Mobile Touristy Things

maldenmusic

We are cruising from Mobile next week and have decided to add a day on each end of the cruise. Afterward we are going to Gulf Shores but does anyone have suggestions for things to do the day before around Mobile? We have visited the Botannical Gardens and the USS Alabama already and are looking for new things to do.

If you don't mind a little driving, you can go to Dauphin Island, about 40 miles to the south of Mobile, and visit Ft. Gaines, a civil war era fort. After the fort, the Dauphin Island beaches are quite nice.

I have heard of this but somehow forgot about it. Is is reachable by a bridge or do you have to take a ferry? The beach looks beautiful.

I have heard of this but somehow forgot about it. Is is reachable by a bridge or do you have to take a ferry? The beach looks beautiful.

Dauphin Island and Ft. Gaines are accessible by bridge from Mobile. There is a ferry from Dauphin Island that will take you across Mobile Bay to see Ft. Morgan if you're into historical forts.

Having been to both, I think Ft. Morgan is the impressive fortress, but again, it depends on your level of interest.

Actually, I just noticed that you were going to Gulf Shores afterwards. Ft. Morgan is on the end of the peninsula that sticks out into Mobile Bay. The highway from Ft. Morgan (AL 180) takes you straight into Gulf Shores. That should cut an hour or two off of your drive versus driving back up through Mobile.

(That is, of course, if you were visiting Dauphin Island after the cruise!)

We've decided to go to Dauphin Island the day before the cruise and enjoy the beach. After the cruise we are going to go to Gulf Shores and see Ft Morgan. I'm a CW enthusiast and am looking forward to the fort especially. Thanks for the suggestions!

Archived