Drinking age?

merryecho

Just booked a week in the Greek islands with my 20 year old daughter. Does anyone know how strict Seabourn is about their 21 and over drinking rule? I see she can have wine with dinner with me, which is nice. Not planning on a big week of drinking, but she would love to have a cocktail with me before or after dinner.

I do not think there will be any problem. I imagine Seabourn expects the parent to 'police' the young adult's liquor consumption. ANd, after all, most cultures are not as stringent as we are in the US and you will be in Europe.

Just booked a week in the Greek islands with my 20 year old daughter. Does anyone know how strict Seabourn is about their 21 and over drinking rule? I see she can have wine with dinner with me, which is nice. Not planning on a big week of drinking, but she would love to have a cocktail with me before or after dinner.

On a very recent cruise, Seabourn would not serve alcohol to teenagers - despite their father trying his best to have this policy reversed - they would not agree.

• 2 years later...

I saw that the question has been responded a couple years ago and wanted to know if there are any 'fresh' news on it. We just booked our first trip with Seabourn and I'm 20.

Just like merryecho's daughter I am not planning on drinking large amounts but some wine during meals, for example, would be great.

Any info appreciated, thanks!

On our July Cruise they would not serve my daughter any alcohol at all she was overage for all the ports and comes from a country where she is legally allowed to drink. There was a hole punched in her room card which denoted she was under age. My son who was 21 was continually carded until staff got to know him.

On our most recent cruise the bar staff had photos of the u21s for their reference so they knew who could and couldn't be served. Even on our last cruise several staff "checked" on him.

Definitely no wine in the Restaurant. They removed her glasses as we sat down right from night one.

Of course it will depend on the staff ;)

On our July Cruise they would not serve my daughter any alcohol at all she was overage for all the ports and comes from a country where she is legally allowed to drink. There was a hole punched in her room card which denoted she was under age. My son who was 21 was continually carded until staff got to know him.

On our most recent cruise the bar staff had photos of the u21s for their reference so they knew who could and couldn't be served. Even on our last cruise several staff "checked" on him.

Definitely no wine in the Restaurant. They removed her glasses as we sat down right from night one.

Of course it will depend on the staff ;)

Hence my comment that US based cruise lines will tend to keep to US law (e.g.:21+) they'd rather not get (legally) slapped back home. And yes the staff can make all the difference in the world. :)

Edited by baychilla

Thank you for the answers and sorry for taking long to respond...busy week :eek:

I guess I'll have to wait and see! I just find funny we'll be in Portugal next week and I'll be 'free' to have anything I want but when we're back there in May I won't (onboard, that is). Anyways, I already have my 'bright side' of these rules; no drinking means less calories to worry about...or more calories to consume with sweets, etc. ;):D

I have 2 son's and both have been on seabourne many times. My wife and I have traveled on SB for about 15 years, and love most everything about the ships. We like many others book trips just to be on the ships. My oldest (36) meet his wife on seabourn in about 2001. Years ago it didn't come up at all, but that has changed. My youngest who was 21, 22 in Jan '14, was asked so many times for his ID on our trip in Dec., that I had to put a stop to it. They have our passports, they should be able to determine if you are under 21 in advance. Thus, my son wouldn't have had to carry his ID to have a beer with lunch for the first 4 days of our trip. It became annoying. If you are under 21, I would not expect to be served.

Edited by pater15

They do have your info.

On most cruises they punch a hole in an under age room card. Ergo you only need your room card.

On some cruises (where there are only a few minors) they keep your boarding photo behind the bar.

On the first cruise my son experienced this, he used his ID and then they explained to us about the hole system. Pater I would suggest your son checks next time which system they are using, after all, he is an adult.

I do not blame the servers for checking…. we were told the problem has arisen because too many US kids u21 get on board an go silly with the alcohol.

Ricardo, my 19 yo can drink all the time, it's only when she is on Seabourn that she is restricted

He would have loved the hole system, but it was not offered. We were on the Pride. He carried his drivers lic with his room key. Having lost a few room keys myself, wasn't a fan. My point is small ship, crew, and few young adults, it shouldn't take 4 days. They nomally know my name in 2 days, which still after all these years amazes me. We are actually back on the Pride March 16, unfortunately he can't go, in school (UGA).

Cheers