Car seats? at ports?

NINAVMD

hi everyone!

I am very new to traveling with an infant! Going on her first cruise this June (she turns 1)!

how do you travel in taxis' in ports? No car seats? I have no idea!

Is it ok to just put the baby on your lap while going to the beach at port?

What did you guys do?

also a dilemma with taxi's traveling to the port! What to do!?

Most ports you will visit will have laws that require that infants be appropriately restrained in car seats. Regardless of whether it's required by law, the "laws of physics" still apply.

The number one factor in whether a car accident will be serious or even fatal is whether the occupant is unrestrained. Ejection from the vehicle is nearly always fatal. Even severe collisions or rollovers may be survivable if you are appropriately restrained, but certainly not if you fly around the vehicle or are ejected.

Seat belts are designed to restrain adults. Children are too small. Even school age children generally lack the discipline to sit straight and still in the seat so that the seatbelt is always in contact with both hips and the shoulder. Kids' spinal vertebrae do not "ossify" or harden until somewhere between 3 and 6 years old - before then, their spines can "give" and stretch further than their spinal cord can, which can result in paralysis or death.

So, those are the facts. You're the parent, and what you do with them is a parenting choice. I think you're asking for experiences and opinions, so I'll give them both to you.

A 1 year old needs to be in a carseat (and rear-facing, because of the spinal development issue - better than 90% of serious crashes are frontal and being rear-facing is better protection in a crash).

So, what do you do about ports? We have traveled (but not yet cruised) with DS. We bring his car seat. For our cruise, we picked one with at least one port where we could just walk or tender off the ship - we need a life vest, but no taxi so no car seat required. We picked a ship with a pool for non-potty trained kids, so there was water to play in even if we can't get off the ship.

We researched the ports we will be visiting. While open-air "safari" bus style cabs are common in the Caribbean, especially on excursions, it is almost always possible to get a traditional taxi cab with seatbelts and to install the seat. If not, we walk with our stroller (take an umbrella fold one, and preferably one that is slightly better quality and with more features than what you can buy at Walmart - I can give advice if you want more re: strollers).

But we also accept that cruising with an infant is going to be different than cruising as a couple, and that this will only last a relatively short period of time. We may not be able to take this excursion. We may not get off the boat in this port. That's okay, because we chose a ship with lots to do for these cruises while DS is very young. When he's older, we'll have more options.

As to which car seat to bring, IMO a good choice is a Cosco Scenera, even if you have a more full-featured seat for regular use. It's very lightweight. It comes in a zippered plastic bag that can keep the seat clean (and sand out of the belt mechanism) if you take it to the beach. It's cheap.

I also plan to bring a popup beach tent/cabana. An infant will need to get out of the sun sometimes. That's a good place to stash your car seat.

And you should buy a separate airplane seat for LO if you fly. The big risk in flying is turbulence - it occurs suddenly, and despite what you may believe, you cannot rely upon holding on to your LO to keep him/her safe (note: it happens suddenly and without warning in most cases). Also, when you gate check a car seat, it gets tossed, sometimes from the plane's cargo bay down 10-15 feet to the tarmac. That's a collision. A car seat is only good for one of them. But if you absolutely must gate check a car seat because LO doesn't have a purchased seat, certainly you should be using a cheap "disposable" car seat and not your regular one that you would continue to use after travel.

I agree with the previous poster and yes bring a carseat its possible ur infant might still fit into the pumpkin seat. Then buy the time u get back u could switch to a convertible carseat. That or do what the other poster said and try to avoid car rides take a ferry or walk while in ports. Both my kids didn't outgrow the pumpkin seat until 13 or 14 mos.

Do a quick search of this forum and you'll get both side of this debate. There are those of us (like milton333, cruisinmama06 and I) who are quite adamant about using car seats. It is possible, with a bit of research, some patience and a bit of skill to install a car seat in port. If you tell us what infant seat you have and what ports you're going to we might be able to give more details.

ITA that vehicle safety shouldn't change just because you're on vacation. We have travelled with our boys since they were 4 and 2 respectively, choosing our transportation options carefully and lugging our Britax Marathon in more airplanes than I care to list!

Ask away...my caveat is that I'm a Canadian car seat tech, so I don't know all the US seats.

It's a parenting choice. However, my husband and I are adament about proper car seat use, including rear facing to the limit of the seat. As an engineer I know too much about collisions and crash dynamics and I will never allow one of my children to ride unrestrained in a motor vehicle.

We chose an itinerary with ports where there is no tendering and plenty to do that is easily walkable from the ship (and in safe areas!). We also decided to forego any excursions that would include a motorcoach ride, as there is usually no way to secure a car seat in a coach bus.

DD's Boulevard will be staying in our car at the pier since we're driving to the port. In any US or Canadian port city there will be laws requiring your 1 year old to be in a car seat when going from the airport to the port. If she still fits safely in her infant seat I would bring that (installing without the base should be quick and easy). If you need a convertible I'd consider a Cosco Scenera (usually around $40 at Walmart or Target). I'm spoiled by our Britax seats for easy use and installation but a Scenera is supposed to be a good seat for travel since it's lightweight and inexpensive.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice. This will be our first cruise. We will have a 1-yo and 3-yo. I will not ride in cars without their carseats but my question is: where do I store two carseats during the cruise? In my room? Or will te ship have a storage space that can hold the seats?

Thanks for the advice. This will be our first cruise. We will have a 1-yo and 3-yo. I will not ride in cars without their carseats but my question is: where do I store two carseats during the cruise? In my room? Or will te ship have a storage space that can hold the seats?

In your cabin. I just throw mine at the bottom of the closet. They are usually pretty deep. Your suitcases fit under your bed which leaves space at the bottom of the closet for car seats.

In your cabin. I just throw mine at the bottom of the closet. They are usually pretty deep. Your suitcases fit under your bed which leaves space at the bottom of the closet for car seats.

My turn to say ditto! The marathon fit easily on the floor of our closet, with the booster on top. If we had two seats, I'd flip one upside down to puzzle them together.

I had to laugh today, I saw a scenera on sale for $60 from $100...only in Canada lol!

My turn to say ditto! The marathon fit easily on the floor of our closet' date=' with the booster on top. If we had two seats, I'd flip one upside down to puzzle them together.

I had to laugh today, I saw a scenera on sale for $60 from $100...only in Canada lol![/quote']

$60, lol. And here I am waiting for it to go on sale at target for $35 because I don't want to give wallyworld my $39.

Hi:

I am new to all this child-centred research as our cruise in July will be the first when we are cruising with a little one. We are bringing our 4.5 year old granddaughter (as well as our two adult daughters) on a 12 day eastern Med cruise. We will have a total of 7 flights, 2 coach excursions, 2 mini-van excursions and a few taxis along the way. Possibly one train trip from Naples to Sorrento.

What are my best options with respect to keeping my DGD as safe as possible? She is a little tall for her age, but quite slim, so weighs less than your average 4.5 year old.

I have a Britex Marathon in my car that I use whenever my DGD is riding in my car. Should I bring this on the cruise, or should I buy a Cosco Scenera?

There are four adults travelling, so we should be able to manage whatever we have to bring (we are bringing a collapsible stroller that still fits my DGD).

I have to wonder about the safety value of the Cosco Scenera if it only costs $60, when I paid $300 for the Britex (Canadian prices :o).

I appreciate all responses. Thanks in advance!

Hi:

I am new to all this child-centred research as our cruise in July will be the first when we are cruising with a little one. We are bringing our 4.5 year old granddaughter (as well as our two adult daughters) on a 12 day eastern Med cruise. We will have a total of 7 flights, 2 coach excursions, 2 mini-van excursions and a few taxis along the way. Possibly one train trip from Naples to Sorrento.

What are my best options with respect to keeping my DGD as safe as possible? She is a little tall for her age, but quite slim, so weighs less than your average 4.5 year old.

I have a Britex Marathon in my car that I use whenever my DGD is riding in my car. Should I bring this on the cruise, or should I buy a Cosco Scenera?

There are four adults travelling, so we should be able to manage whatever we have to bring (we are bringing a collapsible stroller that still fits my DGD).

I have to wonder about the safety value of the Cosco Scenera if it only costs $60, when I paid $300 for the Britex (Canadian prices :o).

I appreciate all responses. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the family forum and good for you for asking questions before you go. I'm a Canadian car seat tech (Ontario certified) so I can answer a few of your questions from the Canadian perspective.

1. The Scenera is $60 on sale...usually it's $100 in Canada :) All seats in Canada are tested to the same standard by Transport Canada, so as long as it has the safety seal with the big maple leaf on it, it's safe. What you get with Britax is convenience, like the cover that's easy to remove, no twist straps, built-in lock offs (so you never have to use a locking clip) and so on. When travelling, we always bring our Marathon, mainly for the lock offs. If you're using taxis, bring the Marathon, as if you happen to find a seatbelt that won't lock, you can still install your seat. The Scenera doesn't have this feature. (Actually in Canada it's only Britax and Graco infant seat bases that have this feature.)

2. I don't remember off the top of my head, but the Scenara may also have lower harness slots than the marathon. So if you go this route, check to see if the strap slots are at or above her shoulders.

3. There are a multitude of posts on why you should use a car seat when travelling, including while on aircraft and in moving vehicles. Your DGD is likely big enough to ride on a coach bus without her car seat, and the train is fine as there are no seatbelts there either. Both of these vehicles are designed to protect occupants without the use of a seatbelt. Otherwise she should be in her car seat. There are lots of ways of transporting a car seat through airports, hotels, transfers etc, just ask and we will gladly share our experiences! (FWIW our last trip was with two adults, two kids 5 and 3, a car seat, a booster seat, 4 planes, two transfers, three hotels and a 7 day cruise. We all survived!)

Welcome to the family forum and good for you for asking questions before you go. I'm a Canadian car seat tech (Ontario certified) so I can answer a few of your questions from the Canadian perspective.

1. The Scenera is $60 on sale...usually it's $100 in Canada :) All seats in Canada are tested to the same standard by Transport Canada' date=' so as long as it has the safety seal with the big maple leaf on it, it's safe. What you get with Britax is convenience, like the cover that's easy to remove, no twist straps, built-in lock offs (so you never have to use a locking clip) and so on. When travelling, we always bring our Marathon, mainly for the lock offs. If you're using taxis, bring the Marathon, as if you happen to find a seatbelt that won't lock, you can still install your seat. The Scenera doesn't have this feature. (Actually in Canada it's only Britax and Graco infant seat bases that have this feature.)

2. I don't remember off the top of my head, but the Scenara may also have lower harness slots than the marathon. So if you go this route, check to see if the strap slots are at or above her shoulders.

3. There are a multitude of posts on why you should use a car seat when travelling, including while on aircraft and in moving vehicles. Your DGD is likely big enough to ride on a coach bus without her car seat, and the train is fine as there are no seatbelts there either. Both of these vehicles are designed to protect occupants without the use of a seatbelt. Otherwise she should be in her car seat. There are lots of ways of transporting a car seat through airports, hotels, transfers etc, just ask and we will gladly share our experiences! (FWIW our last trip was with two adults, two kids 5 and 3, a car seat, a booster seat, 4 planes, two transfers, three hotels and a 7 day cruise. We all survived!)[/quote']

Hi B& Z's Mom:

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I was hoping you would see my question!

I am doing as much research as I can, which of course includes the CC Family board, and then will make my decision, which of course will be based on safety, with convenience only a very distant second.

I really, really appreciate your helpful answers.

Hi B& Z's Mom:

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I was hoping you would see my question!

I am doing as much research as I can, which of course includes the CC Family board, and then will make my decision, which of course will be based on safety, with convenience only a very distant second.

I really, really appreciate your helpful answers.

No problem, glad to help a fellow canuck :)

You may also want to look at Transport Canada's website, they recently added some information on travelling with children.

Here's a few links to get you started:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/standards/commerce-cabinsafety-tips-tips5-1368.htm

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safedrivers-childsafety-schoolbus-index-142.htm (this is about school bus safety, but also somewhat applies to coach buses)

http://www.kidsflysafe.com/ (scroll down to the CBS clip, it's worth watching)

Archived