shoes for summer in UK

5ofusnow

I'm trying to decide on comfortable walking shoes for a July cruise going to England, Scotland, Ireland & France. I just can't decide between closed toe shoes or sandals. Not to mention what a good balance between fashion and comfort would be. Then the weather reports indicate a good chance of precipitation during the time we will be there. Any advise would be appreciated.

:confused:

I guess it boils down to what you're comfortable in. I have lots of pairs of comfortable sandals, but when I'm going to be out doing lots of walking - especially where it will be crowded, I prefer closed toe shoes. I have two different pairs of Wolky shoes that are the most comfortable shoes I've ever had. One is blue, one is brown.

Wish I could be more helpful - as an English person choice of summer shoes for us is.....wake up....look out the window....is it raining again??? Yup - closed toe shoes for us then:o

Seriously though, you should get a fair amount of dry, warm weather - more so the further south you go. Ireland and Scotland have a tendency to be wetter than southern England/France.

If you have the room, I would bring a pair of comfy closed toe shoes and a pair of sandals. Unless it's raining, I spend quite a bit of time in sandals in the summer; it may not be fiercly sunny but it tends to be quite warm.

ETA: I see you're from Fl. Our summer days are generally like a winter day in Fl. unless it's a particularly warm day (just no risk of frost and a bit wetter than you get). One Christmas we were in Sarasota, wandering around in our shorts and the locals thought we were nuts (they were dressed in jeans). We explained to them that those temperatures were like a summer's day in England. That might give you some idea.

Thanks so much for the advise! Comparing the weather to a Florida winter day really helped. So I'll take a good pair of walking sandals and a pair of non-sneaker closed-toed walking shoes and of course a dresser pair of shoes for dinners.:D

Any advise on the closed toe shoes?

If I can limit myself to 3 pairs of shoes for a 16 day trip I'm doing good! But then I have to bring my flip-flops or I might go into flip-flop withdrawal. So I guess thats 4 pairs of shoes. Hmmm

Thanks so much for the advise! Comparing the weather to a Florida winter day really helped. So I'll take a good pair of walking sandals and a pair of non-sneaker closed-toed walking shoes and of course a dresser pair of shoes for dinners.:D

If I can limit myself to 3 pairs of shoes for a 16 day trip I'm doing good! But then I have to bring my flip-flops or I might go into flip-flop withdrawal. So I guess thats 4 pairs of shoes. Hmmm

Since moving to Florida, we've returned to Ireland and the UK every summer. Beth hit all the main points (and was spot on with the winter day comparison - I use it all the time). I would also keep in mind what kind of activities you plan on doing. You could even get a closed-toe flat with a sneaker-type bottom. I know Puma has some shoes that offer the style of a cute flat with the rubber sole and comfort of a sneaker.

If you will be climbing anything or out in the fields, trainers(sneakers) should also be included in your luggage. At the very least you need a pair of shoes you won't mind getting dirty (rain = mud...not fun when you're wearing cute shoes).

The question is almost like "what is your favorite ice cream?" You have to try it to see if you like it. There are so many comfort brands out there, but all brands do not fit every foot. People have wide feet, narrow feet, narrow heel, bad toes, etc... It's like fining jeans that fit, every body shape is different.

For me, Clark's shoes work well. I also like Merrill, Naot and others. A popular brand that doesn't fit my foot is Born, but they sell millions of shoes, so they work for many.

I go in person, try on the shoe since I have a hard to fit foot. Never would I buy online, but a lot of people here love Zappos, free shipping and return (one would hope so, since they have little overhead and charge full price). You also have to make sure the shoe will be comfortable for hours on end...which means for walking excursions you really shouldn't wear new shoes. Personally, while on vacation I don't worry so much about looking like a tourist in shoes more typically worn at home. My camera, cross body bag, map in my hand will give me away.

Archived