Galapagos Itinerary Change?

KC Dan

We are booked for January 1, 2012 on the Xpedition. Today I heard that there has been an itinerary change. I called the Xpedition desk and learned that it is true but they could not give me the new itinerary. I was aware that there was a mandated change beginning it 2012 but that operators had until February 1, 2012 to post the new itineraries. I chose Celebrity over other ships based on the published itinerary assuming that since they have known about the change for a couple of years, that they would have it worked out.

I am disappointed that Celebrity made the change without warning passengers when they booked since they knew a change was coming. I am also disappointed that they cannot give us the new itineary.

Has anyone seen the change for the January 1, 2012 itinerary? Each 7 day cruise will have a different itinerary since they cannot stop at the same location more than once in 15 days.

Dan

I'd check here on the monster thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=29272865#post29272865 They've been discussing the new itineraries recently.

It isn't just Celebrity that needs to change, as the itineraries are set and regulated by the National Park - everyone is dealing with the same regulation changes.

That's where I learned of the change. One said the change did not take place until October 2012 and another updated that to March 2012. The National Park does not set the itineraries, only the parameters that a tour operator can only visit one stop every 15 days or put another way no two visits within 14 days to the same stop. It leaves it to the operators to establish its itineraries according to the Rules. Apparently Celebrity has done that but I cannot find out how my itinerary has changed.

That's where I learned of the change. One said the change did not take place until October 2012 and another updated that to March 2012. The National Park does not set the itineraries, only the parameters that a tour operator can only visit one stop every 15 days or put another way no two visits within 14 days to the same stop. It leaves it to the operators to establish its itineraries according to the Rules. Apparently Celebrity has done that but I cannot find out how my itinerary has changed.

We were told by our guides that the Park Service sets the sites the ship can visit, and must pre-approve all itineraries.

The park has changed the date for when the itinerary change were to to start several times. It had been Feb 1st 2011.

I'd see if you could find someone going soon to ask on board about the itinerary changes, they'd probably know more than corporate since Celebrity contracts out to the company that runs Xpedition.

Or watch here and see when they update here: http://www.galapagospark.org/embarcaciones.php?start=60

http://www.galapagospark.org/nophprg.php?page=turismo_itinerarios

Just my 2cent's worth, but I spoke with Celebrity Expedition desk re: my on-line bkkg, as I couldn't bring up my itinerary. She told me that part of the site was being updated because they had had to accommodate the requirements of the National Park, which necessitated different itineraries each 7 days and is effective in October, 2011. Since we are going Nov, 2011, our itinerary had changed. She told me they are calling them "a" and "b", and ours is "a", but she couldn't give me the specific islands. she said about 1/2 are the different, but that I should be able to view my itinerary this week. I can not as yet see it.

Archived