return last year. Leave a little leeway for the return trip timewise just in case there is a rush to get back to the ship on time and a bus fills up. They run fairly regularly. It was hubby's favorite glacier of the whole trip.

It is my understanding that the last bus back to the ship is around 6:30 pm? We do not get into Juneau until 2:30, and want to spend a lot of time at Mendenhall. There are several ships in port when we are there, July 4. It may be crowded, and possibly a taxi would be best to reserve?

We were just at Mendenhall a couple of days ago (just got off the ship today), and we took the blue bus there and back. When you get off the ship you can buy a single ticket one way ticket to/from Mendenhall for $8, and because its not time stamped, you can use it whenever you want.

Mendenhall was fabulous btw! The weather there was clear blue sky and the glacier water was a fabulous blue. Luckily for us my Dd was wearing her rubber boots and was able to wade out into the lake to snag us a large piece of ice. Its a great photo opportunity as the ice is absolutely clear as crystal, and is definately different (more solid) than "regular" freezer ice cubes! I even ate a piece!

You may want to rent a car. We used Rent A Wreck and it allowed us to stay after the last shuttle out. It was so nice to be there virtually alone.

Jen in SoCal

It is my understanding that the last bus back to the ship is around 6:30 pm? We do not get into Juneau until 2:30, and want to spend a lot of time at Mendenhall. There are several ships in port when we are there, July 4. It may be crowded, and possibly a taxi would be best to reserve?

We're planning on taking this shuttle bus both ways. When we get off the ship, I'm assuming we look for a booth for them. Is it cash basis only, or can we use a credit card?

Thanks!

They do take credit cards.

We're planning on taking this shuttle bus both ways. When we get off the ship, I'm assuming we look for a booth for them. Is it cash basis only, or can we use a credit card?

Thanks!

Can someone please confirm two things:

Where do you catch the Blue bus to Mendenhall in relation to the cruise pier? And how early in the morning does the bus start running? We have another excursion at 3:00, but would like to see the glacier in the morning.

Thanks! Kellie

Can someone please confirm two things:

Where do you catch the Blue bus to Mendenhall in relation to the cruise pier? And how early in the morning does the bus start running? We have another excursion at 3:00, but would like to see the glacier in the morning.

Thanks! Kellie

Thank you!

Kellie: I believe this is the Juneau stop and we don't get into port until noon, so you'd need to consider whether you'd have enough time to get there and back for your excursion.

Archived