Taking a 3yr old, any suggestions on "must brings" or "must do's"?

catlynk

Advice is going to rely heavily on where you are going, how you are getting to the port (air, car, public transportation etc) and a few details about your child (e.g. are they in daycare? Potty trained?)

Our last cruise included a 3yo so I have a few thoughts, but don't want to ramble if it's not going to apply to you ;)

I brought straw cups at that age so we wouldn't have to use the large glass goblets in the dining room. Also reusable water bottles that we filled to take ashore and packaged snacks (goldfish, cereal bars) for port.

Best,

Mia

Thanks for your reply,

He will be 3 1/2 at time of cruise, is potty trained and goes to daycare. We will be on Carnival's Ecstasy.

We plan on using camp carnival, and we are going to Progreso, and Cozumel, and plan on just going to the beach. So I guess I'm looking for the on board advice, something you brought with you that turned out to be genius or something you wished you brought. And like I said other sage advice.

Thanks

Make sure he/she knows not to climb up on anything especially balcony/deck railings. I made it clear to my son that if he or "puppy" ( favorite stuffed animal that came everywhere with us) fell overboard there was nothing mommy could do and he would be gone forever. Horrible thought but my biggest fear.

As kerry said, brought some packaged snacks for the beach. Also grabbed boxed cereal and fruit from breakfast buffet for beach snacks. Also borrowed some plastic cups and spoons from breakfast buffet to use at beach to help make castles.

We just came off a 7 night Alaskan cruise with my 3yo and 6yo. The wisest thing I brought with us was a light umbrella stroller. Ours was a Babies R US special for $5 on sale, and it was fantastic.

When we were waiting to embark, my 3yo had a place to be so that she wasn't bothering anyone else in the line ups, and didn't get tired from standing. It was also great to be able to hang a light bag off the handles so I could manage the 6yo with my other free hand.

When we went ashore, it was a great place for the 3yo to have a nap while we explored the towns. Both kids had later than usual nights while on board so a mid-afternoon nap was quite needed.

We didn't pack any plastic bottles for drinking at dinner as we just asked that the kids' water glasses just be filled 1/2 way, and they could manage on their own.

Also bring

• crayons
  • books
  • if you have one, a portable dvd player
  • any portable small toy - Leapster, teddy bear, etc.

Even though you said the child will be in the kids club, there will still be a lot of time when they are going to be in the room when you're trying to get ready for the day out. Anything you can bring to keep them busy will be huge

We just got off a cruise with our 3.5 yr DD and I was struck by how much stuff I DID NOT need to bring compared to when she was 2.5, 1.5 and 6 months. I would recommend bringing the things that will help keep the routine as normal as possible. For us that means her regular bed time books, blankie, potty seat and a couple of bath toys. We did not bring any cups/spoons/dishs for her from home this time. DCL had kids cups at dinner and she is using regular utensils etc. We brought a stroller but didn't use it at all. Our excursions were all to the beach and didn't require a lot of walking. We brought sand/beach toys from home and they were a big hit. Lots of other kids wanted to share them. We brought her portable DVD player but didn't end up using it this time. She was able to get thorugh dinner with crayons and paper. But it was nice to know it was there incase we needed it. You might want to bring floaties/life jacket if your child uses those in the pool. Sunscreen/hats and cover ups are a must in the strong sun.

One other tip. My DD is in school and does fine there but she did not want to stay at the kids club alone. Luckily on DCL we could attend with her so she did some fun activities there. I would prepare yourself for the possibility that your child may not want to go to the kids club. In that case, try to find fun family acitivites to do together on the ship.

Have a great time!

The one thing I find indispensable for traveling with our now 4yr old is an iPod touch or similar device for playing videos and music. Works great for the plane or at dinner or for anytime when you need something quick to keep them occupied. DVD player or Leapster would work for this as well, but are more bulky to carry around with you.

Ditto the advice to be prepared for the child to not want to use the kids club. On our last cruise it went fine on the first day and then our daughter never wanted to go back afterwards. She wanted to spend time with us instead - go figure ;)

Three year olds need much less "stuff" than younger kids while travelling. I did find that talking to DS2 about what was going to be different helped immensely, since he understood why some of his favourite things were being left at home.

Definitely bring things you need to keep the key routines consistent, for us that's anything to do with nap/bedtime. That being said we left his favourite stuffed toy frog at home (we had two airplanes rides, 2 hotels before cruising, the cruise, then two more airplanes and a 3 hr drive home involved in our last cruise) for fear of losing froggie, he did understand what was being asked of him and we brought along a good second choice. A few versitile toys (we love automoblocks for travelling) are helpful too if you need him to occupy himself for a few minutes.

We didn't bring beach/sand toys even though others swear by them, we did fine playing in the water and making things with our hands and shells we found on the beach. No bath toys for us either, because the bathroom only had a shower.

If you're travelling by car at any time in your trip, I am one of those people who strongly suggest you bring a car seat, and that you know how to install it with a locking clip (unless it's a Britax, then it's a moot point).

ITA that you may get on board and find your son doesn't want anything to do with the kids program. DS2 did just that on our last cruise, even though he's been in day care for 2 yrs and his older brother was in the same group and begging to go!

We just got off a cruise with our 3.5 yr DD and I was struck by how much stuff I DID NOT need to bring compared to when she was 2.5, 1.5 and 6 months. I would recommend bringing the things that will help keep the routine as normal as possible. For us that means her regular bed time books, blankie, potty seat and a couple of bath toys. We did not bring any cups/spoons/dishs for her from home this time. DCL had kids cups at dinner and she is using regular utensils etc. We brought a stroller but didn't use it at all. Our excursions were all to the beach and didn't require a lot of walking. We brought sand/beach toys from home and they were a big hit. Lots of other kids wanted to share them. We brought her portable DVD player but didn't end up using it this time. She was able to get thorugh dinner with crayons and paper. But it was nice to know it was there incase we needed it. You might want to bring floaties/life jacket if your child uses those in the pool. Sunscreen/hats and cover ups are a must in the strong sun.

One other tip. My DD is in school and does fine there but she did not want to stay at the kids club alone. Luckily on DCL we could attend with her so she did some fun activities there. I would prepare yourself for the possibility that your child may not want to go to the kids club. In that case, try to find fun family acitivites to do together on the ship.

Have a great time!

We always bring potty covers - they sell great ones at Target that are disposible. They are smaller to pack and you can bring a few onto the island with you. Just throw it away when you are finished.

We also bring lots of stickers for dinner time and a small pad of paper and 5 or 6 crayons. It will help when your child gets antsy during a long dinner. Hide them until dinner time so it's something new and exciting.

Most cruise lines will also bring out your child's food before yours so they can get a head start. Just ask!

Have fun!

As kerry said, brought some packaged snacks for the beach. Also grabbed boxed cereal and fruit from breakfast buffet for beach snacks. Also borrowed some plastic cups and spoons from breakfast buffet to use at beach to help make castles.

Bringing fresh food, especially fruit and vegetables, off the ship is illegal in almost all ports. It is a small, but real, risk to the local agriculture. Pre-packaged items such as boxed cereal, packets of crackers/crackers and cheese, granola/snack bars, sealed beverages (except juices in most cases), and such are usually fine. There are a few countries, New Zealand comes to mind, with restrictions on grain and nut products as well. I know people have been caught and/or fined for smuggling things like nut packets into the country.

Please be sure to follow the local laws and ship restrictions. The health and well-being of the places we visit can depend on it.

beachchick

Our most important "must bring" for our cruise (just returned, DD is 2 years 11 months) were the grandparents. :D Sure - we were on an NCL suite so the butler service for dinners at our suite was valuable also but the fact that we had "extra" people with us was really important.

Other important "must brings" for us were:

- a portable DVD player (mainly for flights)

- our own travel size potty

- DD's own suitcase "Trixie" - what a fantastic invention! It kept my DD occupied while at the airport (she loved to pull it herself), acted as a kind of stroller at which she could sit when she got tired and was perfect for all of her small stuff. Can't recommend it enough!

trunki-trixie.jpg

http://www.trunki.co.uk/products/trunki_2/trixie_3

I did bring a lot of snacks/small juice boxes with me for her but honestly we could have done without them.

PATIENCE!!! We just returned w/ our 4 year old and I must say it was trying at times. Embarkation/debarkation were the worst lol I have a very active 4 year old who isnt used to sitting still in one spot for 30 minutes - an hour.

PATIENCE!!! We just returned w/ our 4 year old and I must say it was trying at times. Embarkation/debarkation were the worst lol I have a very active 4 year old who isnt used to sitting still in one spot for 30 minutes - an hour.

Best advice ever for traveling with children!:)

beachchick

We just got back from a cruise with our 3 year old. He isn't really fond of the spraying of the showerhead, so we brought an inflatable "bathtub". I saw other suggestions for them--generally in the $12-15 range with a big duck head on them. I ended up getting an inflatable race car from Academy sports for $3 that is actually a pool float that we can reuse! It was fantastic! We blew it up the first day and put it in the shower. It made getting him clean an easy task.

Bringing fresh food, especially fruit and vegetables, off the ship is illegal in almost all ports. It is a small, but real, risk to the local agriculture. Pre-packaged items such as boxed cereal, packets of crackers/crackers and cheese, granola/snack bars, sealed beverages (except juices in most cases), and such are usually fine. There are a few countries, New Zealand comes to mind, with restrictions on grain and nut products as well. I know people have been caught and/or fined for smuggling things like nut packets into the country.

Please be sure to follow the local laws and ship restrictions. The health and well-being of the places we visit can depend on it.

beachchick

Beachchick thankyou for bringing this up. There is now a new pest in the States, some sort of imported Asian Stinkbug that has wrecked havoc on the East coast. It decimates crops and raises our food prices. They just found it in Washington apple orchards.

When my kids were in preschool SoCal was aerial sprayed with Malathion. This was done two or three times in our area alone. Besides bringing in all the outside animals, covering up our ductwork, keeping the windows closed, we had to cover up anything outside. We couldn't use the air conditioner. Our swingset had to be wrapped in plastic. Of course the wind blew it off and I had to scrub sticky Malathion off before the kids could use it again. Sometimes warning goes out not to trade backyard fruit.

If you want your kids to have fruit there are pre-packaged good-for-them alternatives.

on our last cruise (so carib) we often had some long days with our just turned 3 yr old. She gets hungry more quickly than we do. One trick is to grab two pieces of bread and the little packaged peanut butter and jelly packs they have at the breakfast buffet. I'd pop that into my bag with a plastic knife and if we got stuck somewhere with no food, voila, pb&j sandwich in a jiffy. It was nice to be able to give her something to eat that was actual food rather than just a snack. Peanut butter really sticks with her.

For each trip we pack her little backpack with her stuff including a story book for nighttime--I bring one book with many stories in it -small playdohs, a travel magna doodle type thing plus a "craft bag" = a gallon sized ziploc with crayons, markers, stickers, and a blank notebook. That craft bag is a lifesaver for my dd who loves that kind of stuff. We'd go to dinner, grab out the bag, in between courses if it got slow, the bag would come out.

We also bring a her a life jacket and a snorkel raft. Those have been great!

Archived