Passport expiration dates

I have read that when traveling to a foreign country, the Dept of State recommends passports be renewed at least 6 months prior to travel. In fact, they state that some countries will not allow you to enter and some airlines will not allow you to board if your passport expires within 6 months of your scheduled return. This info is on their web site. Does anyone know if this is ever enforced by airlines or foreign countries? We have just over 5 months left on our passports when we return from our cruise leaving in and out of Barcelona.

I have read that when traveling to a foreign country, the Dept of State recommends passports be renewed at least 6 months prior to travel. In fact, they state that some countries will not allow you to enter and some airlines will not allow you to board if your passport expires within 6 months of your scheduled return. This info is on their web site. Does anyone know if this is ever enforced by airlines or foreign countries? We have just over 5 months left on our passports when we return from our cruise leaving in and out of Barcelona.

This is enforced by both the airlines and the countries, the airlines dont want to be fined and have to fly you home again for submitting someone with a non valid passport

Most countries want you passport to be valid for the amount of time they "stamp you into their county" The USA will stamp Europeans in for a 3 month period, so that time is probably the same for Spain admitting Americans, in which case you will be fine, and email to the Spanish Embassy in Washington should confirm that though

I would call your TA and ask. Unless you are spending a month in Spain, then the 6 month rule would apply.

The reasoning seems to be that they don't want you stuck there for some reason (accident, illness, etc) and while you are there, your passport will expire while in a foreign country. I just don't know if this is ever enforced and wonder if anyone has any experience dealing with this. In fact I read that if you are traveling to a foreign country, the state department says the passport should be renewed if you're within 9 months of expiration. There is a list of 6 month rule countries and Spain is one of them.

I just don't know if this is ever enforced and wonder if anyone has any experience dealing with this.

My best friend has dual citizenship ( US & Belgium)... Her husband is only a US citizen... They travel to Belgium a few times a year... Usually staying for 2-4 weeks at a time...

Last year, hubby was denied at airport check-in because his passport was inside the six month expiration window (due to expire in 4 months from return)

Bottom line... He didn't get to board the plane... Rest of the family went on without him...

Be safe and renew... I wouldn't even think of messing with the State Dept. when it comes to passport rules...

My best friend has dual citizenship ( US & Belgium)... Her husband is only a US citizen... They travel to Belgium a few times a year... Usually staying for 2-4 weeks at a time...

Last year, hubby was denied at airport check-in because his passport was inside the six month expiration window (due to expire in 4 months from return)

Bottom line... He didn't get to board the plane... Rest of the family went on without him...

Be safe and renew... I wouldn't even think of messing with the State Dept. when it comes to passport rules...

Exactly why mine is in the process of being renewed. My passport will have 6 months left less a week when I go to Peru later this summer. Don't want to take a risk on missing out on that trip because I refused to renew - when everything says they require 6 months expiration on passports.

Princess told us that we must have 6 months or more on our passport to board their cruises that require passports. Yes, it is enforced. We ended up spending big bucks to get a rush on our passports. I'm sure RCI has the same requirements.

Children's' passports are valid until they are 17 then they get an adult one, is that correct? My twins are 15 (their birthday is Nov) and got their passports in April 2008 and their passports say they expire April 2013. So I'm good right? We are going to Barcelona in July. That 6 month window is a little confusing, it seems it should be stated on the passport, I would not of thought of checking that. I don't understand how they can deny you if the passport in still actually valid.

Dreamgirl9095, I believe children's passports are valid for 5 years (2008-2013 for your children) and you should not have a problem. I don't think they expire at age 17. They would just renew in 2013. But, I would double check on Dept. of State's website.

Yes, this is enforced and it's nothing to mess around with.

I suppose if you didn't want to renew your passport, this would be annoying (not that you have any say about it) but if you're going to renew anyway, why try to live on the edge? If you're within six months of your passport's expiration date, just go ahead and renew. In the scheme of things, seeing that a passport is good for ten years, trying to squeeze a few more months use out of your old one is silly.

Archived