Captain Marvin's or Nativeways tours

rpmcruiser

My wife and I are thinking of going to see the stingrays and do a little snorkeling. We are a couple of 50-somethings. She as snorkeled before, I have not. I am looking at either Captain Marvin's or Nativeway Tours. Both are comparable in price. Which tour would best fit our needs?

Just back last week and went with Capt. Marvins stingray city and 2 snorkel stop. We were with newby friends, but we had done this tour 2 other times. I was greatly disappointed in Capt. Marvins and would not go with them again. We were told to meet at their office before 10:15, that we would be leaving AT 10:15. Well one couple had not shown up, so we waited and waited and waited, approximately 30 minutes, the whole time sitting on a WARM bus. During this time they were constantly trying to recruit more people for the tour, but the bus was pretty full, only 2 empty jump seats remaining. Our bus had 35 (we were all on one boat) and the other bus had a party of 17, and they were given a boat to themselves. They left on time. Once to stingray city, we were all grouped together for individual photos with the stingrays. It felt like a big huddle. They were totally into selling pics, not enjoying the experience. They only opened 1 box of bait to feed the stingrays and with 35 that box went quickly. Our friends had never snorkeled and were given nothing in the way of instructions on how to snorkel. At the end of the trip very few people tipped on the boat or the bus driver. Of all of the tours we did on this cruise, this is the only one I regretted and the only company I would not go with again.

We used Stingray Sailing and had an amazing time. You get to go out on a really cool catamaran instead of the water buses everyone else uses. All the other boats traveled out to the sandbar a little faster than we did but I appreciate a nice boat ride, and I wouldn't have wanted to be crammed on one of those other boats with all of those passengers. Chip and his crew were great, funny, very approachable. I would recommend them to anyone.

I am doing the Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour. Picked Native Way because of going to Rum Point Beach. I have already done the stingrays and reef snorkel. If you would also like some beautiful, quiet beach time, go on this one to Rum Point. Beach looks like a Corona commercial. Not crowded like Seven Mile.

We did Native Ways two weeks ago and had a great time. We did their Island and Stingray tour. There was just the two of us on the Island tour portion of the tour and a total of 5 on the Stingray portion. Very friendly staff ( got a hug from Sharon at the end). We felt like big shots on a private tour after seeing the other boats ( Capt. Marvins, etc.) filled to capacity. Thumbs up for Native Ways.

• 1 month later...

We have done Capt Marvin over 4 times in the past--last was a nightmare. Like the above poster--sat on a bus for over 30 minutes past our leave time. On a crowded dirty diesel smelling boat.

Worst of while we were snorkeling one fellow passenger became panicked. my DH not a strong swimmer tried to help and call for help. I'm a good swimmer and between the 2 of us-- got him back to the boat at NO time did anyone on the boat even notice 3 people yelling for help..........Nor did they ever do a head count. We could have easily left people behind.

Sad to say-- I would not recommend Capt Marvin's. That is why I'm looking for a new tour to do.

Stupid question...I have been reading too many reviews. My family and I are doing the Nativeway Ray, Reef, and Rum Point tour. Do they bring a lot of bait? I don't want my kids to be disappointed...2 are teens. :eek:

yes he has a whole bucket of bait!! also when we were at Rum point we watched him fish from the back of the boat and he caught two really nice size fish!! To original poster, Nativeways gets my vote too

yes he has a whole bucket of bait!! also when we were at Rum point we watched him fish from the back of the boat and he caught two really nice size fish!! To original poster, Nativeways gets my vote too

Do you happen to have the website for Nativeways? We will be there in December. Thanks ahead of time :)

Here is the website for Nativeways: http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/

I booked them for the the rays, reef, and rum point tour in September. I read many good reviews, I liked that they will pick you up at the cruise ship pier, after I booked they sent me a confirmation email, reserving my spot, gave time the tour will depart pier and when tour will return to the pier. They also do not require a deposit, you pay on the tour boat, they did mention that if you pay with a credit card there is a 4% processing fee.

I'm glad to see Native Way is still getting great reviews. We did the Stingray City and snorkeling three years ago. My 18 year old daughter got to drive the boat back to the dock. Best (and least expensive) excursion of several cruises. Booking again for VOS cruise.

We used Captain Marvin this January and experienced none of the problems described above. Found them to be very professional and would certainly use them again. After our stingray/snorkel excursion we were picked up at the dock by a very knowledgeable lady in a van and taken on a land tour which included Hell and the Turtle Farm which was particularly interesting.

We used Captain Marvin this January and experienced none of the problems described above. Found them to be very professional and would certainly use them again. After our stingray/snorkel excursion we were picked up at the dock by a very knowledgeable lady in a van and taken on a land tour which included Hell and the Turtle Farm which was particularly interesting.

We did the same tours as Putterdude last year and loved Capt Marvin's. I'm disappointed that it doesn't sound up to par.

Archived