Premium v Classic Beverage Package

missminnie

Hey

One of my old posts is back on topic! He he :D

I went for the Premium package in the end on the last cruise and did think I was drinking purely cause I had the package. HOWEVER, we sail again in 9 weeks and have both bought premium packages again - mainly cause there was an offer on and the convenience again. Just have to make sure I make use of it more with the soft drinks such as juices as didn't have any of them last time.

Great being able to order what you wanted without worrying though and tried lots of drinks I wouldn't normally as didn't want to waste my money.

• 4 months later...

Hello all!

So glad I found this thread...we are going on the Summit in 9 days and have 2 Classic Packages booked.

I am thinking of upgrading my husband's to premium since he LOVES martinis. Does anyone know if the Martini's are usually above Classic requirements?

Hello all!

So glad I found this thread...we are going on the Summit in 9 days and have 2 Classic Packages booked.

I am thinking of upgrading my husband's to premium since he LOVES martinis. Does anyone know if the Martini's are usually above Classic requirements?

Classic package carries an $8 limit. Martinis are $10. He would need the premium package.....

Had the Classic and enjoyed a few "smaller" sized martinis with minimal ingredients. Bartender said he could make those but the larger with higher end ingredients and multiple liquors will be $10. We're going Premium this time :-)

My husband is going to have the classic package as he drinks beer and wine with maybe the odd G&T. I only drink maybe a couple of glasses of wine so the package won't work for me.

I've heard that at dinner it may be difficult to attract attention for my husband to have a second glass of wine. Has anyone experienced this?

I'm planning to order a bottle of something rather nice and split it over three nights.

My husband is going to have the classic package as he drinks beer and wine with maybe the odd G&T. I only drink maybe a couple of glasses of wine so the package won't work for me.

I've heard that at dinner it may be difficult to attract attention for my husband to have a second glass of wine. Has anyone experienced this?

I'm planning to order a bottle of something rather nice and split it over three nights.

I have never had problems getting my wine with dinner having the package. And I have to say on my last cruise we didn't make it easy on the poor girl........

I was at a table for six and three or four of us were trying a lot of different wines each night....so we were not as predictable and she kept pace no problem. On other cruises I was sticking with the same wine or wines each night and that made it a lot easier for the girl to have the wine right next to the table chilling in a bucket.......

Wife and I will be taking our first Celebrity cruise in February, 2013. We have enjoyed the wine packages on Holland America, but could only find one $99 package on Celebrity; no details on it's content, quantity or quality.

I enjoy 2 or 3 glasses of wine with dinner and the occasional gin & tonic at cocktail time. My wife will have a Sprite or Diet Coke and perhaps a glass of wine at dinner. Once in a while she will enjoy a vodka and cranberry juice.

It appears that a Classic drink package would suit me if the red wines are decent and I would just pay for my wife's drinks as necessary.

Anybody have any suggestions or comments ?

Also, how stringent is Celebrity on checking for liquor when you board ? I have a special plastic carrier for vodka, gin, etc. and I have never had a problem getting it on board in my checked bag.

Wife and I will be taking our first Celebrity cruise in February, 2013. We have enjoyed the wine packages on Holland America, but could only find one $99 package on Celebrity; no details on it's content, quantity or quality.

I enjoy 2 or 3 glasses of wine with dinner and the occasional gin & tonic at cocktail time. My wife will have a Sprite or Diet Coke and perhaps a glass of wine at dinner. Once in a while she will enjoy a vodka and cranberry juice.

It appears that a Classic drink package would suit me if the red wines are decent and I would just pay for my wife's drinks as necessary.

Anybody have any suggestions or comments ?

Also, how stringent is Celebrity on checking for liquor when you board ? I have a special plastic carrier for vodka, gin, etc. and I have never had a problem getting it on board in my checked bag.

Hi from an experienced wine drinker:

I have been looking at the same thing and have quickly come to the conclusion to buy the "premium" alcohol package for myself. Have a look at the wine by the glass on the menus that have been posted and you will quickly buy the premium. Few if NONE of the reds by the glass under $8 are worth it. (even their "Celebrity" house red is more than $8)The under $12s are decent and if you are like me, I will order 3 glasses at dinner, one per course every night. Add to that a decent pour(s) of scotch and the $54 is worth it.

This decision was easy to make if you like wine and at least 1-2 drinks and a couple of lattes/cappuccinos a day.

Happy Sailing:

My first Celebrity Cruise will be in January 2013. I already bought my drink package to take advantage of the sail. We're on a 14 day cruise, so it could be pricey.

I decided to go with the premium NON alcohol package

1) $18 per day vs 54 (which means the 15% will be less as well)

2) I can drink all the water, soda, specialty coffees, smoothies I want to every day

3) On the sea days I might drink more cocktails/beer, but not on the port intensive days.

4) I can 3-4 drinks a day and be ahead of the game.

5) It's all about budget. If $54 dollars a day works for you, go for it.

6) You can always upgrade your plan the first few days if you decide you need to work your way through all the martinis on the menu!

7) $870 with service charge (less with sale) would absolutely kill me. I could go on another cruise for that amount.

• 2 years later...

I traveled with my girlfriend and another couple in 4/14 on a 7-day western Med. cruise. The classic alcohol package was included, and we debated whether to pay to upgrade to premium. We ended up doing it, but the other couple didn't, and I think we both were happy with our choices.

Initially, the "alcohol included" perk, even if you stick with classic, is awesome. Even if you don't drink that much, it's nice to order a drink by the pool, or at dinner, without noting, in the back of your mind, that you just got gouged.

I'm not sure that upgrading to the premium package was a good value II don't care about the difference between an Absolute Bloody Mary and a Kettle One Bloody Mary), but it was nice to not worry about the cost of the drinks. There are, however, a few really cool bars onboard that ONLY serve premium drinks, so unless you upgrade, you can't drink there.

For me, the $11/person/day cost to upgrade was a no-brainer, but the other couple we traveled with thought it was a waste of money. To each his own, and as I said, regardless of whether you upgrade, being able to get a drink just by flashing your card is very sweet!

Hey All

Just looking through our options as not sure whether to get 1 classic for me and 1 premium for other half. This is probably a really stupid question but I like the drinks in the classic selection but would like to have cocktails/martinis/wines which are probably more than $8 per drink etc so thinking of 2 premium packages but does the premium also include that of the classic package? i.e I don't see drinks such as Irish cream, absolut, malibu etc mentioned in the premium but they are in the classic and can't see any mention that the premium includes the classic but also in addition x&y. It says all the benefits of the premium non alcoholic but not classic

Could someone clarify this for me please?

Classic worked fine for us. Save the $'s.

I traveled with my girlfriend and another couple in 4/14 on a 7-day western Med. cruise. The classic alcohol package was included, and we debated whether to pay to upgrade to premium. We ended up doing it, but the other couple didn't, and I think we both were happy with our choices.

Initially, the "alcohol included" perk, even if you stick with classic, is awesome. Even if you don't drink that much, it's nice to order a drink by the pool, or at dinner, without noting, in the back of your mind, that you just got gouged.

I'm not sure that upgrading to the premium package was a good value II don't care about the difference between an Absolute Bloody Mary and a Kettle One Bloody Mary), but it was nice to not worry about the cost of the drinks. There are, however, a few really cool bars onboard that ONLY serve premium drinks, so unless you upgrade, you can't drink there.

For me, the $11/person/day cost to upgrade was a no-brainer, but the other couple we traveled with thought it was a waste of money. To each his own, and as I said, regardless of whether you upgrade, being able to get a drink just by flashing your card is very sweet!

You are misinforming people. Yes, there are bars onboard that serve what you say are "premium" drinks, such as the martini bar, but ANYONE can drink there, whether you have a drink package or not.

Almost all drinks would be included with a premium package. Anything over the $13 allowance, you just pay the difference.

If you have a classic package, you will pay full price for anything over the allowances in that package. ($6 beer, $8 mixed cocktail, $9 wine)

If you don't have a package at all, you pay per drink, added to your onboard account.

Celebrity does not have specific bars were only certain packages are used.