Re: Chair hog threads - Is it just me?

RickinNYC

On all the threads I've read on Cruise Critic, the one that everyone agrees on is the evil Chair Hogs. Is it just me, or have you never seen anyone post that they are part of that vile clan? Everyone is ready to condemn their actions (myself included), but yet, no one will smugly say they wake up at 5am just to grab some towels to save a chair or five.

I find it hard to believe that on one of the largest and most popular cruise travel planning boards that not a single Hog is in the mix. Hmmmmm.....!!!! ;)

I will come CLEAN! I do admit that our group has been known to decide the night beforehand - WHO is the lucky one that gets to grab the chairs! My feeling is that if you are willing to get up at the crack of dawn AND manage to set out enough stuff (books, suntan lotion, books, flip flops, towels, etc.) then you "win" the chair spaces! And for the record, we do NOT go out at 5:00 am - probably more like 9:00 am? And the rest of the group claims their chars within the hour....

SORRY but I just HAD to confess!

If it's a rule that people aren't supposed to "reserve" seats, then why don't you move whatever items that are in your desired spot? It's one thing if the person is in the pool, but if you know for a fact that someone is "chairhogging", why simmer in resentment? It's not like they can say anything if they ever show up.

If it's a rule that people aren't supposed to "reserve" seats, then why don't you move whatever items that are in your desired spot? It's one thing if the person is in the pool, but if you know for a fact that someone is "chairhogging", why simmer in resentment? It's not like they can say anything if they ever show up.

Some people do!

Some don't want the agravation if the chair hogger returns (if you are brazen enough to think you are in your total right to save your lounger for hours without using, you will have no issue with cussing someone out for removing your items)

Some feel very vulnerable or fear, in case the original saver comes on aggresively (especially if that person may have over indulged in their adult beverages)

Some just feel NCL made the policy, enforce it.

If you go to search type in chair hogs, it is a very talked about issue.

I have never chaired a hog or boozed smuggle.

Just kidding.

But, you are right. People seem to be a lot more willing to say they are a booze smuggler, but no one wants to claim the "chair hog" title.

Probably because the booze smugglers are proud of themselves for "putting one over" on the cruise lines. The "chair hogs" are just inconsiderate of everyone else on the ship and I imagine they know it. Nothing to be proud of there.

Hello Nina,I am glad that CC has this forum to allow folks the opertuinty to request clairification to topics discussed here. Human nature is interesting??? The chair hog problem in my experience is worse on some cruise lines. I am not sure why there is a difference, but there is.

Hello Nina,I am glad that CC has this forum to allow folks the opertuinty to request clairification to topics discussed here. Human nature is interesting??? The chair hog problem in my experience is worse on some cruise lines. I am not sure why there is a difference, but there is.

I beg to differ. My experience is that there is no discernible difference from cruise line to cruise line when it comes to chair hogging. Also reading other lines boards here, gives the same impression. One is no better, or worse, tat the other. Some, even NCL, have tried to enforce the "rule" but usual slack back to the status quo quite quickly.

PE

I beg to differ. My experience is that there is no discernible difference from cruise line to cruise line when it comes to chair hogging. Also reading other lines boards here' date=' gives the same impression. One is no better, or worse, tat the other. Some, even NCL, have tried to enforce the "rule" but usual slack back to the status quo quite quickly.[/color']

PE

Hey except that one set of photos on (I think it was a post started by Darthdaddy, a couple of weeks ago) that actually showed one cruise line that was finally stepping up to the plate and removing items.

It's even bad at resorts and some hotels. If there is loungers and water you will have chair hogs if allowed to get away with it.

Only one person has stepped up to bat and admitted it out of all the thousands who post here. Kudos for having the guts! :D Now please stand still while I apply this tar... and quit wiggling. I know the feathers tickle but it needs to be done.

Hey except that one set of photos on (I think it was a post started by Darthdaddy, a couple of weeks ago) that actually showed one cruise line that was finally stepping up to the plate and removing items.

It's even bad at resorts and some hotels. If there is loungers and water you will have chair hogs if allowed to get away with it.

As I said...some have tried to enforce and then quickly revert back to the status quo. I have seen pool attendants doing the same thing on NCL ships in the past. Some Jacka$$ gets his stuff removed and gets into the crews face and then that pool attendant is moved to a different job and the Chair Hogs win. These type of people have no qualms about confronting the crew because they think so "lowly" of them, but will rarely if ever confront their fellow passengers.

PE

As I said...some have tried to enforce and then quickly revert back to the status quo. I have seen pool attendants doing the same thing on NCL ships in the past. Some Jacka$$ gets his stuff removed and gets into the crews face and then that pool attendant is moved to a different job and the Chair Hogs win. These type of people have no qualms about confronting the crew because they think so "lowly" of them' date=' but will rarely if ever confront their fellow passengers.[/color']

PE

Thats sad,

thanks for clarifying PE and yes I guess I did miss that in your post, sorry :o

Archived