What is the least formal you can go on formal nights

We've been used to Disney where even in the fancier restaurants exept, for one specialty restaurant at the Grand Floridian, we could wear shorts and flip flops to any meal.

So this formal night thing will be new and we mgitht even consider skipping it if it is really that big a deal. What exactly can you get away with wearing on formal night and how dressed up do you have to be for other dinners? Is it just dinner that has any kind of dress code?

Where can I find menus for MDR.

Thanks for any info. Like my name says, I'm a newbie to this all.

Most attire is suits for the men and a dress for the women. But you will see anything ranging from Tux's to Jeans. The only thing I've read about people being turned away for is tank tops for men. I've never seen shorts on formal night - not sure how they would react to that.

On the other nights I will usually wear a nice pair of jeans or khakis and a polo. It's sufficient. Basically on the casual nights I will wear what I'd wear to any decent steakhouse or fish market on land.

And there is no dress code - it's discussed ad nauseum here on these boards. It's a suggested attire and on formal nights I will typically dress down after dinner. I have no desire to wear a suit all night long, so I change into something a little more comfortable, but still nice.

Thanks. I get it. It's a suggestion. I'm sure we'll go on the more casual end of things. My adult son doesn't even own a suit :) Just something presentable.

Thanks

You're welcome. He'll be fine.. presentable will get you fed!!! :D

Just got back from the May 22nd sailing of the Allure and I was really surprised to see so many people dressed up for 1st formal night. Maybe it was because we actually dined at the MDR but most men were dressed in nice suits or dress pants, long-sleeve shirts, and ties. Ladies were also dressed beautifully. However, on the 2nd formal night, we saw everything from panama jack shirts to formal tuxes.

In response to your post, you'll be fine wearing dress pants and a blouse (ladies) or long-sleeve shirt (men). No ties needed for the gents. My opinion on formal night is that you should wear what you are comfortable with as long as its clean and decent. This is a vacation not a gala event. :D

After cruising 10 times and with luggage fees I have downsized. I wear dress capri's ( I have BROWN also BLACK)and a fancy top or I dress up my top with jewelry and/or a scarf. I love clothes amd I never feel uncomfortable in what I wear for formal nights. I like to look nice but I also want to be comfortable and this works for me.:)

During the May 1st Allure cruise - my husband wore a sport coat for the first formal night with dress pants, shirt, tie

I wore a "church" dress.

On the second formal night my husband wore dress pants and a dress shirt. I again wore a "church" dress.

After dinner on both formal nights we both changed into shorts for the rest of the evening. We never felt out of place or underdressed.

Just back from Allure Id say the majority in suits, a few tuxes. Quite a few with sport coat no tie or long sleve dress shirt and tie. Afew with just a polo or Hawaian shirt. A long seeve dress shirt & tie(which weighs nothing) and dockers you will fit in fine. Saw boys but not men in shorts on formal night.

Even for casual nights in the daily Compass it states no bare feet(yuk!), short pants, caps and tank tops permitted in the MDR or specialty restaurants. Did not see men in tank tops thank god but although this is stated daily in the compass in English and Spanish there were men in shorts and flip flops in the MDR for dinner. I know Carnival allows shorts and 50% of the men wore them. I was surprised to see alot more men then ever before on RC wearing shorts when it states they are not allowed. When making reservations on board at the Chops and Giavvis, 150 Park, Isumi, Chefs table and Sambas they will tell you no shorts or flip flops for men, so although they don't stop you from entering the MTR if you are not dressed according to the dress code, I believe you can not enter these specialty restaurants in shorts.

There were alot of men in jeans on casual night and there is nothing stating anything about jeans on casual nights. I personally find them too hot in the carribean and much heavier to pack then cotton docker type pants for DH.

There were some women in gowns but most just wore a cocktail type dress, some in just a sundress, some in dressy pants. A black knit dress that doesn't wrinkle and weighs little is my favorite with light dressy sandals for formal and capris or a sun dress for the other nights. I would suggest a cardigan to carry with you to dinner/show because some venues are chilly.

It is possble to pack lightly and dress appropriately. No flames please! Just stating what I observed.

Archived