First time cruising, with kids.

justcruisin31

Hi all.

I have two young kids (ages 2 and 3) and together with my husband we're going on a 2 week cruise with Norwegian Cruise Lines later this year, aboard the Norwegian Jade. Being that we're going with kids and its our first time ever, I have a few questions and perhaps someone out there can assist me:

1) How long does boarding take? I have heard rumors from others that its a multi-hour process and so I want to know what to more or less expect so I can plan appropriately to keep the kids entertained. Is priority boarding given to those with kids, (as on planes, etc)?

2) How is excursion boarding/re-boarding organized? I imagine it to be slightly chaotic when we dock as everyone wants to get off to see the city for the day given we're limited in hours that we're there. Again, any information and advice would be appreciated.

3) Can I purchase supplies for kids on board? (ie, my youngest is still in diapers, so will I be required to bring my entire supply with me for those two weeks?)

4) We begin in Venice and return to Venice after one week to let new passengers on/let old ones off. Can we stay on the ship (we are continuing for a second week), or do we have to get off for the day?

5) For those parents who have traveled with youngsters, how comfortable were you/are you with on board activities/babysitting for kids?

6) I hear there is a gratuity charge that we are all charged, per day. Is this mandatory to pay? (I believe in tipping when I have been given good service, and not in tipping for the sake of having to automatically tip and paying someone's salary).

7) How long does it take to get off the ship after we are done our cruise?

Basically, any information you could provide would be great to know in advance so I can prepare us for a relaxing and fun holiday!

Cheers.

1. The actual boarding process probably takes about 20 minutes or so. The problem is that there are often backlogs when too many people arrive together. Most cruise lines tell you when to arrive to avoid lines.

2. If you are on a ship tour, you will be told to go to a public room. Everyone in your group is then led off together. Usually there is minimal delay since those not on ship tours are usually already gone.

4. You will get instructions towards the end of the first cruise. At most youwould have to go thru immigration and then reboard.

6. Quite a few parents have objected to paying the gratuity for their young children. Everyone has comeback after the cruise and said they not only gave the recommended amount, but tipped extra. When you see everything they will be doing for you and your children you will understand.

7. People are usually schedule for debarkation based on their onward plans. For instance those with early flights (noon or so) will get of early. Those with late afternoon or evening flights mist get off at 9:30am or 10am.

You will likely find that you run out of something or forget something for the kids that is now available on the ship. Ask your waiter or cabin steward, they will know all the places to shop near the port.

What many do not understand about auto tipping on cruise ships is that those tips go to more than just the people you actually see and in reality, you and other passengers ARE paying the biggest part of their salaries because that's how it's structured. Not only do the servers you see in the MDRs in the evenings work there, but many will be found in the buffet bussing tables, assisting passengers with carrying trays, etc, or around the pool working in those venues during the day. Don't forget the ones who serve the food in the buffet. But please note that the people who work in the Kid's Crew are not included in the auto tips and should also be tipped.

Most of us would rather the lines include the tips in the fares upfront and then we can tip over and above for special service (we tipped a total of $100 over the auto tips just last week - not just to one person), but alas, the cruise industry has not done that yet.

I would bring your entire supply of diapers, wipes, baby shampoos, etc because I've not found those aboard. They won't have toddler foods (like in the jars or boxes) but you can cut up foods for them. If there's a special snack besides something like Cheerios or another very common cereal, you should bring some of that as well.

Hi all.

I have two young kids (ages 2 and 3) and together with my husband we're going on a 2 week cruise with Norwegian Cruise Lines later this year, aboard the Norwegian Jade. Being that we're going with kids and its our first time ever, I have a few questions and perhaps someone out there can assist me:

1) How long does boarding take? I have heard rumors from others that its a multi-hour process and so I want to know what to more or less expect so I can plan appropriately to keep the kids entertained. Is priority boarding given to those with kids, (as on planes, etc)? It depends on when you arrive...if you arrive at peak times, such as between 10:30 and noon or 1pm (say if you have a 4pm sail time), it will be a bit crowded. If you don't mind showing up after noon, you might find less waiting.

2) How is excursion boarding/re-boarding organized? I imagine it to be slightly chaotic when we dock as everyone wants to get off to see the city for the day given we're limited in hours that we're there. Again, any information and advice would be appreciated. It depends on the port, if there is a tender, etc. If you are on a cruise sponsored excursion, usually you are given priorty to leave the ship. If you are on a private excursion, there is usually a meeting time right at the port. I haven't encountered an excursion yet where the time was really close to arrival time of the ship...usually you do have some time to get to the excursion. If you can wait even 30 minutes or an hour, depending on start time of your excursion, it will be easier to get off without the crowds. I always print off the excursion confirmation (if not booked through the ship), just so I remember where to meet, time, etc.

3) Can I purchase supplies for kids on board? (ie, my youngest is still in diapers, so will I be required to bring my entire supply with me for those two weeks?) I would bring them...quantities are usually limited and expensive on the ship, however, go to the port of call boards for all your ports and post this question, becuase someone should be able to tell you if there is a drug store or something right in the port area that can sell you diapers...that way you can buy some during your trip.

4) We begin in Venice and return to Venice after one week to let new passengers on/let old ones off. Can we stay on the ship (we are continuing for a second week), or do we have to get off for the day? Some cruises let you stay on, and others make you get off. Definitely post this question on either your roll call board or on the cruiseline board.

5) For those parents who have traveled with youngsters, how comfortable were you/are you with on board activities/babysitting for kids? We were on Carnival, and I felt very comfortable leaving my kids at Camp Carnival. I would probably feel OK leaving them with onboard babysitters as long as I know the cruise line does a background check on the people they provide. THe activities for kids seem very fun, and my kids loved everything!

6) I hear there is a gratuity charge that we are all charged, per day. Is this mandatory to pay? (I believe in tipping when I have been given good service, and not in tipping for the sake of having to automatically tip and paying someone's salary). While these tips aren't mandatory, I hope you will find the crew do earn them. If you have bad service, certainly you can remove the tips, but usually we have very good service. A few times in the dining room we have had slow service, but I still leave the tips on...I just don't tip extra at the end. After I read the book called "Cruise Confidential", it opened my eyes to some of the reasons service may not always be at 100%...not saying you should have to suffer, but I know sometimes it's not in the server's control. Anyway...

7) How long does it take to get off the ship after we are done our cruise? Usually there are groups for debarkation. You will usually get a group number and that is the time you get off. Some people will get off earlier than their group or zone, but usually the luggage comes off by group number (you usually put your luggage out the night before), so if you get off before your group, your luggage won't be there until your group is called. Some cruise lines have self-debarkation, which are the first people off, but you have to carry all of your luggage off. It was just too much for us with two kids with us...maybe if just the two of us, but not for the four of us...

Basically, any information you could provide would be great to know in advance so I can prepare us for a relaxing and fun holiday!

Cheers.

I hope you enjoy your cruise! I loved taking the kids (mine are a bit older than yours)...

Someone may have been on a similar itinerary and have more specific advice.

We last cruised when our youngest had just turned 3 yrs on NCL Sun. There was no priority boarding for people with children, although I have heard that if there are not too many children on the ship they will give priority. It's not always the case though, because they can't do this when over 50% of the ship is children ;) I would guess being in Europe you will get some sort of priority.

As for supplies, bring everything you need. There were some diapers in the gift shop but they were very expensive and I'm not sure they had every size. Ditto to previous comments about food, just remember the local laws about bringing fruit etc across boarders. Cheerios and granola bars are fine ;)

I was very comfortable leaving my boys at the Kids Club, the staff were great and seemed very accustomed to easing kids into their program. The program was age appropriate and TV time was limited. There were also family activities where parents were expected to attend but the activity was run by the kids club staff.

The DSC...leave it, they earn their DSC cleaning up after the kids meals!

Disembarkation varies by port, but we had to get a "ticket" for a certain time slot, starting at 9am and going every 30 mins. There was also a self-disembarkation option starting at 8:30am, but you have to be able to carry all your luggage yourself. The catch at the Port of Tampa is that you also had to have a free hand to hold the escalator, so if you didn't they made you take the elevator. We walked by a very long line of very upset people when we disembarked at 9am. So I would ask lots of questions and take a good look at the port set up before using this option with kids.

FWIW I found baby wearing very helpful during embarkation and disembarkation. The ports are not always stroller friendly and in my Ergo, DS2 was less likely to get hit by people's bags etc as we walked through the crowd.

Follow up question re debarkation, if it depends on your flights does this mean you should enter your flights in your details (cruise personaliser) if arranged independently? Or do they ask you this on the ship? We are traveling princess. Thanks

We cruised out of Venice, took the free Norw. Jade shuttle from P.le Roma, from there 1 or 2 blocks walk with luggage. When you register for boarding, they give you a card with the number, and you wait till your number is called. I don't think they allow families with children go first, they do it by the cabin type, but you can ask when you register.

The waiting area had juice and cookies when we were there last month, and of course restroom. I didn't see diapers being sold on the ship.

If the ship is docked, you just walk off. If tendered, you get tickets and listen to announcements when to go downstairs. Those announcements are also on TV in your cabin, probably channel 23.

I think you have to get off the ship for short time for passport control or something like this... oh, by the way, do you have passports for your children?

Tips will be added to your account. It's on the website, how much.

In the buffet on Jade there is a children section, when you walk in, it's on the left side. Low chairs, low tables, kiddie food. I think they have juice all day in that section.

A few days before the end of the cruise they will give you some paperwork to fill out - how and when you want to get off the ship. We bought the ship transfer to the airport, there also were free shuttles to P.le Roma and taxis. They call people by the tag color so you can find your luggage right away. The luggage is put outside the night before.

Archived