12 hours in Anchorage

Front Row

We'll be in Ancorage for 12 hours, we plan on renting a car, but don't know which way to go, as we will be arriving from Whitter. We thought we'd either go north towards Denali or east towards Copper River.

Which way would you go? We're looking for the most scenic and the best chance for wildlife.

Any ideas? TIA

We'll be in Ancorage for 12 hours, we plan on renting a car, but don't know which way to go, as we will be arriving from Whitter. We thought we'd either go north towards Denali or east towards Copper River.

Which way would you go? We're looking for the most scenic and the best chance for wildlife.

Any ideas? TIA

I'm not sure I understand your question. Do you want to skip Anchorage?

With 12 hours and coming from Whittier, you could explore the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center http://www.alaskawildlife.org/ and take the tram ride up to the top of Mt. Alyeska (at the Alyeska Resort) in Girdwood. Both are very close to Whittier. The road back to Anchorage, along Turnagain Arm, is very scenic. As always, your chances of seeing wildlife are just that...chances and not guarantees.

I, for one, believe that there are interesting things to see in Anchorage. The Alaska Native Heritage Center, Anchorage Museum and even the Alaska Zoo. But do some basic research of your own to see what else is out there.

With all of the things to see between Whittier, Girdwood and Anchorage, you have plenty to see without skipping them entirely.

Archived