Advice on which Water Camera to buy?

All the Aussies we met last year in Fiji were sporting Panasonic Lumix. The Canon D10 rates well, but is slightly more "bulbous" and not the thing to "slip in your pocket" like the Panasonic.:)

What colour did you get Susie? And what depth does it go to?:confused:

Camera arrived today from Perth.....very quick. Much relief!!!

We got a Blue one.......couldn't find one person who sold the Canon D10, I think it has'nt been updated for quite a while.

I think the depth is 12m

Camera arrived today from Perth.....very quick. Much relief!!!

We got a Blue one.......couldn't find one person who sold the Canon D10, I think it has'nt been updated for quite a while.

I think the depth is 12m

Nice one, glad it arrived - one less thing to think about!!:D

The only problem now is I have to learn how to operate another thing!!!:eek:

You've got a few more days, plus a few hours flying time to read up and practise :p

Perhaps you could start by taking a photo of you & Graeme and posting it to your shipmates:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You've got a few more days, plus a few hours flying time to read up and practise :p

Perhaps you could start by taking a photo of you & Graeme and posting it to your shipmates:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't know how to do that:confused::confused:

I don't know how to do that:confused::confused:

Take a picture, download it to your computer. Compose an email, attach the photo and send. It's not too bad once you've done it. Finding the right buttons to push is the hardest part.

I must say, those photos are beautiful. We're going in August and seeing those pictures, well... I just can't wait. Thanks for sharing them. I too am considering an underwater camera. Hopefully I'll make the right choice.

Thank you for all the info, I have tried to look at a Canon D 10 camera but they don't seem to have them here in Australia anymore,

The Lumix Panasonic seems the most popular.

Has anyone else got this camera?

Have you thought about a good quality camera with an underwater housing? I know Canon makes a housing for most of their cameras. There are also other manufacturers out there. This is the route that I chose. I found in some of the reviews that not all underwater cameras take great pictures out of the water. This way you get the best of both worlds.

• 2 months later...

I bought the Canon D10 a few years ago. I can highly recommend it. So, it smoked up when we were on vacation when it was plugged in with the USB cable into my laptop -- and I got lazy and never sent it back to Canon to return it, but they were helpful (it still works fine, i was just worried -- no one else reported these problems that I saw).

Here's some video, both pictures and video, taken using that camera:

This is on the Big Island of Hawaii -- it has better water clarity in this spot and the day was moderately sunny, slight puffy white, beautiful, dreamy Hawaiian clouds....

Buying the housings for your "land" camera can be a better deal perhaps, since you don't need to carry around now more than one camera (though I use this camera on vacations in and out of the water). A friend had his housing spring a leak and ruined his camera, though, so that can be risky if you are not very careful with the unit, keeping it cleaned after being in salt water, etc.

This Canon D10 is a bit bigger than your normal point n' shoots so when using it for out of water, it's not as convenient perhaps as a smaller point n' shoot.

Archived