Post cruise Miami

Minmounce

We will be returning from our Liberty cruise on Saturday Dec. 3 this year and do not fly home until Monday Dec 5. I am interested in some suggestions on things to do for those post cruise days.

One option is renting a car and driving to Key West Saturday and then returning Sunday evening and just staying near the Miami airport for the early flight home Monday.

I considered South Beach but really am not interested in more beach days after the eastern caribbean.

We also thought about Disneyworld but 230+ miles each way for a day and a half just seemed like too much.

One other thought was just getting a nicer hotel and hanging out for that time somewhere in the Miami area but am worried about going stir crazy just sitting around.

So...any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated and TIA

WDW is about a 3+ hour drive and can be a lot of fun; Key West is also about a 3+ hour drive from Miami and is a different kind of fun from WDW.:o

Traveling with family and kids? There's a great zoo in Miami and swamp tours are available that might interest some. Boat tours along some of the mansions are another popular tourist option.

Good luck! :)

Miami zoo, Miami Sea Aquarium, The Miami Dolphins have a home game against the Oakland Raiders that Sunday :D (provided there is football) :mad:!

I would spend the day searching out Miami Vice TV show locations and visit Sonny Crockett's hot spots ;)

Its a long drive to both KW and WDW compounded by the similar long drive back.

It will just be my husband and myself. We are both in our mid 40's( :eek: I'm still not sure how that happened so fast).

The football game sounds like it would be a great idea although I guess I should have a

plan B.

Honestly, I would recommend staying in South Beach or Miami Beach and experiencing everything the area has to offer. You can walk Lincoln Road or do what was suggested above. By the time you drive places (i.e. Key West or Disney) you will not have enough time to enjoy the sites.

I agree 100%. After a cruise this is a good place to just chill and gradually come back to reality. It's an easy cab ride from the port, with nice hotels, interesting shopping and excellent restaurants.

Mike

So between South Beach and Miami Beach which would be the more casual area?

I thought I read somewhere that South Beach is very upscale and full of "beautiful" people. Not that I mind people that look like models...I just don't want to stand next to them :D.

I thought I read somewhere that South Beach is very upscale and full of "beautiful" people. Not that I mind people that look like models...I just don't want to stand next to them :D.

I was at South Beach in November and yes it is full of people which made it great to people watch. Lots of things going on to keep you busy. Actually I'm going back in October with some friends precruise and looking forward to all the people watching again. It really is an "experience". I enjoyed it!

Miami beach is more "casual" , Ft.Lauderdale beach is even more casual. Both beaches might be a bit chilly, well for us Floridians maybe not for you ;)

South Beach has many more people than the "beautiful" ones and that is not always a good thing.

wow!! Thanks for the great link. I clicked on it to check out the mentioned deal and got so sidetracked with my local area that I had to start over again :D.

The big plus in that deal that's not highlighted is it includes parking at the Hyatt Pier 66/Pelican's Landing.

Pelican's landing is on the top deck of the harbor master's office at a busy "crossroads" of the Intercoastal. It's a great place just to sit, have lunch, dinner, half price happy hour and watch the yachts go by. On the weekends you can watch the cruise ships sail away.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/u/photo_list/572051?photo_id=439160

FtLauderdale04-09023.jpg

FtLauderdale04-09017.jpg

Archived