Categories B3 vs BA

che5904

as i said above the BB's have connecting as well

BBs don't have connectivity listed if you note my quote. Now if you go to the actual floor plans you will see that BB will have 2 sets of rooms that are connected (BB to BB)- there are also additional BB's connected to B2s... however if you are following the floor plans then you will also note the triangle versus the +...this indicates that the BB will only hold 3 while the B2 (has the +) will hold 4.

BBs don't have connectivity listed if you note my quote. Now if you go to the actual floor plans you will see that BB will have 2 sets of rooms that are connected (BB to BB)- there are also additional BB's connected to B2s... however if you are following the floor plans then you will also note the triangle versus the +...this indicates that the BB will only hold 3 while the B2 (has the +) will hold 4.

So basically if I am understanding you since the sq ft is approx. that the B2's may actually be physically a little larger to put a full size sofa in to sleep 2, as oppose to a love seat that would only sleep one. That makes more sense then.

That could be the reason because they use approximate and up to frequently. I would just be careful when selecting the room because on deck 9 there are B3 connected to B3 where one B3 holds 3 and the other 4. These tend to be more midship versus the B2/BB connection. Again not great clarity in the differences.

That could be the reason because they use approximate and up to frequently. I would just be careful when selecting the room because on deck 9 there are B3 connected to B3 where one B3 holds 3 and the other 4. These tend to be more midship versus the B2/BB connection. Again not great clarity in the differences.

Thanks for your help mesci perhaps we have solved the mystery afterall :cool:

• 5 months later...

just joined the discussion. thinking about booking the Jewel next May and the BC vs B2 (or B3) thing is confusing. Asked my TA and waiting for response. I think is is a marketing thing.... pure and simple but lets see what the TA says... stay tuned!

Here is what I could come up with.

For the most part, the following holds true when compared against each other:

B1 - Aft-Facing balconies.

BA - Mid-Ship Balconies.

Above two, "most" desireable. Can accomodate 4, some 3, and there're some that connect.

BB, BC, BD, BX - All hold 3. Some are connecting, some are not.

B2 - Are "Family" when compared to BB, BC, BD, BX because they hold 4 when the "regular" balconies around them hold 3. There are some connecting of these, but not all. If two holds 4 balconies connect, they're both B2's.

B3 - Are all connecting. And they are in pairs. Some hold 3, some hold 4. There are no two B3's that hold 4 that are connected. That would be a B2 as noted above. They are either two holds 3, or one holds 3 and one holds 4.

It appears that the thing with the B3 is that they are intended to be sold in pairs. That is what the description lends to, and the deck plans picture as well. There are only a few of them and they are all in pairs. I don't know if they hold true to this or not, but I'd imagine they could be required to be sold with the ajoining B3.

The only thing that doesn't hold true to what I wrote above is that there are a few B2 and BB connecting rooms (B2 holds 4, BB holds 3) where as they are the same for a B3 combo.

My only guess is that they intend, or actually require the B3's to be sold as pairs and the demand doesn't require all of these combos to be dealt with that way. So some of those pairs are left as B2 (holds 4) and a "regular" BB that holds 3.

This is what I could gather from looking at the deck plans for decks 8, 9, 10. They are all the same rooms. Only difference is if they hold 3 or 4, if they connect or not, and their location on the ship. Lastly, it could be a requirement that two adjoining B3's must be sold together.

Does any of that make sense?

Cheers!

• 6 months later...

This is a mystery to me as well but on my sailing (August 2012 on the Star) the B3 was $100 less than the other balconies (except 8th deck which I wanted to avoid, they were the same price)

I think they are intended to be sold in pairs as mentioned above so they give a little bit of a break on the price to encourage people to purchase 2 for a family. No real requirement that you do this though because I purchased one just for 2 of us because I wanted a balcony and this was the least expensive option.

Maybe it has something to do with the fold down bed from the wall. Perhaps the BA does not have one and the B3 does. Therefore, you would be able to have 4 people in a B3 and only 3 in a BA. Also, the higher the deck the more expensive the room. I know on the POA, BA was the highest category balcony because it was on a higher floor. Just a guess.

you are correct the difference is not the size of the room it's that there is a extra bed from the wall that pulls down that makes it a family balcony. the family balcony sleeps 4 and the mid ship balcony sleeps 3.

A BA isconsidered mid ship...

I'll take a stab at it...family cabin either needs to sleep up to 4 or connect. Could sleep 3 but must be able to connect. Haven't seen any up to 3 people cabins that don't connect classified as a family. Did I get it right...:D

• 3 years later...

What a mystery!

I'm perplexed in the differences among BA cabins. For instance, myself and DS are booked into a BA (14768) for 2 people. Hubby and DS are in a BA (14770) for 3 people, and our dear friends (a couple with no kids) are in a BA (14772) for 4 people. We all paid the same amount.

They are all the same size and layout from what I can tell. I won't know if there is a difference until we get on ship...but you can be sure I'll take pics and post here if there is one!

What a mystery!

I'm perplexed in the differences among BA cabins. For instance, myself and DS are booked into a BA (14768) for 2 people. Hubby and DS are in a BA (14770) for 3 people, and our dear friends (a couple with no kids) are in a BA (14772) for 4 people. We all paid the same amount.

They are all the same size and layout from what I can tell. I won't know if there is a difference until we get on ship...but you can be sure I'll take pics and post here if there is one!

???

Edited by jefarl

Think about it. 3 cabins in a row, all the same category and size. According to the deck plans one will sleep 2 people, one sleeps 3, and one sleeps 4. I'm curious as to how they are different/what about them determines that more people can sleep in one rather than the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app