Downgrade?

Good news. I emailed Carnival yesterday after I got nowhere with the folks on the phone. The email is below, minus the individuals name.

Still got a few things to go back and forth with them. They downgraded me and gave me a $880 ship board credit, however they took away my $100 on board credit for booking this cruise on our last cruise. I don't think that is right.

Also, I priced out the same balcony room I downgraded to and it is cheaper than what they are giving it to me for. I've emailed again asking that they re-instate the $100 credit as well as lower my rate on the room. I don't think it's asking too much. Just want the same deal that everyone else could get right now.

I'm glad I emailed and the mail made it to the right people. I don't think I was asking for anything over the top.

Thanks Carnival....Hopefully we can straighten out the few remaining details.

--------- Email Response ---------

Hello Mike,

Thank you for contacting Carnival Cruise Lines. We appreciate the opportunity to be

of assistance.

We are happy to be welcoming you back with us. We have reviewed your reservation and

have two offers for you. You may upgrade to the GS suite and pay the difference or

down grade to an 8N and receive the lower rate and the difference will be applied as

onboard credit. We attempted to contact you earlier today to advice of offers ,but

we were unable to reach you. Please give us a call 1-800-327-9501 at your earliest

convinced due to these offer are based on availability. We hope you have a great

cruise and happy 20th anniversary.

If there is anything else we can do for you please don't hesitate to ask.

Cordially,

Carnival Cruise Lines

-------- Original Email to Carnival --------

Hello,

I just got off the phone with Carnival and am hoping this finds it's way to the

right person.

My wife and I booked a Spa Suite for our 20th Anniversary, however we didn't realise

the no smoking policy also included the balcony. It wasn't until we printed our

documents that we noticed this.

So I called to see about getting our room downgraded to a lower level suite and use

the savings as ship board credit. We will certainly be spending it all on the ship

:)

Anyways, I was told that we can't downgrade and there are no suites available in the

class we are booked. She did offer to up sell me to a Grand Suite. I'd prefer not to

pay additional charges. I guess I don't understand why we couldn't downgrade to a

balcony suite. This is our 4th cruise with Carnival and think we've shown our

loyalty :)

If there is anything you could do it would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, this

is our 20th and want everything to be perfect.

Please feel free to call me.

Thank you for your time.

- Mike

You would think they would proofread better. I know Im a terrible speller but you would think they would have spell checker and glance at it.

We attempted to contact you earlier today to advice (advise) of offers ,but

we were unable to reach you. Please give us a call 1-800-327-9501 at your earliest

convinced (convenience) due to these offer are based on availability.

You would think they would proofread better. I know Im a terrible speller but you would think they would have spell checker and glance at it.

Spellcheck can't correct sentence structure - although if they have grammer and spelling it would have - and the words were spelled properly. You are so right.... somebody should proofread to make sure that it makes sense!

My wife and I booked a Spa Suite for our 20th Anniversary, however we didn't realise the no smoking policy also included the balcony. It wasn't until we printed our documents that we noticed this.

.....everyone should use a spell checker. ff333 was correct that the others would not get picked up as spelling errors.

Although, I am quite amazed at my Samsung Fascinate phone. Instead of typing a text message I can speak and it will type everything for me. And more times than not, when words are spoken with multiple spellings (bear, bare), it will choose the correct word.

wasiii

ps I used a spell checker on this post too. ;)

I can forgive the grammar and spelling mistakes...I've never claimed to be an English major :)

Anyhow, I hope to hear back from Carnival today. I don't think it's right that they took away the $100 on board credit since it wasn't tied to the 'Spa Suite', but rather to booking a cruise while on a cruise. They made no mention of any penalties for changing/downgrading, so I can only assume they chose the high price for that room. Which btw is even cheaper this morning when I checked.

Am I out of line here?

My personal opinion is since it is past the refund date on the cruise booked, you should be thankful you are getting any type of credit as I don't see where/why they would be obligated to do so...

I can forgive the grammar and spelling mistakes...I've never claimed to be an English major :)

Anyhow, I hope to hear back from Carnival today. I don't think it's right that they took away the $100 on board credit since it wasn't tied to the 'Spa Suite', but rather to booking a cruise while on a cruise. They made no mention of any penalties for changing/downgrading, so I can only assume they chose the high price for that room. Which btw is even cheaper this morning when I checked.

Am I out of line here?

They are cutting you a huge break and it's still not good enough? You're out of line. Take the offer and be grateful.

Am I out of line here?

I wouldn't worry so much about the $100 obc. That's probably the cost of getting the change done in the first place.

I would, however, make sure they are charging you the correct rate for 8N as they said they would.

Archived