Explorer of the Seas vs. Norweigen Jewel and Gem

Good day all, me and my girlfriend are currently book to do a b2b on the Explorer in October going to Can/NE(9 nights) and Bermuda(5 nights). However due to Norweigens recent sale, we are re-considering as we can save approximately $350 per person or book balcony's on the Norweigen cruises and pay about the same. We would also get about a $100 extra in on-board credits with Norweigen.

I haven't been on any of these ships but have been on the Serenade and the Rhapsody and have been on the Norweigen Sun. I know that overall the food is better on RCI and really in order to get decent food on the Norweigen ship at night we would have to book a specialty resaurant(which they have an abundance of).

The differences in Itineraries(both cruises will be 14 nights overall) is that Norweigen spends 3 days in Kings Wharf and RCI only spends two. But on the Canada/NE side, Norweigen goes to Sydney, NS but not to Bar Harbour or Boston(which RCI does go to). The Norweigen cruise also leaves from Manhattan while the Explorer leaves from Bayonne. Norweigen we would have to take two different ships and have a day in between both cruises(but could easily use this to explore Manhattan.

I am kind of leaning towards the Explorer because of the C&A as we will become platinum members after the Can/NE cruise and then once we do the Bermuda cruise we will only need to do one more cruise before we are Emerald. However my girlfriend is leaning towards the Norweigen cruise due to its significantly cheaper price(probably because we just got our property tax assessment yesterday and those saving are approximately 1/3 of the bill) and because it docks in Manhattan and she would rather do stuff in New York than New Jersey. Where I'd rather do stuff in Jersey than Manhattan.

So with all this said, what would you guys choose or what pros and cons can you tell me to help us make our decision. We have to make a decision by tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for your replies, this is why I love these boards.

I can not provide much insight because I never cruised on NCL, but I did have to make a decision between NCL and RCL for upcoming cruise to Bermuda next week. I originally booked last spring on RCL for 5 day cruise, but then saw the NCL price come down to essentially the same price for a 7 day cruise later last year or earlier this year for dates that were very close to RCL dates. The extra 2 days and extra day in Bermuda was very enticing. However, my work schedule is very busy this time of year and our kids activities schedules are also very full which would have made taking the extra 2 days very hard. Had these factors not entered into the decision, I think I would have gone with the Gem. I preferred what the Explorer had to offer for our kids a bit more than the Gem, but for the extra 2 days at the essentially the same price (would have been a bit more considering the extra 2 day of expenses) I would have given NCL and the Gem a try.

I had to make a similar choice last summer for our cruise to Bermuda. I ended up choosing Norwegian Spirit because I really wanted a 7 day cruise instead of 5 days. Looking back I really wished I would have chosen Explorer instead. I think Royal Carribean provides a much better experience and definately better food.

Have you figured in how much the specialty restaurants & the hotel will cost when you look at the savings?

Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death by some posters as I have seen some previous threads.

Yeah we were kind of discussing this but the price difference is so huge, $860 total. So even with a more expensive hotel, say $100/night for 2 nights. Or it might even be better to stay in jersey and take a cab. What would cab fare be? $100?

When we went on the Sun a few years ago you could book specialty restaurant after 8pm and go to them for half price. Not sure if they still do this on NCL or not. But we usually do the late dining on RCI so that would be enticing if NCL still did that.

But is it worth staying with RCI for the C&A?

There are two major benefits that come from going to gold to platinum (in my opinion). 1. The balcony discount - in many cases $100 off. 2. Priority check-in and boarding.

You also get robes and some better coupons in your room and, I believe, invitations to an event during the cruise.

These don't really add up to your savings.

My bigger concern would be if you are happy with the differences between the ships. I have never sailed NCL, so I can't comment directly. But, because you plan to spend so much time cruising, the ship would be important to me.

We sailed on the Jewel in 2010, had a great cruise and it was a very nice ship, but we sailed on the Explorer this year and loved it...The EOS seemed to us to be a much easier to navigate. And I will have to agree, RCCL's MDR food was slighly better, but NCL's buffet (in my opinion) was better . Having said that, we are booked 2012 on the Adventure of the Seas, a sister ship to the EOS, and 2013 we will be sailing on the Jewel again.

Have a great vacation!:D

Melanie

So after inquiring with my TA further about the NCL prices I found out that NCL has significantly higher taxes. So the per person savings were actually only about $245 per person and the OBC would also end up being the same between the two choices. As mentioned above once we factored in our extra cab costs to get to the port and to have to stay an extra night in a hotel between the two cruises that would have easily of used the savings of one person and probably more.

So at the end of the day it's not worth $240 to stray not got with RCI when the only significant thing we liked better about NCL in the past was the entertainment. Chances are we will not get the same entertainment and thus it could be similar to what we are used to on RCI anyhow.

Thanks for everyone's help here as this case is closed and we have two future platinum members in the works.

We sailed on the Jewel in 2010, had a great cruise and it was a very nice ship, but we sailed on the Explorer this year and loved it...The EOS seemed to us to be a much easier to navigate. And I will have to agree, RCCL's MDR food was slighly better, but NCL's buffet (in my opinion) was better . Having said that, we are booked 2012 on the Adventure of the Seas, a sister ship to the EOS, and 2013 we will be sailing on the Jewel again.

Have a great vacation!:D

Melanie

Definitely agree with this sentiment between the two ships.

Maybe one day we will get back to Norweigen, but for now we just have so many Royal ships to Explore.

Archived