Salerno/Amalfi Coast questions

DevilsFan38

I'm looking for some help/suggestions here. I'm sailing on the Brilliance of the Seas soon and I recently found out we are docking in Salerno (not Naples, as I thought). We'll be there Friday June 10th from 7am-7pm.

My first questions, about Salerno itself: is there much to see there? Worth spending a full day, half day, maybe just an hour or so at the end of the day?

If we decide to spend some/all of the day elsewhere, what would you suggest regarding Positano/Amalfi/Ravello? Some combination of ferries and buses (ferry there, bus back?). What part of the drive is more picturesque - Positano to Amalfi or Amalfi to Salerno? Any idea how long that drive is, or how much it might cost for a private taxi? I've spent a day in Positano and done the drive from Sorrento to Positano (gorgeous!), the friend I'm going with has never been to that part of Italy.

Any help at all would be appreciated, I've skimmed through the boards but since Salerno is a fairly new cruise port I haven't found a ton of info.

Thanks!

We were there last year. Celebrity switched us there from Naples at the last minute and we are glad they did. The ship docks in the main harbour area and they ran a free shuttle along the promenade to the far end of town. There is a small marina as you look on google maps to the right hand side of Salerno. We caught the boat here that look us along the Amalfi coast to Amalfi itself and had the day there. It was really great. I think it only cost about 8 euros return and the boat trip took about a half hour.

There are nice shops and lots to see there and lots of nice restaurants and cafe's. We found a very nice place , but out of the way, as you stand in Amalfi and look out to sea, the road on goes around the headland on your left. Walk around there and on the other side was a place that did fantastic seafood and very nice wine and it was inexpensive.

There is a beach too with good swimming if you wanted to take your costumes.

We were also there last year with Celebrity and we hired a car and drove from Salerno to Amalfi. A lovely drive...but parking is at a premium in Amalfi, still managed to find a place in the main car park.

It was nice as we could stop anywhere we wanted - and did in several of the little villages along the way that aren't quite so spoilt by tourism and also had time to get up to Ravello. hired the car on line before we went and it was easy to find the rental office. Would definitely do that again.

If you want any more info please ask.

Susan

Thanks for the responses so far! Did either of you spend any time in Salerno itself, and if so, what did you think of it?

We definitely aren't up for driving ourselves (too chicken to drive on those roads!), so we'll go with either ferry or bus.

Anyone else with other thoughts?

• 5 weeks later...

Here are two other posts with good info. From what I have read it sounds like visiting Almafi by ferry and then taking a bus to visit Ravello would be nicer then spending the day in Salerno. The ferry ride sounds quite nice and you may be able to fit in Positano as well.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1283164&highlight=salerno

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1422805&highlight=salerno

Archived