Motor bikes in Cozumel

BamaBoy

You should be able to rent them right in town, probably right near the pier. Scooters are a very popular mode of transportation in Cozumel and I don't think you'll have a problem finding a place that will rent you one. I would even try a Google search using cozumel scooter rental as the search term to seek out rental agencies.

Oh please do not rent a scooter here! Yes, you can rent them all over the place here. Yes, they look fun. Yes, you see lots of people doing it. But I am tired of sugar coating warnings about why not to rent scooters here...maybe I should just scan the local daily papers that shows the graphic pictures of accident scenes (yes, they publish photos of dead people in the paper here, not of the victims from far away and covered up but close ups). I can seriously say that not a day or two goes by that I don't see an accident involving a tourist on a scooter (one day I saw 4 accidents in less than an hour). I've seen accidents where arms and legs are going directions that they shouldn't, tourists laying in the street covered in blood, tourists being taken to jail for scooter accidents like hitting people crossing the street. I also knew someone's girlfriend who was basically decapitated about 3 years ago on a scooter here. Even if you are an experienced moto rider, it's not the same here. Our roads are terrible with potholes, speedbumps, one way streets, crazy speeding taxi drivers, stop signs that are just suggestions, missing stop signs, gravel, and whoa...if it rains, watch out! I'll step off my soapbox now. Renting a scooter here just isn't worth the risk.

Passed by an accident scene about 5 hrs ago right downtown, 10th ave and 5th street. Tourist in a jeep ran a stop sign and plowed into a local guy (looked like in his 50´s but hard to tell with all the blood and bandages) on his old green motorcycle. Rent 4 wheels, not 2. A scooter is fun for about 5 minutes, then you´ll be wishing you had more metal around you when ya get a taste of local driving habits!

Passed by an accident scene about 5 hrs ago right downtown, 10th ave and 5th street. Tourist in a jeep ran a stop sign and plowed into a local guy (looked like in his 50´s but hard to tell with all the blood and bandages) on his old green motorcycle. Rent 4 wheels, not 2. A scooter is fun for about 5 minutes, then you´ll be wishing you had more metal around you when ya get a taste of local driving habits!

I concur completely in the case of scooters. Licensed bike riders with a more powerful unit and experience don't seem to have the same statistical loss here but there again, metal if a good argument in any case.

• 9 years later...

There was a couple on a cruise with us that rented scooters in Cozumel and got into a bad accident. They were taken to the hospital with some really bad injuries but to boot they were not allowed back onto the ship until their medical bills were paid in full. They were a total wreck and did me in for ever wanting to rent a scooter there.