6 year old with broke leg???

mrhoden2

Just my luck my youngest broke his leg less than 2 weeks before our cruise. We are family of me and wife with 2 boys, ages 8 and 6. We are going to Belize, Cozumel, and Honduras. Since the youngest will have a cast on we need ideas that doesn't pertain to water activities. I was thinking renting a jeep in Cozumel and just driving around the island but have no idea what to do in the other ports. Also, leaving him on the ship while we go do something is out of the question, we stay together as a family. I am a workout freak so I will have no problem on having to carry him most of the day if walking is involved. I just want him to have fun but also don't want to disappoint my oldest boy on not doing anything.

This is a bit tough. Remember Belize is a tender port. A long tender ride to the pier. So how mobile is your son going to be getting on and off? Most excursions here involve water-snorkeling, cave-tubing, etc. . Mayan ruins are somewhat all day affairs that involve a lot of walking to get to the ruins once parked. There is a city tour that includes the "zoo". The zoo though isn't your typical US zoo. It's a re-habilation center for injured native Belizean animals. It does invlove some walking. I think stroller work on the paths but not sure if any wheel chairs would and th eterrain may be a little tough to navigae with crutches. Hopefully someone else will have some other suggestions. But if not some sort of compromise or additional activity later might compensate your son if he has to stay on the ship. Camp Carnival will be open.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you thought about renting a wheel chair to use?

Thats a lot of walking on the ship alone with someone with a broke leg-- in a heavy cast.

special care at carnival can show you the way.

One cruise we needed to rent and it was only 85.00

what r u doing in Grand Cayman? Turtle farm, Hell, Rum cake factory>?

My son needed something for a vacation to Canada and we found a really heavy duty jogging type stroller with all terrain wheels, at a consignment store for $40. Used it on the trip and placed it back on consignment when we returned. Sold it for $60, we made a $20 profit and couldn't have had as much fun without it.

Hoping he is in fiberglass......not plaster. If not, get it changed fast. You can even chose the color and they are way lighter and don't mind getting a bit damp in a shower. My husband broke his wrist and he paid only $40 to get fiberglass. He took a shower every morning and although careful not to get it saturated was able to stay clean and cool off.

I think the 'stroller' idea is great. Like the previous poster you might even make a profit!

I would be fair to your older son... it's his vacation, too. If he wants to do one or two water activities, consider splitting up for a couple of the port. You'll be together on the ship every night and all day during sea days.

Archived