El Yunque

suchaclassylady

I could probably put this in the Ports section, but I want lots of replies. We are booked to go to San Juan in July, I noticed the Puerto Rico's Favorites excursion notes there will be no A/C in tour bus during a portion of the ride to El Yunque. Assuming the weather will be hot and muggy in July, is it also hot and muggy in the rainforest? Would a rainforest excursion be better during a winter cruise instead?

I haven't actually gone on this tour, but have looked into it.

It's a rainforest, so it will be damp. Plus it's pretty much always warm/hot in San Juan. So I'm pretty sure it will be humid no matter what.

However, from researching it, they only turn off the air while they're going up a particular hill. Then they turn it back on. I don't think it would be too bad.

Honestly, it's miserable! That and the driver always has a "cousin" with a store.

Since I spend a lot of time in PR I usually prefer to spend it in either OSJ or the Condado or Verde strips.

The Catano tour (Bacardi) is interesting if you've not done it before.

Forest. It is beautiful! Well worth it and as I remember pretty cheap entry!!! Carnival charges waaaay to much. Like I said we had an open air jeep in August and it was hot but the breeze in the jeep was wonderful!

Middle of January but it was still pretty hot, well into the 80s.

It is true about shutting off the A/C when going up hills but it was not bad, to me anyway.

Very high humidity, you are pretty much in a cloud.

Don't know what else to say, we liked it. Our guide was good, he was a transplanted New Yorker.

Here are our pictures:

http://dodgerdigital.smugmug.com/Vacation/Caribbean-Cruise-2010/San-Juan/10995400_bnNra#768774218_Gs3T5

"Cousin" with a store, huh? Maybe I'll try a private operator instead. Thanx for the heads up!

Don't you think that the private operator might also have a "cousin with a store"?? ;)

I'm from Puerto Rico, and I can tell you that, while it's hot and muggy in general, it does feel a bit more comfortable once you get to the rainforest area. Just go prepared to sweat, even if they leave the air conditioning running the entire time. Puerto Rico, as well as the rest of the Caribbean, is oppresively hot during the summer.

My advice is to take the tour, hot or not. El Yunque is well worth the trip.

We rented a car and did it on our own. Had an amazing time!! We didnt have to pay any entry.. Left early stopped and took all the pics we wanted and got rained on! LOL! Hiked down to the the water falls and swam in it. No one was really there yet! Glad we did it on our own and early had it all to ourselves!

Got back with plenty of time to walk around and take the kids to Senor Frogs~

My advice is to take the tour, hot or not. El Yunque is well worth the trip.

Yes, the rainforrest is beautiful! But, with no A/C and all the humanity in that tiny bus, it was horrible.

I'd consider doing it again in a Jeep.

Questions such as these are actually better answered over at Trip Advisor as they have resident experts there to answer such questions.

That said, I think a lot of people don't understand that Puerto Rico is in the tropics... and while the temperatures do flucuate a little, the tropics are known for being pretty consistent year round. Also, the northern shore of Puerto Rico (San Juan and the route to El Yunque) is generally cooler than the southern side of the island. If you told me that you would have to spend 45 minutes without A/C driving through Ponce, I would tell you to skip it... however, many people drive in Puerto Rico with their windows down and no A/C. Trust me, you are not going to melt! Also, once you get into El Yunque you more than likely feel the temperatures drop by 10 degrees as you move up the mountain. It will be more humid and you have a very good chance of getting rained on around lunch time. Regardless of A/C or not, if you have never gone to El Yunque, I really suggest you visit it. After your visit there, spend some time in Old San Juan.

We did this tour w/Carnival and frankly while I remember the air being turned off once or twice it didn't seem to be a big deal at the time - it's hot and muggy anyways!

Don't miss out on the rainforest - it's worth the trip however if you don't want to book thru Carnival I'm sure you can find some independent tours that are cheaper with 'less humanity'.

Try countryside tours - when we went with the kids we hired a private driver thru them (Tony) - took us all over San Juan (5 of us) for about 5-6 hours - only $30 pp - I'm sure they could arrange something for you. :D

It is true about shutting off the A/C when going up hills but it was not bad, to me anyway.

Don't know what else to say, we liked it. Our guide was good, he was a transplanted New Yorker.

Here are our pictures:

http://dodgerdigital.smugmug.com/Vacation/Caribbean-Cruise-2010/San-Juan/10995400_bnNra#768774218_Gs3T5

Those are some of the most beautiful pictures I have ever seen !! I am originally from Puerto Rico, and I don't think I've ever taken such nice pictures as you have :D

Wow !!! truly enjoyed seeing them !! makes me want to go now...haven't been in over 3 years now...and even then it was a short quick trip to El Yunque since I was flying back out that same day :cool:

Thank you for sharing your pictures with us ;):D

We rented a car and did it on our own. Had an amazing time!! We didnt have to pay any entry.. Left early stopped and took all the pics we wanted and got rained on! LOL! Hiked down to the the water falls and swam in it. No one was really there yet! Glad we did it on our own and early had it all to ourselves!

Got back with plenty of time to walk around and take the kids to Senor Frogs~

Litewait,

Is there a car rental company close to the pier?

Thanks

Here are our pictures:

Loved the pics!

May I asked who you toured with? Carnival and independent? Also wondering about length of excursion and cost if you recall! Thanks

We hiked El Yunque on Monday and had a marvelous time with our guide, John Druitt. He picked us up at our hotel and gave us a private tour in an air conditioned van. He took us on trails that were not crowded, in fact we saw 5 people in the first 2 hours of the hike to Mt. Britton! He is charming, intelligent and extremely knowlegable about rain forests, botony and Puerto Rico. He gave us many choices as far as how long to hike and how difficult the trails. Mr. Druitt is a Brit and has lived in Puerto Rico for a long time. I will attach a link to his website is you would like more information. He was superb and very entertaining!

http://www.rainforestsafari.com/islandwalkers.htm

Thanks for all the helpful information!

I am so looking forward to visiting the Forest! I work in the headquarters office of the US Forest Service and have never seen the El Yunique. I'm sure that it will be a revitalizing experience to be reminded first hand of what my work is all about.

We are visitign PR in December and We are interested in hiking but on the shortest trail. IS it true that their are stairs you have to climb uo before you can begin your walk/hike??? My mother is 65 and has a knee replaced last year. She would love to go on on short walk but stairs night be a problem.

• 3 months later...

Archived