Victory Review - May 8-15, 2011 - Long and Lots of Pictures

shwabob

Hi, loved your review. We are booked on the Victory on 9/11/11. We have aft cabin #6440 and also were assured that the noise was not bad as the stage is forward of the bedroom and does not go late into the night. My wife goes to bed around 10pm. Was the noise a serious enough issue that we should change rooms? We don't mind the engine noise in the morning, we are early risers and had the same room on the Conquest last summer and loved the rear of the ship. There are no aft cabins available on the 7th level but there are side balconies available on 6 and 7 and also suites available for about $400 more for the cruise. Carnival stated this cruise is filling up fast.

Thanks, Bill

Hi, loved your review. We are booked on the Victory on 9/11/11. We have aft cabin #6440 and also were assured that the noise was not bad as the stage is forward of the bedroom and does not go late into the night. My wife goes to bed around 10pm. Was the noise a serious enough issue that we should change rooms? We don't mind the engine noise in the morning, we are early risers and had the same room on the Conquest last summer and loved the rear of the ship. There are no aft cabins available on the 7th level but there are side balconies available on 6 and 7 and also suites available for about $400 more for the cruise. Carnival stated this cruise is filling up fast.

Thanks, Bill

Hey Bill...I posted a reply to your thread where you asked about this. We noticed more the vibration on Karaoke nights than the noise which we could kinda block out with a pillow or by raising the TV volume. If you're big on the views and extended balcony, keep the cabin. If you're fine with the side view, then go with that. It was particularly annoying on the night after Barbados because we had Cosol at 8am the next day and tried to hit the hay right at 11 or so, but were kept up well past 1 thanks to the drunken karaoke below.

Grand Case is a quiet stretch of beach located in the Northwest corner of the island (French side). Our driver dropped us off near what appeared to be a bus stop with a large paved beach parking lot. A quick walk across the street and we were on the beach.

We paid $12 for the chairs on the beach from what looked to be a little bar there on the beach - Calmo's Cafe. However, their food/drink prices were ridiculous and they were using real-time currency conversion, so it was like a sting just looking at it. We went right over to a little square of restaurants just a bit down the beach where the pier was. I don't remember exactly the name of the place, but I think it was La Bodega or something similar. They were serving delicious ribs, chicken, pork, fried plantains, fresh cut fries...it was great and CHEAP. Ribs were $4 for a rack and had a delicious garlic butter sauce on them.

Here is a link to the Google Maps satellite overview of the area. You can see where we parked and Calmo's is marked on the map.

img0990g.jpg

img0991k.jpg

img0992wz.jpg

img0993s.jpg

So it's not Maho, but at least I got to see a plane land from the beach:

img0995ny.jpg

img0996bd.jpg

After eating and lounging on the beach for a while, our driver picked us up right at 2pm. He was very prompt and we had him take us back to Front street, which took about 20 minutes.

Once at Front Street, we started walking around a few shops. Tara and the girls were determined to find nice knock-off purses at this stop, so they went and did their own thing while I headed to the Yoda Guy.

More Pics from Grand Case Beach:

img0998ix.jpg

img0999v.jpg

img1000ka.jpg

img1001ro.jpg

Front Street:

img1002p.jpg

Front Street - make a right and the docks are maybe half a mile if that. It was a nice walk...don't waste your money on a cab (they were everywhere trying to get us to pay them to go back to the ship)

img1003g.jpg

The Yoda Guy Experience

The Yoda Guy's Planet Paradise is a must stop for any Star Wars or sci-fi movie fan. "That Yoda Guy" Nick Maley is one of the guys that contributed to the design of a lot of the animatronic characters in the Star Wars movies, most notably Yoda.

While it's not a fancy schmanzy museum, it was an awesome experience coming from someone that grew up watching the campy, pre-CGI remix of Star Wars. Nick and his wife are some of the most friendly people I've met. Nick was more than happy to sit and chit-chat for a good 30 minutes or so about his work, life on the island, and his thoughts on how CGI has completely changed filmmaking from what it was 20 years ago. I ended up procuring a bookmark as a souvenier and he dedicated/autographed it right on the spot for me. Just incredible getting to sit and talk with the guy and look over some of his amazing work.

img1004jh.jpg

img1006mf.jpg

img1007t.jpg

img1008aa.jpg

img1009ab.jpg

img1011db.jpg

Once done with the Yoda Guy, I headed back down Front Street and met up with Tara and the girls who happened to be right across the street. They were successful in finding purses, wallets, and other souvenirs so we started walking back toward the ship.

As we were heading back toward the ship, we walked by a boatyard and a puppy that was in the fenced area dug under a fence and came running up to us. Very friendly little guy, but he didn't want to stay put and kept trying to follow us onto the sidewalk. We really didn't want the little buddy to get hit by a car, so I ended up carrying him back to the boatyard gate and the security guys there took him in. A good deed accomplished.

Ended up putzing around the port shops for 15-20 minutes, got some coffee for my dad and then headed back to the ship. Our final dinner on the boat and the joys of packing awaited us. After boarding, we ended up going to the Aft Lido pool for our usual munching and relaxed out there in the pool/hot tubs until about 6 when we went to start getting ready for dinner.

Dinner was excellent as usual. Prime Rib was served again this night and I had several along with double WCMC to finish off an excellent cruise.

We went to the late comedy shows, but they were both ridiculously packed and we ended up standing through one (Hank McGauley) before we were able to get seats when everyone cleared for the last show (Happy Cole). Both comedians were excellent. We all got a little tipsy this night as we had to kill most of our BV liquor. What was left over we ended up meeting with Ivon and giving to her and the girls in the dining room so they could use it on their crew parties.

After the comedy shows, we both went up to the Aft Lido deck and munched out on pizza, burgers, nachos, chicken fingers, and lots of ice cream.

Final towel thingy...boooo for last night of cruise:

img1019c.jpg

Final dinner in the MDR:

img1021vn.jpg

Michael and his team were our waiters several times. They were excellent, very personable, and hilarious. Extra tips went out to these guys:

img1022gi.jpg

Day 8 - San Juan

Woke up this morning around 7 or so and got the last of our stuff thrown into carryons. Originally, we had a 5pm flight which Airtran moved to 7:23pm about a week prior to departure...great...

Decided we wanted to get our munch on in the dining room this morning, so we let Michael our steward know that we were going to be leaving our carryons here in the cabin along with giving him another $10 (he got a total of $40 from us throughout the cruise, because he was the best steward we've had yet). Needless to say, we both stuffed ourselves full like gluttonous Americans with our last meal on the boat.

I also fired up my phone and got my check-in done with Airtran through the wi-fi hotspot my droid has. Tara turned on her blackberry and we both enjoyed watching it go crazy as hundreds of emails and texts poured in from over the last week.

After dinner we headed up to the Lido restaurant where we just relaxed, drank lots of delicious Passion-Orange-Guava juice and ice cream (the aft machines were working). We got assigned group 18, but didn't get off until they called the final groups around 11:30. We were among the last 40 people off the ship.

Once we got off the boat, we were standing outside and it started to rain. Port staff hurriedly got everyone into the building which quickly descended into total chaos. I had to push through a mob of people to get to our bags (there was not a carnival employee to be found at all during this process) and then we stood in the herd of people working their way toward the exits. Only two officers were there performing checks...something that really needs improvement along with everything else at this dump of a port. With the rain still pouring, we decided against our plan to drop our bags at Barrachina's for a day @ El Morro, and just ride the mess out in the airport.

After about 30 minutes, we got through customs and headed towards the terminal exits to find the buses for airport transfers. This was very confusing. Eventually we saw a guy holding a "Carnival Pre-Paid Transfers" sign, but he didn't speak a word of English and simply said "Vaminos, vaminos..." and pointed at the bus. You've got to be kidding me. The bus was a really beat down former greyhound bus. I should have just turned back here and paid for a cab, but didn't. They had people taking luggage and putting it on the bus, but when I walked up the guy quickly said "dos dolares para bag" like it was a fee or something. I gave him $2 and told him to load my stuff (we had 2 big bags, 2 carryons which all got loaded into the cargo area of the bus). We get on the bus and I was overwhelmed by the stink of mold/mildew. Water was clearly dripping from the roof of the bus and most of the seats were wet during this 15 minute bus ride from hell. Once at the airport, a guy wearing a Carnival shirt came on the bus and shouted a bunch of stuff in Spanish (again, NO English) about "USDA" and "Securidad es importante". All of the items placed below were simply thrown out of the bus into a puddle in the soaking rain. This was far beyond unacceptable and I've already chewed out several people at CCL about it.

We got our soaked stuff and trudged into the airport. Found a USDA inspection point that had no line and quickly went through it. Since our flight wasn't until 7, we couldn't drop our bags more than 3 hours prior to departure (SJU doesn't appear to have any sort of Automated Baggage Handling system...bags were strewn about everywhere behind the counters) so we got some food at Subway and McD's, where we relaxed for a few hours before getting our boarding passes and going through security. The McD's had flat-screen TV's and comfy couches. The airport was a zoo...really bad security lines when we first entered into the airport, so that was another reason for waiting. By around 4:30 things had calmed down quite a bit.

We went ahead and got through security and parked ourselves in waiting for our 7:30 flight. Tara went and grabbed some stuff and snacks at the duty free. Our flight took off a little before 8, and we were landed at TPA around 10:30. My luggage had a few scuffs from the flight, but nothing too bad. Pops picked us up right on time and we were in bed by midnight. It felt so good to be back home and on my comfy memory foam bed.

Last Breakfast - Pacific Dining Room:

img1024k.jpg

img1025kf.jpg

img1027w.jpg

They had old-school arcade games all over the airport. Made the waiting somewhat better:

img1029o.jpg

I have a quick question - we have never sailed Carnival - are their refrigerators and saves in all the rooms? Also where can I find the square footage of Carnival rooms and balconies? Am I just missing it on their web site.

Thanks, we changed the reservation to 8335 today , but now I noticed that I thought I had cabins above and below me, but the Lido deck by the pool is above us and some people say they can hear chairs dragging around...I can't win....

I have a quick question - we have never sailed Carnival - are their refrigerators and saves in all the rooms? Also where can I find the square footage of Carnival rooms and balconies? Am I just missing it on their web site.

I'm pretty sure the cruisedeckplans dot com website should have that info. I think that most rooms are around 180 sqft, never been that big a deal as they're all pretty much the same from what I have seen.

There should be a safe in every cabin on all Carnival ships. I've never not seen one.

On the Victory, they do not have refrigerators in standard cabins (I'm not sure about suites, though) We had one when we were on the Legend last year and loved it. I believe it's the Conquest, Spirit, and Dream class ships that have the fridge.

Thanks, we changed the reservation to 8335 today , but now I noticed that I thought I had cabins above and below me, but the Lido deck by the pool is above us and some people say they can hear chairs dragging around...I can't win....

You should be much better. We met up with some people that were in 8332 (directly across the ship from you) and they said that while there was a little noise in the morning, for the most part they did not have any issues. They also liked not having anyone above their balcony since the lido deck above cantilevers out a few feet over the balconies on this deck.

Yes there are refrigerators and safes in your staterooms. The refrigerator is an "Honor Bar". But we use it just like the fidge. Just have your cabin steward/ stewardiss open the fidge. It is locked until they unlock it for you. It is usually filled w/ all different sorts of small booze bottles and soda. If you remove / comsume something... you'll pay for it.

We use it for leftovers and medicine.

The safes are located in a small cabinet under your TV/ bar area. They can be opened w/ any credit card. Do not use your cruise card to open / close the safe. Use a credit card that you don't normally use. Here's some photos of our stateroom, # 6327, standard baccony stateroom.

689.jpg.9b8201ec7e1092bf47fe54d59600879f.jpg

PC081004.jpg.5c8e0b6155d70a18d20db7639883155a.jpg

PC091211.jpg.b039d91e77993caca16fb3e1ff5841cc.jpg

701.jpg.0807c765d39d1012ad90bd1047d0a63f.jpg

PC030175.jpg.98722cc655f487880a6e3bc7b813a001.jpg

Really enjoying your review! Loved the Victory!

I sailed on another cruise line last year and we did the Amazing Race in Cozumel. It was so much fun! We finished in second place, but the first place team was actually practicing to be on the show, so we felt pretty good about our placing. I thought the activity was well planned and well run. I would highly recommend it!

We did the Amazing Cozumel Race on our Glory cruise a couple years ago, and I agree, it was very well run and a ton of fun! I would also highly recommend it!

Yes there are refrigerators and safes in your staterooms. The refrigerator is an "Honor Bar". But we use it just like the fidge. Just have your cabin steward/ stewardiss open the fidge. It is locked until they unlock it for you. It is usually filled w/ all different sorts of small booze bottles and soda. If you remove / comsume something... you'll pay for it.

We use it for leftovers and medicine.

The safes are located in a small cabinet under your TV/ bar area. They can be opened w/ any credit card. Do not use your cruise card to open / close the safe. Use a credit card that you don't normally use. Here's some photos of our stateroom, # 6327, standard baccony stateroom.

Will the cabin steward remove the alcohol from the refrigerator if you request it? We didn't bother with the it last year, but this year we're going to bring sodas on board with us (if our flight gets in on time, that is). We don't drink and I would rather than have it in my face with it being unlocked and loaded with alcohol.

I know it says not to use your sign/sail card for the safe, BUT if you use one of your credit cards then you have to carry it around with you. Since I already have to carry around my sign/sail card it's so much easier. It worked for us last year on the Liberty. I don't remember why they don't want you to use it (or remember if I ever knew why). Maybe some people use a credit card and then hide it in the room. Doesn't seem smart though.

Thanks for any info. Two days to go. YAY!!!!!

Will the cabin steward remove the alcohol from the refrigerator if you request it? We didn't bother with the it last year, but this year we're going to bring sodas on board with us (if our flight gets in on time, that is). We don't drink and I would rather than have it in my face with it being unlocked and loaded with alcohol.

I know it says not to use your sign/sail card for the safe, BUT if you use one of your credit cards then you have to carry it around with you. Since I already have to carry around my sign/sail card it's so much easier. It worked for us last year on the Liberty. I don't remember why they don't want you to use it (or remember if I ever knew why). Maybe some people use a credit card and then hide it in the room. Doesn't seem smart though.

Thanks for any info. Two days to go. YAY!!!!!

In my cabin on the Legend, the steward would not remove the alcohol or sodas because they are 'revenue items' and must stay in the room. You can take them out of the fridge and put them in a cabinet if you don't want to see them all the time.

I've been told that using your S&S card in the safe will lead to the deactivation of the S&S card. Not sure whether it is true or not, but I don't think it's a good idea. We usually use a gift card from somewhere or one of our ID's. I don't like using a Credit Card in the safe for various reasons. I normally prefer to carry a money clip when I go on cruises, so the card pretty easily slides into that.

In my cabin on the Legend, the steward would not remove the alcohol or sodas because they are 'revenue items' and must stay in the room. You can take them out of the fridge and put them in a cabinet if you don't want to see them all the time.

I've been told that using your S&S card in the safe will lead to the deactivation of the S&S card. Not sure whether it is true or not, but I don't think it's a good idea. We usually use a gift card from somewhere or one of our ID's. I don't like using a Credit Card in the safe for various reasons. I normally prefer to carry a money clip when I go on cruises, so the card pretty easily slides into that.

Thanks for the reply. I never thought of using a gift card. I like that idea better than using a credit card, but then I still have to carry an extra card around. Oh well. I'm going to be on a caribbean cruise. I can handle it. LOL.

Tehy are the first photos I have seen from Victory--if I get moy orientation right--they are starboard forward on deck 12-14?? What was there before --ping pong??

It's on decks 12 and 13 forward. The serenity area takes up the starboard section of deck 12, the port section is the Camp carnival pool (bottom left of the last pic) which I never saw in use, I think they're refurbing that area up. On Deck 12 the area where Serenity is used to be the mini-golf course.

The Serenity area was packed quite often. We spent the most time there late in the evenings when we would go up there with our froyo/ice cream cones and try to watch the stars. One night a group of twenty-somethings brought an ipod jukebox up there and were jamming out having a good time. We really enjoyed the area when it wasn't packed out like crazy. They're also very good about keeping kids out of the serenity area since the slide entrance is up there.

Deck 12 - Highlighted yellow area is Serenity, Red area is Camp Carnival.

regionaj.png

regiony.png

As far as being under pool pool deck chairs-where you cabin is-the chairs are mostly the tables for eating at near the grill and at night not too much occupancy. Around 10pm may hear just a bit of movement as they reorganize them for the morning and powerspray area. Very minimal.

We much prefer being below pool vs. the aft sonds, and have also learned to avoid being within 3 cabins forward and aft from the main set of elevators intersection (the glass ones) the music comes straight up from open atrium area, but thankfully quits by midnight or a bit earlier and cannot be heard all nights (mostly "rock night" heard songs very clearly.)

Wonderful review. Thanks for sharing. We sailed on Victory twice and LOVED her, (especially the colors, but I don't miss the sea horses! :eek:) but it was pre dry dock I guess, so it was fun to see the changes. I don't recognize the Lido buffet at all!!! :confused::confused: Tara looks like she got some nice color on the cruise. Good luck to both of you with all your responsbilities and hope you can cruise again soon for some R and R :D

Wonderful review. Thanks for sharing. We sailed on Victory twice and LOVED her, (especially the colors, but I don't miss the sea horses! :eek:) but it was pre dry dock I guess, so it was fun to see the changes. I don't recognize the Lido buffet at all!!! :confused::confused: Tara looks like she got some nice color on the cruise. Good luck to both of you with all your responsibilities and hope you can cruise again soon for some R and R :D

We were pleasantly shocked by how nice everything seemed to be given the ship's age. When on Legend last year, a lot of stuff stood out as things that needed fixing in dry dock. This cruise we had hardly any of that. The lido and a lot of the public space seemed to be less glitzy than what we're used to (new word: deFarcusization?) which was great. The Lido was always very clean and we constantly saw crew members wiping things down, sweeping/mopping, and good general housekeeping.

We both got a good bit of color...she just seems to get darker and darker as the summer progresses. People think she's Mexican even though she's Irish.

Well, we're both busy this summer - me with several big bank upgrade projects at work and LSAT prep, and her with working extra hours and going to the gym twice a day.

However, we already booked a quick 3-day on the Sensation in November (weekend before Thanksgiving) so we can get away for a bit and only have to take 2 days off. Already we're counting down the days until that cruise. Next year, we've already begun the process of narrowing down the vaca we want to take next May. We have to go later in the month as her BFF is getting married the first week of May (she somehow managed to make her wedding week coincide with finals week at our college...that's going to make things interesting).

Option 1: Carnival Legend 5/20/12 7-Day Western out of Tampa (essentially a repeat of our 2010 trip, but we loved it so much we could do it again)

Option 2: Carnival Freedom 5/19/12 8-Day out of Ft. Lauderdale (St. Thomas, Antigua, Tortola, Nassau - 2 places we've been before, 2 we haven't)

Option 3: RCCL Allure of the Seas 5/20/12 7-Day Western out of Ft. Lauderdale (Labadee, Jamaica, Cozumel - something different, but a lot more pricey)

Option 4: Le Blanc Resort (all-inclusive) in Cancun

I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on what they'd choose. I had a good friend of mine just get back from Le Blanc with his Fiancee and he said it blew him away, so that's why at least I'm considering it as an option.

It's on decks 12 and 13 forward. The serenity area takes up the starboard section of deck 12, the port section is the Camp carnival pool (bottom left of the last pic) which I never saw in use, I think they're refurbing that area up. On Deck 12 the area where Serenity is used to be the mini-golf course.

The Serenity area was packed quite often. We spent the most time there late in the evenings when we would go up there with our froyo/ice cream cones and try to watch the stars. One night a group of twenty-somethings brought an ipod jukebox up there and were jamming out having a good time. We really enjoyed the area when it wasn't packed out like crazy. They're also very good about keeping kids out of the serenity area since the slide entrance is up there.

Deck 12 - Highlighted yellow area is Serenity, Red area is Camp Carnival.

regionaj.png

regiony.png

Thanks for clarification--now I can look like a 'know it all :D Where did you get a correct deck map? Mine(Carnival's website) still shows mini golf.

Option 1: Carnival Legend 5/20/12 7-Day Western out of Tampa (essentially a repeat of our 2010 trip, but we loved it so much we could do it again)

Option 2: Carnival Freedom 5/19/12 8-Day out of Ft. Lauderdale (St. Thomas, Antigua, Tortola, Nassau - 2 places we've been before, 2 we haven't)

Option 3: RCCL Allure of the Seas 5/20/12 7-Day Western out of Ft. Lauderdale (Labadee, Jamaica, Cozumel - something different, but a lot more pricey)

Option 4: Le Blanc Resort (all-inclusive) in Cancun

I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on what they'd choose. I had a good friend of mine just get back from Le Blanc with his Fiancee and he said it blew him away, so that's why at least I'm considering it as an option.

I like option 2 for the ports and the extra see day. Freedom is a great ship too.

Archived