Alyeska to Seward, AK excursion?

akafin

We will be on cruise tour 20 in July 2011. They offer the below excursion, Has anyone taken this? How rough do the seas get? Looking for some thoughts. Thank you and see you on the high seas.

Aleska to Seward - Tour Upgrade to include Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise

Depart Alyeska for a scenic drive on Alaska’s only National Scenic Byway. Then cruise spectacular Kenai Fjords National Park, the “Denali” of marine wildlife. Watch for humpback whales, orcas, seabirds, sea lions, otters and other wildlife. Travel to the face of the Aialik Glacier and witness the most active tidewater glacier in the park as it thunders into the sea. This trip is narrated by certified captains at the helm of the most modern fleet of vessels in the state. Enjoy a complimentary lunch onboard and keep track of your route on the flat-screen monitors displaying the map of this beautiful National Park. This tour is available to guests sailing southbound from Seward to Vancouver only who wish to upgrade from the included motor coach to Seward. This tour is for guests on tour# 20 only. Please note that this cruise will spend some time in open waters. You are encouraged to take any motion sickness medication the night before this great tour.

Notes: Available for Cruise tour# 20 guests only.

Departure Times: 9:00 AM

Duration: 8½ Hours (2.5 hours narrated tour to Seward/ 6 hour cruise)

We enjoyed half this tour last year. When the seas are too rough, they turn back and give you a partial refund.

We had been many years ago and thought it was a great tour. The boats are small enough to get fairly close to birds and animals.

Several vendors offer the Kenai Fjord excursions from Seward. They can be absolutely wonderful, unless you happen to have the misfortune of being on one where a cruise ship has booked a large group that fills the boat to total capacity and everyone is packed in like sardines.

If you are at all prone to seasickness, you do need to take precautions because it is necessary to pass through an open area that can get very rough at times. Different things work for different people when it comes to preventing seasickness. In addition to taking medication in advance as they recommend, I find it helpful to wear a Relief Band, or even seabands, and bring along some ginger capsules.

Once you actually get up into the fjord, the water is calm and protected there, but you pass through the open area again on the way back.

We found the Kenai Fjords scenery and wildlife viewing to be spectacular, quite different from what is seen elsewhere.

Thank you for the information.

not sure what we should do?

I would suggest that you post your inquiry on Cruise Critic's

ALASKA Board

There you may get more responses from people who have taken Kenai Fjords cruises under a variety of different circumstances and they may have additional suggestions to offer you.

Knowing more of the pros and cons could be helpful to you in making your decision.

As Nancy stated, if the seas get rough they may turn back and limit the excursion to cruising around inside Resurrection Bay. That happened to us once. Although they gave us a partial refund, the cruise inside Resurrection Bay was disappointing because it pales in comparison to what is seen on the longer cruises that go out to the fjords.

Some of the people who had never taken the longer cruise out to the fjords didn't even realize how much they were missing.

If you can get a reply on the Alaska board from a poster there who uses the screen name Budget Queen, she is an excellent source of information about the Kenai Fjords trips as she has taken them numerous times.

We've signed up for that same cruise you described, during cruisetour 20, the first week in Sept. My TA told me that we would miss a lot of beautiful scenery on the bus trip, so now we're wondering if we should cancel the cruise. I'm interested too in the replies to your question. It just seemed to me the less time on a bus the better.

Under the best of circumstances, this is a spectacular trip with abundant wildlife viewing. The Aialik Glacier is surprisingly beautiful, and you get up close and personal. We took this trip last September, had a beautiful sunny day, saw whales and orcas and sea lions and seals and puffins and enjoyed it tremendously. But even then, there were a few people who got sick. On our previous trip to Seward, we were unable to do the full trip because the water was too rough and there were a lot of people who were sick.

There's no way to predict the weather or currents. If you are prone to motion sickness, you might want to take something just in case. The waters can be choppy, but it is a great trip. It is one I would try to do every time I was in Seward.

We've signed up for that same cruise you described, during cruisetour 20, the first week in Sept. My TA told me that we would miss a lot of beautiful scenery on the bus trip, so now we're wondering if we should cancel the cruise. I'm interested too in the replies to your question. It just seemed to me the less time on a bus the better.

I assume that your TA meant that the more scenic route is by railroad to Seward rather than by bus. The railroad does go through an area that you cannot see from the highway and is beautiful.....again under the best of circumstances.

Here's the thing....there is no way to predict what the weather will be like on the day you are traveling, just as I mentioned in my previous post to akafin. Last year we took the railroad to Seward, and it was a somewhat dreary, misty day....and we did not get a particularly scenic trip. We've also taken a bus to Seward, and we've driven it many times, and the road trip around Turnagain Arm is quite beautiful. There is much beauty in that area no matter which way you go.

I personally think the Kenai Fjords cruise is worth it, but that's a decision only you can make.

I can't remember if it was train or bus that was taking us to Seward, but the cruise for the extra money sounded so nice, so we booked it. Our TA didn't recommend it, and was going to ask someone at HAL for an opinion. We've not heard from the TA...

I do get seasick, but have already purchased the dramamine! You've really made me want to do the ship not the land! Thanks.

Archived